Squaresoft SNES or PS1?

Nintegageo

SNES or PS1?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. SNES or PS1?

• SNES
    • PS1

12 hours ago, RH said:

Grandia's not Squaresoft, which is what this discussion is about.  If we extended to which machine is the best RPG machine, well, we'd have similar discussions but that would be a bit too broad.

Oh sorry, my bad...Tales series is Namco so I suppose that's out too...

Square started to bloat and go off the rails that far back, they were just a little more hit and miss, maybe caught up a bit too much in creating in game drama (and their real life drama leading to the merger) with CGI, multi-cd sound tracks, weird sequences and stuff and going too far with being creative with franchises.

SNES/SFC had the better run up of titles domestic and foreign, they may not be CDs, they may not be 3D, but design wise they had limits far smaller than the PS generation after and learned to respect them far better and go hard and do more with less.  They did so with such capability the games still stand up to the test of time today and are more memorable on the Nintendo stuff too.  I'm not saying it's a knockout or wide margin, but there was a bit of a slide, a bit of trying to show off or working with new limitations, whatever the case was.

On 4/20/2022 at 3:21 PM, docile tapeworm said:

Einhander sucks and is overrated. That game sucks brah.

It's not garbage, but it is overrated as a shooter quite a lot.  You can do far better, but because it's Square, it gets kind of a pass I think which is a shame.  I've owned it a couple times over the years, and each time I had to let the playstation go, it wasn't one I clung onto until the end, and the last time I've owned or will own a PS1 I didn't bother at all as that price given what is there is utterly unjustified.

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I'm curious who has completed the most games for the two systems.  Just out of curiosity.  Not that you need to complete a game to have an opinion about it (I didn't complete Chrono Cross but I certainly have thoughts about it), but I would be curious to see where some people stand.

For myself, I'm counting:

9 SNES
10 PS1 (and 3 SNES ports)

• Like 1

If the re releases of the FF games on the PS1 don’t count then the SNES is an easy choice for me.

My favourite FF is on it (6) plus you have Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG which are two amazing games.

Then if you’re still looking for more you have the rest of the FF games, Bahamut Lagoon, Front Mission, Breath of Fire, Secret of Evermore and I’ve heard Treasure of the Rudras is good. I’m not a fan of Secret of Mana but others are.

PS1 has some solid stuff, FF9 is the gem on that system along with tactics. And even though it is now pretty overrated, FF7 is a solid game. I didn’t like 8 and Parasite Eve I found to be so so.

Haven’t played anything else from the square era on the ps1 so it could be amazing and I just don’t know it yet but it would have to be like the Sistine chapel good to take down Chrono Trigger, FF6 and Super Mario RPG imo.

8 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm curious who has completed the most games for the two systems. 

Interesting question but for me it's bad.

SNES: 1 (Final Fantasy V)

PS1: 3 (Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy Tactics, Parasite Eve)

I am absolutely the worst at finishing games.  If I have to stop gaming for a while, it's tough for me to some times get back into RPGs.  It's not that I don't like them, it's just when you have a full open world and something needs to be done, I can't always recall where to go next.  I probably would have finished Xenogears but I was playing that one my senior year of High School.  I had a lot of AP work at the end of the year and I basically stopped gaming, except for stuff you could pick up and put down quickly.  That was NOT Xenogears, so I never got around to finishing it.

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
38 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

@Reed Rothchild interesting. So I only count the North American titles and the original console they were designed.

SNES 8

PS1 15

I chose SNES though were FF VI not #1 game then not sure it would win.

Wow!  What are the 15 PS1 games?  That's impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

I chose PS1 for the sheer volume as well as the nice variety. Obviously, the Super NES has some truly epic titles, but the PS1 definitely has its share as well, so it's not really quality vs quantity... more like a ton of quality vs a mega-ton of quality.

FF7, FF Tactics, and Front Mission 3 are some of my favorite games of all time. The Parasite Eve games may not be 10 outta 10's, but I really loved the style of those and always wished we got more RPGs like those. Even the list of games I haven't played yet has a lot for me to look forward to (Xenogears, FF9, Vagrant Story, etc.)

But, then again, SNES has Mystic Quest so... 🤔