IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Silver Surfer!

BeaIank

8 hours ago, RH said:

Jeez, you guys who can beat this game in one life play to much vidja games.

I like this game and to be fair, it’s really not that difficult. It’s also fairly short. 
I won’t be beating it in one life. But, I can see how people do it. I just don’t  have the patience for a 1 life. I die In stupid places after multiple levels and hate having to go back to the first place I started. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Richardhead said:

I like this game and to be fair, it’s really not that difficult. It’s also fairly short. 
I won’t be beating it in one life. But, I can see how people do it. I just don’t  have the patience for a 1 life. I die In stupid places after multiple levels and hate having to go back to the first place I started. 

It’s a favorite of mine for nostalgia. But it’s not terribly difficult. It’s lapse in focus that will get you. It’s an aight game all things considered. Imo.

6 hours ago, Richardhead said:

5 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

It’s a favorite of mine for nostalgia. But it’s not terribly difficult. It’s lapse in focus that will get you. It’s an aight game all things considered. Imo.

No, this games doesn’t feel difficult in the way where some games require you to nail multiple button presses within a couple of frames.  The controls on this one are extremely tight (which I actually prefer) and So far everything appears to be deterministic rather than random.

I watched the World of Longplays video on this one and I think it actually does seem long for an NES game that doesn’t have repeating levels.

No, this doesn’t feel impossible but it does feel like a game that would take a looooot of practice at to get good at. Again, if this were a game where you had to hit frame-perfect button mashes, I’d be hopeless but this one does feel conquerable.  It would just take me a very, very long time.  In that way, I feel this game is more “difficult” than Battletoads.

I do like this one, though. I may never beat it (well, honestly without save states) but I could see myself enjoying playing this one a bunch more so I might even pick up a copy.

I’m not knocking the game.  I’m just saying it has a learning curve to every stage and it feels like a long game for me to have to learn by trial and error.  That’s all.

• Like 1

Well crap.  I played this game a bit yesterday and I have a photo of a participation score.  I went back to play it again today and now my Switch Pro controller is on the fritz within Retroarch. 

Uuuuugh. I really wanted to NOT be in dead last this week but if I can't figure this out I probably will be.

57 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

What the hell is this!??! I finally figure out what I can run into and what I cant to avoid dying on the horizontal level and they switch to vertical? This looks like a whole new game. Sonsa bitches

Yeah, with this game you just have to play the game over and over to learn the levels; there's no way around it, unfortunately...

On 7/24/2022 at 8:01 PM, BeaIank said:
On 7/24/2022 at 5:08 PM, docile tapeworm said:

Is it ok to accidentally play worse at the end stage bosses in order to rack more points?

Yes, it is okay to willingly play worse at the end stage bosses to grind points.

Ok, gotta point out that on at least 2 stages and probably more, one can simply park their surfer during the boss fight and shoot enemies indefinitely = anyone can play one stage of one level for a long time and easily beat out someone who 1 - Life'd the game and figured out how to blast everything along the way like a pro.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PII said:

Ok, gotta point out that on at least 2 stages and probably more, one can simply park their surfer during the boss fight and shoot enemies indefinitely = anyone can play one stage of one level for a long time and easily beat out someone who 1 - Life'd the game and figured out how to blast everything along the way like a pro.

Yup. That’s what Skinny is talking aboot on page 1. “Can you accidentally suck at the bosses?”

I unfortunately don’t have the patience. I really wanna just 1 life the game. I am so damn close. Those fucking pumpkins though…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PII said:

12 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Yup. That’s what Skinny is talking aboot on page 1. “Can you accidentally suck at the bosses?”

I unfortunately don’t have the patience. I really wanna just 1 life the game. I am so damn close. Those fucking pumpkins though…

That’s why I got the vcr out. I’m going to try (time permitting) to get a run recorded showing I took out bosses quickly. 

there has to be a way to rule games that break point systems with this flaw (scrolling shooters that stop on bosses where you can park and rack points). Time is one idea. low score just breaks the experience, fun in some aspects but I wanna blast shit merica!!! Another thought would be a point total bullseye that would be lower than what an actual legit max score would be, so to implement some low score tactics but still allow for blasting shit. Like if an actual legit max score without racking is 800,000 then set a mark (for completed games) at 700,000 and get as close to hitting it without going over. It would take a good bit a research to find out a legit max score clear that might be to much work for a weekly contest though lol.

21 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Dude you can do it I have played a few times this week I haven’t done very well so far but I have done it before and Im still comfortable with the game. If I can get a little time and groove I think I can. I haven’t been to magic land in a while so it might be a speedbump I can’t make it over but I’m gonna try like hell. I don’t think I’ll have time to learn a high score route but I would like a 1LC.

Events Team · Posted

Requiring a video recording (aka lowest time + highest score) can also work for a short game like this.
I am not found of low score for shooters. It is not fun at all on them.
Progress + highest score also can work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Requiring a video recording (aka lowest time + highest score) can also work for a short game like this.
I am not found of low score for shooters. It is not fun at all on them.
Progress + highest score also can work.

The only issue with progress +high score is two people who clear. It would become a war of attrition with who was willing to sit and rack longer.

Edited by docile tapeworm

14 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

there has to be a way to rule games that break point systems with this flaw (scrolling shooters that stop on bosses where you can park and rack points). Time is one idea. low score just breaks the experience, fun in some aspects but I wanna blast shit merica!!! Another thought would be a point total bullseye that would be lower than what an actual legit max score would be, so to implement some low score tactics but still allow for blasting shit. Like if an actual legit max score without racking is 800,000 then set a mark (for completed games) at 700,000 and get as close to hitting it without going over. It would take a good bit a research to find out a legit max score clear that might be to much work for a weekly contest though lol.

The problem is that you're then encouraging limited point scumming to get to the exact number of points you need for whatever magic number everyone's shooting for, and the idea is supposed to be to eliminate point scumming, not encourage a predetermined amount... 🤷‍♂️

If this game didn't have a level select, progress plus high score would work, as only the guys who actually get far into the game would get the top spots.  Other than that, the only real solution is to make everyone record their run and do fastest completion, at which point participation would probably take a dive.

My best no-death run so far ended on the second last level, and I was in the 600's, so I'm thinking that a normal no-death run of this game would ball-park somewhere in the 700's; ergo, if someone ends up with a ridiculously high score, I guess we'll all know how he "acheived" it...

6 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Dr. Morbis hey that’s pretty good best I’ve gotten so far is 487k

i don’t mind point pressing when it is limited. The only time it is an issue is when there is safe spot that can be pressed infinitely.

You know, we’re all adults and honest around here, maybe the rule (or soft rule we all agree too) needs to be you can boss points press but if there are safety zones, we will avoid them.

I know that then there is a safe spot, it’s hard to not want to naturally gravitate to that spot, but it can be done.  

Alternatively, name the two stages where it’s easy to do this and say no points pressing on just those two stages.

7 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Dr. Morbis hey that’s pretty good best I’ve gotten so far is 487k

i don’t mind point pressing when it is limited. The only time it is an issue is when there is safe spot that can be pressed infinitely.

Like the fishes. I could sit there all day and just mash b while watching Netflix. 
1st place here I come!

• Haha 1