Squaresoft SNES or PS1?

Nintegageo

SNES or PS1?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. SNES or PS1?

• SNES
    • PS1

PS1, hands down.

You got all of those SNES games plus FF V in anthologies/chronicles but then there was FF VII, FF IX, FFT, Xenogears, Brave Fencer Musashiden, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Bushido Blade, Chocobo Dungeon and I’ll even through SaGa Frontier to that pile.  Though I’m not much of a SaGa fan, that that one was aight.

Yes, Final Fantasy IV-VI are great and there’s Chrono, but Square really, REALLY hit their stride in the PS1 era.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Someone remind me again what are the snes square games that were so great besides the obvious 2?  

To me at least, that's FF4, FF5, Romancing SaGa 2 and 3, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, and Front Mission Gunhazard. They got a few other notable ones, but those are the ones that tip the scale for me. 

Ah, jeez, I love Einhander and I completely forgot to mention it.  There's also Front Mission 3, which I've not played yetbut it is a Front Mission game, so they at least covered that base.  And of course there are other "better than ok" titles too like Bushido Blade 2, Parasite Eve 2, might as well as FF VIII because some people love it, and Chocobo Racing is loved by some.

Even Tobal #1 was alright for the time, just nothing special compared to the Tekken series.  

16 minutes ago, Sumez said:

To me at least, that's FF4, FF5, Romancing SaGa 2 and 3, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, and Front Mission Gunhazard. They got a few other notable ones, but those are the ones that tip the scale for me. 

So secret of mana.  Ok.  That one was good but ain’t nobody played no Japanese rpgs.  Sounds like PSX wins over the chronically overrated SNES yet again.

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

So secret of mana.  Ok.  That one was good but ain’t nobody played no Japanese rpgs.  Sounds like PSX wins over the chronically overrated SNES yet again.

To semi-add to your point, FF 5 is my favorite 2D Final Fantasy game.  In the US (and I assume the rest of NA), my introduction to FF 5 was on the PS1.  So, I get that it's a SFC game but in regard to us US players, we didn't get a chance to play it until the PS1, so it straddles the line.

So yeah, I'm adding FF V to the list of reasons why the PS1 is preferable in general.

1 hour ago, RH said:

PS1, hands down.

You got all of those SNES games plus FF V in anthologies/chronicles but then there was FF VII, FF IX, FFT, Xenogears, Brave Fencer Musashiden, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Bushido Blade, Chocobo Dungeon and I’ll even through SaGa Frontier to that pile.  Though I’m not much of a SaGa fan, that that one was aight.

Yes, Final Fantasy IV-VI are great and there’s Chrono, but Square really, REALLY hit their stride in the PS1 era.

I stand corrected. Those were indeed some bangers or at minimum solid titles, though many I just never got around to playing and thus forgot existed.

Just now, Sumez said:

You are adding a SNES game to the list of reasons why their PS1 output is better? 

Logic and reason is really all out the window in this thread 🥴

No, it's not. Sure it was made for the SFC (which is the SNES in the US) but since you didn't have a legal/relatively easy way to play it at all until the PS1, it's a soft-PS1 title for the US market.

To put the question differently, the way I interpret it, "if you were trapped on an island with only a SNES and Squaresoft games, or a PS1 and Squaresoft games, which would you pick?"  Uh, the PS1, even if you "throw out" all the games you could play on the SNES.  That would still leave FF V (though we will assume the FF VI disc is "scratched", and Chronicles is not an option to keep it fair) because FF V was first released in the US as a FF V game.

Regardless, if you consider that "cheating", then throw it out.  It's still a better line up and diverse set of titles. 

4 hours ago, RH said:

PS1, hands down.

You forgot Grandia.  I just love how kawaii Sue is when she does her cheerleading to heal everyone and when she says after battle "Pretty easy, right Puffy?  Mmmm hmmm!!"🥰

So is the original Fire Emblem "really" a Switch game?

Me, I haven’t delved far enough into either to think I have a sufficiently informed opinion overall. Ones I've beaten ranked:

SNES:

• Chrono Trigger
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Final Fantasy IV
  • Final Fantasy V
  • Live-A-Live
  • Front Mission
  • Breath of Fire
  • Secret of Mana
  • Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

PS1:

• Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Xenogears
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Parasite Eve
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Threads of Fate
  • Chrono Cross

I'd take SNES out of that overall but that's where my childhood/teen nostalgia is, so I would, wouldn't I?

Edited by MagusSmurf
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I've played through the majority of the titles for both systems, and can say I have a more personal attachment to the SNES library (*gasp*), which makes me want to pick that.

But I never finished Xenogears, or Chrono Cross, or Final Fantasy V.  And I didn't get far in Bahamut Lagoon.  Never played Musashi.  Don't even know about PS1 imports aside from the Front Missions and Tobal 2.

So the answer is I don't know.

1 hour ago, Estil said:

You forgot Grandia.  I just love how kawaii Sue is when she does her cheerleading to heal everyone and when she says after battle "Pretty easy, right Puffy?  Mmmm hmmm!!"🥰

Grandia's not Squaresoft, which is what this discussion is about.  If we extended to which machine is the best RPG machine, well, we'd have similar discussions but that would be a bit too broad.