IGNORED

Titles that 8bit did it better?

Nintegageo

I assume you generally mean something like NES vs. arcade?  Or those few games that had an 8bit vs 16bit release?  That's a tough one, but I personally like Bump n' Jump on the NES better than the arcade.  I did grow up with the NES version before trying the arcade one but I still prefer it, but the differences are more than just graphical.  They changed a bit of the gaming mechanic too.

NES Monoply had neater "little touches"/animations and much more user friendly menus than the SNES version.  In fact I remember seeing SNES Monopoly for the first time and wondered why the graphics seemed to be  LESS than the NES version.  So much for "SUPER" Power... 😞

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy seems to be the most obvious answer 🙂

Only if you're talking about the famicom versions, then definitely.  The NES versions with the rigged extra difficulty, more damage per hit, cheapo changed restart points on death near/the end of the game to middle finger renters was just evil.  The SNES game may not have been as colorful and audio lovely as other stuff, but at least it was honest to the original source titles.

As to other stuff I'd throw another vote for TMNT2, great arcade game, better NES game in ways with the added stages and stuff.  I also thought the old NES Kung Fu port was more fun than the arcade as I had access to both for a little time.

(Mike Tysons) Punchout NES vs the arcade games I found far better, sure they weren't as large, but there were far more fighters, better combat, more things just to do.

Having played all three console releases of Uncharted Waters, I can honestly say that the NES version is the best.  Sure, there's aspects of each that are better than the others - the Genesis version's sailing speed is far better, and the SNES audio does it's magic, but the gameplay feels best on the NES.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Only if you're talking about the famicom versions, then definitely.  The NES versions with the rigged extra difficulty, more damage per hit, cheapo changed restart points on death near/the end of the game to middle finger renters was just evil.  The SNES game may not have been as colorful and audio lovely as other stuff, but at least it was honest to the original source titles.

I don't know what SNES version you've played, but that's not true at all. It's basically a molestation of the original games. 🙂

Also, Ninja Gaiden 3 was the only one that was changed for the US version, and that one was absolutely to the better. Not that it matters anyway, because both versions exist on the same platform in the context of this thread.

2 hours ago, Californication said:

Smash TV

Dr. Mario

Darkwing Duck

Double Dragon lll

Dragon Spirit

Bubble Bobble

Kirby - expect people to disagree. I only enjoy playing the nes version.

Lifeforce - music, hidden stuff, small hit box

Rastan- word of mouth

I'm confused. What are the "non 8 bit versions" of all of these games?

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

I think he's trying to say NES version vs any other. I dunno where Double Dragon III came from. I thought that game was NES exclusive.

Smash TV was arcade originally, and had NES and SNES ports (among many others.) I personally find the NES one a little awkward with the two controllers (vs using the buttons on the SNES as a second D-pad), but maybe some folks prefer that.

Dr Mario had NES and SNES versions. I'm a fan of 8 bit graphics and prefer it.

Darkwing Duck, maybe he means NES vs GB? TG-16 was a totally different game (and terrible.)

Dragon Spirit NES is actually a sequel to the arcade. It's even subtitled "The New Legend" and the cut scenes indicate it's supposed to be a sequel. The original did have a TG-16 port, so maybe it's TG-16 vs arcade?

To me, Life Force vs Salamander arcade have so many differences they might as well be separate games.

• Like 1

Guerrilla War is better on NES than arcade. Faster gameplay, longer game, and added co-op. I've never walked into an arcade and thought "Oh damn Guerrilla War!" but I think of it in the upper tiers of NES games. It shouldn't have had infinite continues though. Not that people dislike GW, but I wonder if it would be better remembered if you couldn't just press the start button to blow through the entire game.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

Smash TV Nes - Super Smash TV

Dr. Mario Nes- Super Dr. Mario

Darkwing Duck Nes - Darkwing Duck Genesis

Double Dragon lll > any 16 bit Double Dragon iteration

Dragon Spirit Nes - Dragon Spirit PCE

Bubble Bobble Nes - Bubble Symphony

Lifeforce Nes - Salamander PCE/Saturn

Kirby Nes - Any other iteration

Rastan SMS - Rastan Genesis

(Agree with Contra and Mike Tyson, and similar to those suggestion some of my 8 and >=16 bit suggestions are completely different, so really it's sometimes a suggestion based on the franchise, not the exact game being remade.)

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sumez said:

I don't know what SNES version you've played, but that's not true at all. It's basically a molestation of the original games. 🙂

Also, Ninja Gaiden 3 was the only one that was changed for the US version, and that one was absolutely to the better. Not that it matters anyway, because both versions exist on the same platform in the context of this thread.

Maybe they didn't do it in your country but they did it here and it's well documented, so maybe you need to question what Nintendo you were using because the NES games were rigged for difficulty to pushing renters.  The SNES one does have the difficulty levels of the FC releases.

18 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Maybe they didn't do it in your country but they did it here and it's well documented

I'm sorry I don't know how to say this in a diplomatic way - No, it's not well documented because it isn't a thing that happened. This only happened to Ninja Gaiden 3, and most fans of that game will tell you the US version is better (except from the limited continues)

If you think it's well documented, please find me one single source documenting it. 🙂 

T2YYOrc.png

*shakes fist* "The bastards!"