IGNORED

What was the last game you remember renting?

austin532

Wow, that's a tough question.  The last game I ever rented myself would've been an N64 game over twenty years ago, but God knows what it was.  I do know for sure that the last rental I ever played was a Wolfenstein game on the original XBox, because I distinctly remember how my super excited friend had rented this new-fangled Microsoft console and proceeded to invite everyone he knew over to his place to check it out.  But that, as well, would be over twenty years ago.  Damn...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

image.jpeg.0a6c88dcc221ae0d8bca2286ac21bb6d.jpeg

I still have a receipt from when I rented Sonic Heroes in 2004, but that wasn't the last game I rented.

The last game I rented was either James Bond 007 Nightfire, F-Zero GX, or Need for Speed: Most Wanted. That was in 2008; my local VHQ/Movie Gallery still had many of the GameCube's games for rent.

However, I still visited video stores until 2010 or so. My local VHQ/Movie Gallery had a sealed copy of Sonic Adventure DX for GameCube for $10 in April 2010. I bought it, and still have the receipt to prove it: 

image.jpeg.387a55543b191f465bf8ef798876e3ca.jpeg

They also had a sealed copy of Sonic Mega Collection for $20, which I also bought the following month in May. Here's the receipt:

image.jpeg.cc5a1dc18fd7a58c8cef462c3763f95f.jpeg

I knew that would be the last time I'd find them sealed at a local store, so I still have them (but I opened them because I sold my original copies a few years prior).

image.jpeg.27b91f82e796d7df9ae6cc2cb762b8fc.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

Probably Yoshi's Story? N64 is the last console I remember ever seeing game rentals being available for, and it made sense because it was the era where games still weren't that easily accessible, and generally very expensive to purchase. At that time, PS1 had already killed a part of the rental market with how widespread piracy was on that platform.

3 hours ago, austin532 said:

With rental stores disappearing everyday

Are they? Didn't they all disappear literally 20 years ago? 😅

32 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Are they? Didn't they all disappear literally 20 years ago?

Haha glad I’m not the only one that thought that comment was weird. Maybe the US took way longer to phase out rental stores. 

My last rental was also a N64 game but I don’t remember what game. I don’t recall seeing PS2 and GC for rental, or if they were there was barely anything there.

NBA 2K11 is the last game I believe I rented from Video Headquarters in Keene NH, so I would be 2010. The Blockbuster had closed the Summer before that. I didn't have enough cash to buy it at launch like I normally did so I rented it for the weekend before getting it. Was totally worth it as the game blew away every NBA game before it. Maybe still hasn't quite been topped in ways.

Edited by trj22487

11 hours ago, Sumez said:

Are they? Didn't they all disappear literally 20 years ago? 😅

We had Family Video stores here in Indiana up until I think just a couple years ago. Also Redbox machines are all over the place (in the US, at least), and have video games to rent.

Definitely something on the PS1 or Dreamcast, although I'm not sure of the exact game. Top contenders are probably Resident Evil - Code: Veronica, Nightmare Creatures, and Power Stone. Around this time I stopped playing videogames almost completely and what I did play, I purchased.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Grand Theft Auto V for PS3 when it first came out, so like 2013.  Didn't realize that game is that old til I looked now lol.  Drove to a Red Box at a grocery store like 6 miles from my town as it was the only one that had it.  Before that it was probably 2002/3 at Blockbuster for some PS2 game.

L.A. Noire for the Xbox 360. Those bastards tried to charge me 3 rental fees since the game had three discs. I explained to them that if I rent the first disc, the other two are useless to any potential renters so they’re not missing out by letting me take home all three. No dice. I played through the first disc but didn’t rent the other two from them.

To help jog peoples memory,

NES US launch in 1985
Genesis US launch in late 1989
Sonic 1 Genesis - June 1991 (US)
SNES US launch in late 1991

Street Fighter 2 - June 1992
Super Mariokart - September 1992

Sonic 2 - November 1992

Super Mario Allstars - July 1993
Mortal Kombat - September 1993
Disneys Aladdin (Genesis) - November 1993

NBA Jam - March 1994
Mortal Kombat 2 (Genesis) - September 1994
Donkey Kong Country - November 1994

Sega Saturn US launch in May 1995
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island -August 1995
Killer Instinct -August 1995

Mortal Kombat 3 - October 1995 Genesis starts to wind down 
Donkey Kong Country 2 - November 1995
Virtua Fighter 2 - December 1995
PS1 US launch in late 1995

Blockbuster peaked in the mid ‘90s.
Megaman X3 - January 1996
Super Mario RPG - March 1996
SNES starts to wind down

Madden NFL 97 (Saturn) - August 1996
Crash Bandicoot - September 1996
Tomb Raider - October 1996

N64 US launch in late 1996

Final Fantasy 7 - September 1997 (US)
Gran Turismo - September 1997

Mariokart 64 - February 1997
Goldeneye 007 - August 1997

Netflix was founded as a DVD by mail rental company in 1997.
Resident Evil 2 - January 1998
Tekken 3 - March 1998
Metal Gear - September 1998

Zelda 64 - November 1998

Super Smash Bros - January 1999
Final Fantasy 8 - February 1999
Tony Hawk Pro Skater - August 1999
Dreamcast US launch in late 1999
Gran Turismo 2 - December 1999

Pokemon Stadium - February 2000
PS1 winding down in mid-2000
PS2 US launch in October 2000

Gamecube US launch in November 2001
XBox US launch in November 2001

By mid 2000’s Blockbuster was in crisis mode, Netflix has 3 million customers by now.

By 2010 Blockbuster was delisted from NY stock exchange, meaning it was essentially liquidating all stores.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fox said:

Have this checked out from GameFly atm

8918D0E3-E91B-42D0-9A6F-BFE1D3F9CFD3.png

This seems like the perfect type of game to rent rather than buy.

16 hours ago, Strange said:

L.A. Noire for the Xbox 360. Those bastards tried to charge me 3 rental fees since the game had three discs. I explained to them that if I rent the first disc, the other two are useless to any potential renters so they’re not missing out by letting me take home all three. No dice. I played through the first disc but didn’t rent the other two from them.

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a rental store do. Wow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, phart010 said:

By mid 2000’s Blockbuster was in crisis mode, Netflix has 3 million customers by now.

By 2010 Blockbuster was delisted from NY stock exchange, meaning it was essentially liquidating all stores.

Nail in the coffin I think was Netflix coming to 360 on October 18, 2010, and later the wii and every other device you can imagine.  That's when I stopped going to video stores on the reg.  Then March 27, 2011, 3ds came out and seeing that Gamefly was having 3ds games, I did a trial and been with them ever since.

Between November 6, 2013, and January 12, 2014, all 300 remaining corporate-owned Blockbuster stores in the U.S. were closed and the DVD-by-mail program was shut down.

Hollywood vid, which was my local go to store had closed a year or two before that. So the last time I was in a was in a Blockbuster must have been around 2013/14  for the store closing sale.  I picked up a Wii U game (so they at least made it all the way into the Wii U era) and a copy of Manborg.  The store closing deals were not as good as I had hoped.

Hastings lasted till late 2016, but they were too far away for me to rent from.

Kind of crazy to think some people haven't rented a game since the N64.  Y'all just went out and blindly bought every game you wanted to try in the last 20+ years?

@DoctorEncore
That's what I was thinking.  It's pretty much an interactive horror movie, plan to co op it with my cousin over a couple of nights.  Should be a blast, but is pretty much the perfect one and done kind of experience. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fox said:

Kind of crazy to think some people haven't rented a game since the N64.  Y'all just went out and blindly bought every game you wanted to try in the last 20+ years?

@DoctorEncore

Yeah that sounds about right. The last game I remember having rented was conkers bad for day on N64. I feel like after that we stopped renting games.

It’s kind of strange when you think about it. Maybe we stopped renting games because by that time you could watch game reviews on YouTube

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, fox said:

I'm not sure where I'd go to rent a game in the first place?
Plenty of other ways to see if a game is something for you, though. Demos, reviews, word of mouth, video footage, playing other people's copies, and so on. Hell, the library actually has a surprisingly huge collection of modern console games you can just borrow, too. But if not having played a game yourself before buying it is "buying blindly" though, then yeah a wast majority of my collection was bought blindly. 😄 

In fact, back when renting was still a thing, I'm pretty sure that kept me from buying a lot of the games I liked, because now I'd already played them.

• Like 1

Thats a tough one . Would say gun nac from my local rental store which has left me w fond memory playing w friend(s) .

As for ps1 , my friend and i rented the first grand thieft auto . We were like stuck on that game like for days playing it . . . 

With blockbuster , i just rented film(s) as they usually had a larger selection of rental(s) than the local shops . . . Dunno know at why i did nt go for the games maybe more than half of the good game(s) were out