IGNORED

Would you have like Mario more if he looked Cool? Cute?

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

Mario's design is iconic nowadays, so you may not have considered how you'd feel if he looked different...

If Mario's design had originally been a "cool" character like Sonic, do you think you would've liked him more?
What about if he were "cute" like Kirby? Would the games have been even more appealing than they are already?
Or is he perfect the way he is?

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.7e65997afdb53f4ee6a274c28e265c3f.jpeg

image.jpeg.b41085ba5833cf3cd8dc60c84d678891.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Small Mario has always been cute. 🙂

I think I like Mario the way he is. If he was a more standard anime person like the Ape Escape kids, I don't think he'd be interesting. I think what makes Mario such a fun hero is that he's such an unlikely hero.

He's short, he's tubby, he's a plumber, he wears the total opposite of a heroic outfit, and for most of his games he can't even hurt Bowser directly, having to deal with him in indirect methods.

It's his unlikely hero status that makes Mario so charming, and if he were "cool" I think that would ruin him.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Strange said:

I feel like Nintendo’s “modern” takes on the characters in the Mario universe (NSMB onward) are so soulless compared to the SNES/N64 days. But maybe I’m just old.

Mario 64's voice clips are God's gift to all mankind to enjoy. Mario never sounded funnier than in Mario 64.

Not sure I'd care for more cute, he's got this nice middle ground.  I always thought Sonic kind of game off an an arrogant turd back in the 90s, a mix of how the US division marketed him and his impatient foot tapping glare if he didn't get moving in game.  I would have liked Mario less if they got into some contest over who could be the most manufactured cool.

Lynda's argument works for me too, would have gone there had she not said that.

• Agree 1

I came to say Captain Lou is 5000x better than Charles Martinet, so I woild tend away from cute. 

18 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Not gonna lie, I'm feeling cool Mario. Give him his own Ratchet and Clank style game.

Before they developed the original concept, one of the earliest ideas for SMB was that Mario would have a gun. 

19 hours ago, DarkTone said:

I heard Mario is more recognised than mickey mouse. I dont know about that. 

They haven't been doing very much with Mickey lately. Compared to how many Mario games. Taking the younger generations into account among the whole population, I can believe this. 

• Agree 1

There are a lot of different interpretations of Mario, and some of the grittier ones are pretty cringe-worthy, but overall I'd go for that sort of concept more than a Chibi / Funko or anime style. These ↓ are directions I would rather see than ✌️wahoo castrati Mario. I don't want bodybuilder Mario, but I appreciate the attitude in the art from the Donkey Kong arcade machine and SMB1 manual more than the cutesy direction Nintendo has been giving us far too long. With Mario put in dozens of directions and genres you'd think they could do something just a little darker like that. 

My dream SMB game is 2D and looking like the illustrations from the SMB3 manual brought to animation. Cuphead and Alien Hominid show that could be done. Put his voice in a deeper register and make him just a little bit tough, that'd be bangin'. 

5F453A2E-8705-411A-9D39-86E25E72495C.jpeg

8D1257F0-E20E-4AE2-8FB0-440DC7BB7905.jpeg

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

I really like that cool Mario design, but I definitely like Mario the way he is. I personally wouldn't have him any other way. The Cool Mario design would be pretty neat to see in some sort of spin-off though. Maybe in an alternate timeline that could've been a Mario Jr. in the same vein as Donkey Kong Jr. and he'd have his own line of spin-offs, haha.

Graphics Team · Posted
On 6/26/2022 at 11:49 AM, Lynda Monica said:

Small Mario has always been cute. 🙂

I think I like Mario the way he is. If he was a more standard anime person like the Ape Escape kids, I don't think he'd be interesting. I think what makes Mario such a fun hero is that he's such an unlikely hero.

He's short, he's tubby, he's a plumber, he wears the total opposite of a heroic outfit, and for most of his games he can't even hurt Bowser directly, having to deal with him in indirect methods.

It's his unlikely hero status that makes Mario so charming, and if he were "cool" I think that would ruin him.

That's spot-on @Lynda Monica. I could never quite grasp what gives regular ol' Mario his charm, but the "unlikely hero" idea makes so much sense.

-CasualCart

• Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted
12 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

@CasualCart I'm getting some mild Tetsuya Nomura, and Ken Sugimori vibes and a lot of Butch Hartman from "Cool Mario"

I like it 🙂

Well I grew up collecting Pokemon cards and watching "The Fairly Oddparents", so those two definitely make sense haha.

-CasualCart

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I think we need a Tezuka style Mario, that would be perfect. 😉

I'd love to see a Mario drawn by Tezuka for sure.

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.294d568d2b9daa7a512fc41a1b756598.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 4

27 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Well I grew up collecting Pokemon cards and watching "The Fairly Oddparents", so those two definitely make sense haha.

-CasualCart

I'd love to see a Mario drawn by Tezuka for sure.

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.294d568d2b9daa7a512fc41a1b756598.jpeg

Awesome! It’s funny how now that you’ve got a “explicit” art style in one, that the elements from the other fall off.

C…can you attempt Yoshitaka Amano?

• Like 1
  • Love 1