IGNORED

Name a game (or games) you like from a genre you normally dislike.

Lynda Monica

I hate hate HATE visual novels and point and click adventure games. Danganronpa, Phoenix Wright, 999, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island...no thanks. I've bought a bunch hoping to like them over the years and ended up selling them all. The only exception is The House in Fata Morgana, which might be in my top 25 games of all time.

Edited by Philosoraptor

10 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I don’t like sports games, but video golf is great. All kinds, from Atari Golf (which I’ve always been an advocate for) to Neo Turf Masters (which any bandwagon fan would acclaim).

-CasualCart

Very much agree with this part of the post.  Video golf, at least once it was refined enough with like NES Open Tournament Golf, Mario Golf aka HotShots, and Neo Turf Masters MVS and NGPC.  There have been others but those are like total standouts.  I don't much care for it, don't watch it, but that's just chill and fun trying to nail that drive and puts, or get a crazy long chip that gets in either nicely or with a clink of a pin shot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Ever play Advance Wars on the GBA? I'm not big on turn based games either, but this was a fun game!

Well said.  I really really hate strategy/tactical turn based RPG style games, they're infuriating to me.  I prefer straight up turn based RPGs or having direct control, games like these feel like they should have direct control more like a RTS given the layout.  I don't like just giving my freedom of control over giving a suggestion and leaving the AI to not stupid it up and get killed basically leaving it up to a game of chance, rolling the dice.

That said Advance Wars 1 (just got 2 the other day) I do enjoy, it's not detestable.  I have a short list of them I can deal, Ogre Battle on SNES is another, Nectaris on the PCE/TG16 is a third and PowerDolls on PC/DOS is a fourth.  But these are a sliver of a huge set of games I can't tolerate.  I still can't finish them as the mechanics wear away at me, but the presentation and design is just that good I can put enough hours into it to be satisfied and not feel like I wasted my time, money, and efforts so that says something.

• Like 1

Thought of another one: World of Warcraft. I generally dislike MMOs for many reasons - too time consuming, toxic communities, boring and clunky gameplay, etc, but perhaps because I've been playing it since 2004, but WoW is the only MMO I've tried that I've stuck to. It's  just so fluid, I really enjoy the aesthetics, story and gameplay. I know it gets a lot of shit from people but I truly still think it's the best MMO thus far. And I've tried a lot of them, but came to the conclusion I just don't like the genre, except for World of Warcraft.

@AstralSoul For me, it would never be that due to the monthly charge, but I did years of Guild Wars, you bought the packs, but didn't pay a maintenance fee, same with the current still long running sequel Guild Wars 2 which they designed to basically ripoff WoW but taking the long list of complaints about that franchise and correcting them in theirs which really attracted in quite a lot of players.  The only reason I quit both, my then best friend had a heart attack and died, we co-lead a guild on both and I just folded it as my motivation was done.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 11:22 AM, RH said:

I can't stand a traditional sports game, but NBA Jam/Hang-Time are pure classics.

I like football the least of all sports, but I've heard so many good things about NFL Blitz, I've wanted to give it a try, but I highly doubt it could hold my attention like the NBA Jam series.

I'm a big NBA jam fan and was a big NFL blitz fan growing up as well. I never really watched or played football either, and still don't but blitz and even NFL and NBA street we so fun. And fifa street. 

I can't stand FPS games where you just run around killing random people over and over again in a 3D environment; the very thought of it bores me to tears.  That being said, I've been playing Goldeneye off and on since 1998, and I still get the itch to throw it in and give it a play-through every couple of years...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

I'm not that far off from that, there are select few I enjoy, Wolfenstein 3D is one, Doom/Heretic is another, there are others, but not much and lesser as time goes along, but I do enjoy the Call of Duty 1+2, and earlier MOH PC ones based on real(ish) WW2 campaigns before they had the regenerating health cowardice mechanic. 🙂

On 7/18/2022 at 7:05 PM, Philosoraptor said:

I hate hate HATE visual novels and point and click adventure games. Danganronpa, Phoenix Wright, 999, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island...no thanks. I've bought a bunch hoping to like them over the years and ended up selling them all. The only exception is The House in Fata Morgana, which might be in my top 25 games of all time.

Fata Morgana is pretty great but I like some of those other games too.

Any idea why it worked for you when those others didn't? I notice at least compared to the specific games mentioned, it pretty much cuts out the "gameplay" entirely.

1 minute ago, MagusSmurf said:

Fata Morgana is pretty great but I like some of those other games too.

Any idea why it worked for you when those others didn't? I notice at least compared to the specific games mentioned, it pretty much cuts out the "gameplay" entirely.

I think it comes down to a couple of factors:

• I have Aphantasia, which makes stories with a lot of visualization or stories that have lots of flowery, descriptive language less enjoyable for me. I also blame it for why I suck at geometry, spatial reasoning, and directions.
  • I write instruction manuals for a living; by the end of the day I'm usually done with heavy reading. Something has to be really, really enthralling to get me to want to read a bunch of text after work.
  • A lot of visual novels are either too violent for my taste or are dating simulators, which are fine, but I'm out of the dating pool and the tropes in dating simulators don't hold my attention like they would have 15 years ago.
  • I don't like solving the types of puzzles common to most visual novels/point and click adventure games. I don't enjoy sorting through walls of text for a solution, remembering who said what 10 hours of gameplay ago, solving mysteries, figuring out moon logic, or deducing what I need to do with some random object.

To those points, the stills and images in Fata Morgana were well placed and made situations that would have otherwise been difficult for me to visualize much easier. Its story and the language it uses were both enthralling and easy to follow. It was too violent for my taste, but I was hooked by the time the real violence happens; if the Bestia arc was the first chapter instead of the second, I would have quit and sold the game. Finally, like you mentioned, there is almost no gameplay aside from a few quick time events. 

That's not to say the games I mentioned not liking are bad. Far from it. My girlfriend is a big fan of most of the games I listed, and she plays them and other story-heavy games quite often. If anything, I'm envious of people that can and do like them because I want to like them too.