IGNORED

Would you have like Mario more if he looked Cool? Cute?

T-Pac

9 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Well - I definitely wouldn't say it's an accurate simulation of Amano, but I think this still turned out pretty cool.

-CasualCart

image.thumb.jpeg.2418662f489ba7feda8fdbee849443b3.jpeg

You need to auction this because I’ve never, ever been so tempted to try and “back door” something…

• Haha 2

Graphics Team · Posted

You guys give me too much credit haha - a big part of my job is to copy art-styles, so I've had lots of practice.

@RH - Unfortunately that Mario drawing was all done in Photoshop. There's no physical artwork...

@Lynda Monica I don't do many commissions, but I'm always open to it if someone reaches-out.

@Link I'm certainly no Bill Watterson, but I appreciate the high praise haha. 

@Gloves you get back here right now, mister. We'll surely perish without you...

-CasualCart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Casual, so humble and fantastic 🙂 We love ya!

Also, shhh, Gloves leaving is my opportunity to take over all MUAHAHAHA!

I'm pretty sure @CasualCart and I were separated at birth in a Danny Devito / Arnold Schwarzenegger Twins style scenario...

He got all the modesty, honesty, and kindness, I got all the artistic talent! 😏 😜

Edited by OptOut
  • Haha 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

You guys give me too much credit haha - a big part of my job is to copy art-styles, so I've had lots of practice.

Staaaahp! That doesn't negate your skill one single bit, and practice is itself praiseworthy - you have a lot of experience and have put in a lot of work. You're great!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/30/2022 at 11:19 AM, CasualCart said:

Well - I definitely wouldn't say it's an accurate simulation of Amano, but I think this still turned out pretty cool.

-CasualCart

image.thumb.jpeg.2418662f489ba7feda8fdbee849443b3.jpeg

OK, first off WOW!

The over the top flourishes are key for a good Amano and you went for it! The Hammers, the yoshi egg halo, the mushroom on the hat!? and yoshi's even wearing two belts on his tail!!!!! OH GOD!

On 6/30/2022 at 1:00 PM, Gloves said:

Aight peace out. It was nice while it lasted.

Yeah, you can shut it down. We basically finished VGS with this post.

GG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seriously, @CasualCart, you could go viral if you made a series called “What if Square Enix artists worked for Nintendo” and posted to a Medium blog (or where ever) an essay and your art, and made companion videos on YouTube and TikTok (yes, gross but it would get traction) talking about these artists work, their styles and your recreations in their likeness.

Think about it—you could take maybe SE’s top 5 iconic artists from the past 40 years, make 2-3 images for each artist, and make pictures for all the major franchises and some lesser ones that people still love.  Mario characters are a given, but there’s also Metroid, Punch-Out, Animal Crossing, Black Box titles, Xenoblade Chronicles, oh and of course! Legend of Zelda!!!

I know you’re a pretty humble guy but seriously, people like myself and others really, really love this type of artistry and imagination and you do it very well.  I appreciate your humility but I think you could be setting on a gold mine, and after watching your videos on your channel, you have a personality too that’s fun and enjoyable, and that helps with making videos!

I’m certainly not telling you what to do, but I am saying I would love to see this (and would probably buy a few prints if you made them!) I think something like this could get a LOT of positive attention.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Graphics Team · Posted
5 hours ago, RH said:

Seriously, @CasualCart, you could go viral if you made a series called “What if Square Enix artists worked for Nintendo” and posted to a Medium blog (or where ever) an essay and your art, and made companion videos on YouTube and TikTok (yes, gross but it would get traction) talking about these artists work, their styles and your recreations in their likeness.

Think about it—you could take maybe SE’s top 5 iconic artists from the past 40 years, make 2-3 images for each artist, and make pictures for all the major franchises and some lesser ones that people still love.  Mario characters are a given, but there’s also Metroid, Punch-Out, Animal Crossing, Black Box titles, Xenoblade Chronicles, oh and of course! Legend of Zelda!!!

I know you’re a pretty humble guy but seriously, people like myself and others really, really love this type of artistry and imagination and you do it very well.  I appreciate your humility but I think you could be setting on a gold mine, and after watching your videos on your channel, you have a personality too that’s fun and enjoyable, and that helps with making videos!

I’m certainly not telling you what to do, but I am saying I would love to see this (and would probably buy a few prints if you made them!) I think something like this could get a LOT of positive attention.

Not a bad idea. I have plans for some kind of YouTube series in the future, but it would be based on my own gaming/artistic interests instead of trying to pander to fans of a specific company or franchise. It's fun to entertain that stuff on occasion with the VGS regulars here, but I'm not too keen to expand on it.

(Also - all that "content-creator" stuff seems soul-sucking if you're just trying to appease some fanbase all the time haha.)

I appreciate the input, though - I'm gonna make a mental note on how I could maybe apply your ideas to the project I ultimately want to pursue.

-CasualCart

• Like 3

Events Helper · Posted
6 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Not a bad idea. I have plans for some kind of YouTube series in the future, but it would be based on my own gaming/artistic interests instead of trying to pander to fans of a specific company or franchise. It's fun to entertain that stuff on occasion with the VGS regulars here, but I'm not too keen to expand on it.

(Also - all that "content-creator" stuff seems soul-sucking if you're just trying to appease some fanbase all the time haha.)

I appreciate the input, though - I'm gonna make a mental note on how I could maybe apply your ideas to the project I ultimately want to pursue.

-CasualCart

just one video a week would probably make you go viral 😆 🤣.   you haven't as of yet because we haven't pushed for it and you haven't agreed 😉

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

also...

I'm sure you noticed, it's a three parter and each piece has a different anime series grabbed for it.  #3 has a psychotic luigi which wario battles and it's in the style of One Piece and JoJo with stands pop up too.

According to this Iwata asks, Mario is pretty cool. I have to agree. When I play a modern Mario game, it feels great to move around and do all the fun little ways to move they added. Wall jumping, triple jumping, spin jumping all make you feel cool when you pull them off and use them right. I think that is very in the spirit of Mario, a series that historically has had great controls. The games are not super difficult, but when you play well it feels great. I don't think the design does not affect that that much, but the fact that Mario's design does not lean hard in any specific way is a good thing. It does not give the player any specific way to view him so he just is what they make him out to be. Sonic was stylized to be super cool and super fast, like the developers were telling the player to play that way. With Mario it feels like you discovered how to play cool on your own, not because you were told to be cool. So yeah, I think Mario neutral design is a good thing, and don't think that giving him a personality that would pressure me to play in any specific way would make me like him more

• Like 2