IGNORED

Name a game (or games) you like from a genre you normally dislike.

Lynda Monica

Similar to another thread I made, but this may apply to more people. ๐Ÿ™‚

There's so often an exception when it comes to personal preference, and video games genres can be very good at causing a hard stance to waver, if only once or twice.

Earlier today I was thinking about the Wii, reminiscing about a game so awesome that it made me set aside my dislike of rhythm games.

51rM-ICTGiL._AC_.jpg.f82759cf105b440401e0cc60c53fd380.jpg

I didn't grow up listening to band music, and have always had a strong aversion to it. When I hear people endlessly talk about their favourite bands as if they're legendary heroes, it immediately makes me not want to listen to their music. I prefer instrumental music, and get super turned off by band members acting like they're some sort of legend for writing a damn song.

Now I'm not trying to annoy people by saying all this, but what I AM saying is that this aversion to band music has led me to really dislike rhythm games. For every rhythm game that comes out, I have to put up with the same hundred or so songs that get replayed all the time no matter where you go, and the last thing I want to do is play along to them with a toy guitar as if I myself am some no talent wannabe rock star.

Yet out of nowhere comes DJ Hero, a bizarre rhythm game featuring a genre of music I've never heard before, with original mash ups of SONGS I've never heard before, all while using an extremely weird turntable controller.

I took a gamble on it as it was pretty expensive when it first came out, and it turned out to be one of the greatest games I played on the Wii, and one of the absolute best first playthroughs of any game I've played. It was such a breath of fresh air to hear a really cool genre of music not tainted by the image of old men drooling on their rock albums, and the entire experience was so much fun that no rhythm game has ever come close to matching the party that was DJ Hero.

I could post the entire soundtrack here since I love almost every mix in the game, but I'll be a good girl and only post my favourite one.

DJ Hero 2 unfortunately played it a lot more safe, and I'm not a big fan of it as a result. The first DJ Hero will live on in my memories though as one of the best games of all time.

How about you? What games shattered your genre boundaries? It doesn't have to be limited to genres where there's only one exception, so even if there's three or four games you like out of dozens you've tried, it still counts!

Events Helper ยท Posted
6 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Pokemon.ย 

Hate RPGs but this fisher price, my 1st RPG could be a potential gateway. Chrono trigger was incredible but other than that, nothing else has caught my eye.ย 

have u heard the good word of final fantasy brother.......namely ff3 in the u.s.

Hot take, it's a billion times better than chrono trigger ๐Ÿ˜‰ย ย 

let the hate begin......

• Agree 1

Events Helper ยท Posted
28 minutes ago, phart010 said:

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
How did you come to this conclusion?ย 

the billion times better or the hate?ย  lol, I'll be honest, I think ff3 is a much more solid game, maybe it's not a BILLION times better, but it's the better game overall.ย ย 

19 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

the billion times better or the hate?ย  lol, I'll be honest, I think ff3 is a much more solid game, maybe it's not a BILLION times better, but it's the better game overall.ย ย 

FF3 is๐ŸคŒย but Chrono Trigger is ๐Ÿ‘

Edited by phart010

Events Helper ยท Posted
Just now, phart010 said:

FF3 is ๐Ÿ‘Œ but Chrono Trigger is ๐Ÿ‘

idk, I didn't get the chance to play/beat as a kid much, but I played the shit out of ff3, I guess we agree to disagree, I'm not gonna say u are wrong with your opinion kuz, both are good, I just like ff3 more ๐Ÿ˜‰

I can't stand a traditional sports game, but NBA Jam/Hang-Time are pure classics.

I like football the least of all sports, but I've heard so many good things about NFL Blitz, I've wanted to give it a try, but I highly doubt it could hold my attention like the NBA Jam series.

• Like 2

Editorials Team ยท Posted

The only wrestling game worth a shit (other than maybe WWF Arcade for it silliness) is Saturday Night Slam Masters.

And I don't want to hear about your nostalgic delusions when it comes to N64 games!

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

And I'm clearly the one who is right, not the millions of people who disagree with me.ย  Or at least that's what my ego is trying to tell meย ๐Ÿคฃ

5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

The only wrestling game worth a shit (other than maybe WWF Arcade for it silliness) is Saturday Night Slam Masters.

Yeah, wrestling games are pretty unbearable for me. SNSM is one of the only ones I can tolerate...but that's primarily because it is less like a "wrestling game" and more like a "fighting game".

Honestly, 99% of sports-related games do nothing at all for me but there are some notable exceptions. Tecmo Bowl/Tecmo Super Bowl, Ice Hockey, NBA Jam and a couple others. I don't count sports games with fantasy elements (like Mutant League Football, Kirby's Dream Course, Blood Bowl, etc.) because it is the injection of the fantasy elements that make them interesting to me, not the sports themselves.

5 hours ago, RH said:

I like football the least of all sports, but I've heard so many good things about NFL Blitz, I've wanted to give it a try, but I highly doubt it could hold my attention like the NBA Jam series.

Football is also one of my least-favorite sports. NFL Blitz is amusing for a couple minutes...but it didn't have the same charm as NBA Jam for me and I quickly get bored with it.

• Thanks 1

Iโ€™m not big on 2D fighters but I can play Virtua Fighter 2/Fighting Vipers/Fighters Megamix any day of the week

On 7/12/2022 at 7:35 AM, Jeevan said:

have u heard the good word of final fantasy brother.......namely ff3 in the u.s.

let the hate begin......

The first time I read this I thought it said โ€œFF13โ€ is a billion times better than Chrono Trigger

• Haha 3

On 7/14/2022 at 12:03 AM, Bighab said:

Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie for the Super Famicom. I'm not a shooter fan because I generally suck big time at them. I loved the Macross anime back in the day so I grabbed this long ago and enjoyed it.

Such an utterly fantastic game.ย  Was the first game I imported through ebay back in the 1990s, recently got SFC back in my hands this year, was the first one I bought again online to re-acquire.ย  Shooters like or not, it's like required play if you love Macross as it's just that damn good.

• Like 1

Strategy/sim games: Civilization (the entire series)

Racing: Mario Kart 8 (and a lot of other MK games)

ย 

I think that's it for genres that I dislike. It's not even that I have anything against strategy games, I respect them well enough. I just rarely enjoy the act of playing them.

Edited by Sumez

Graphics Team ยท Posted

I donโ€™t like sports games, but video golf is great. All kinds, from Atari Golf (which Iโ€™ve always been an advocate for) to Neo Turf Masters (which any bandwagon fan would acclaim).

I also enjoy Super Smash Bros (Brawl) even though Iโ€™m not a fan of fighting games. I know some people donโ€™t consider it a fighter, but it's close enough.

-CasualCart

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/12/2022 at 8:35 AM, Jeevan said:

let the hate begin......

I'd personally take Chrono Trigger over FF3/6 any day, but I think you can make a very strong argument to defend this stance. FF6 is 10/10 game in its own right.

I don't think there is any genre I specifically dislike, so I nothing immediately comes to mind. I've never played a visual novel and the idea sounds terrible, but I did like Telltale's The Walking Dead and am looking forward to trying out the AI games soon, so maybe that will be my answer.