IGNORED

Collection Tracker App or Website

I'm using www.vgcollect.com

- I like the interface

- I can add titles not already there

- I can edit existing entries with more accurate information

- Once I create a list on there, I can export it

- There's different types of lists like collection list, wish list, sell list, now playing list

- It's mobile friendly.

There's a lot to like about it. It's the best video game collection app I've seen. 

Here's an example of someone's collection list: www.vgcollect.com/masamune

Edited by Trifecta

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I made my own: https://glovesoff.games

The ultimate control.

Can we get some colors in the next sprint?

My own excel sheet hosted on OneDrive. I’m not crazy about keeping track of exactly what inserts I have and sometimes mark if I have stuff CIB. So much easier being a loose collector and on newer gen games I just assume it’s CIB. I use GVN collection tracker for approximate value for fun. They don’t have everything though so the Excel sheet is the only true source. Since all my stuff is away in storage until we move I’m thinking of overhauling the sheet for some things that I have seen on others collection sheets and maybe migrating to Google sheets but that is unlikely. 

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Can we get some colors in the next sprint?

My own excel sheet hosted on OneDrive. I’m not crazy about keeping track of exactly what inserts I have and sometimes mark if I have stuff CIB. So much easier being a loose collector and on newer gen games I just assume it’s CIB. I use GVN collection tracker for approximate value for fun. They don’t have everything though so the Excel sheet is the only true source. Since all my stuff is away in storage until we move I’m thinking of overhauling the sheet for some things that I have seen on others collection sheets and maybe migrating to Google sheets but that is unlikely. 

There's a really stark "red" when you hover links! 😄

I've considered doing themes actually, just for fun - a whole color set based on different consoles' branding (e.g. set the site to look XBox themed - black and green). Right now it's kinda-sorta based on PS1 (the console itself) but I'll grant you that it's a pretty grey theme hah.

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I got fed up with gameeye as it seemed to lack some specifics, went right back to using my HTML on a free subdomain instead.

What was the biggest reason you quit using it?

I Have been using it for about a year. Mainly just to keep track of what I have so I dont buy dupes. My collection is much smaller than most on here though so I dont have an insane amount to keep track of, at roughly 300 games. I definitely dont trust the prices as they seem to be all over the place.

5 hours ago, Matchbook said:

What was the biggest reason you quit using it?

I Have been using it for about a year. Mainly just to keep track of what I have so I dont buy dupes. My collection is much smaller than most on here though so I dont have an insane amount to keep track of, at roughly 300 games. I definitely dont trust the prices as they seem to be all over the place.

Well I don't have a straight list of things that I can track that they've bothered to add.  I believe when I used it, there was a manual entry setup but it was clunky to say the least, made worse by their app fetching data from the net making it a hot mess.

I have quite a few import games they lack, then you get into also famiclones, multicarts, merchandising piece (my SMW SNES hanger from 1991), when I had it the pinball machine(s), and arcade(s) too.  I also track my gaming guides, nintendo powers (and fun club), mini consoles, mini arcades(NG, Astro City), off beat handhelds (tiger one offs, tiger r-zone, other handhelds like a sms+gg combo, my fc mobile 88 for famicom carts...)  you get the idea.  After wasting hours adding one by one my individual normal items, it got strange, made me wish I had started with the weird before the normal I would have erased it fast.

Since the mid 90s I got into 2nd hand collecting on top of the new stuff as it arrived so I kept an old MS DOS text file as an inventory, eventually went to notepad, then using old netscape navigators HTML maker which when they died went mozilla, which then got folded and someone took the source and made Kompozer which I still use now.  A nice basic site with an easy on the eyes soft background and basic frame system and table layout.  It's very easy to update, add/remove pages, etc.  It's pretty friendly to my phone as well.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
Social Team · Posted

Seriously, no one used PriceCharting? My Collection, I love how I can include some standard information (CIB, Item only, manual only, manual and box only).  Also I get some fields I can fill in like price I paid and my own personal notes.  They do a decent job of tracking variants but if you have one that isn't listed you can pretty easily make one.  And I've e-mail the "staff" on some things and they are actually responsive.  Don't like that they don't have photos on a cart....nothing stopping you form upload that shit yourself.  Also I do like how I see recently sold items from ebay.  Of course you need to manual confirm shit is as listed in the selling.  But overall pretty freaking awesome.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Seriously, no one used PriceCharting? My Collection, I love how I can include some standard information (CIB, Item only, manual only, manual and box only).  Also I get some fields I can fill in like price I paid and my own personal notes.  They do a decent job of tracking variants but if you have one that isn't listed you can pretty easily make one.  And I've e-mail the "staff" on some things and they are actually responsive.  Don't like that they don't have photos on a cart....nothing stopping you form upload that shit yourself.  Also I do like how I see recently sold items from ebay.  Of course you need to manual confirm shit is as listed in the selling.  But overall pretty freaking awesome.

Yeah, I've always just tracked everything myself on my pc, but for the first time ever I decided to try out an online tracker recently and I wanted to go with something I felt would be around longterm.  Pricecharting may not be perfect, but JJ seems to be continually adding more features each week, and (if he doesn't sell the site) I believe the site will be relevant for years to come.

I've actually got a local friend (who's also a member here) who has been putting up his collection on umpteen thousand sites and apps for at least ten years, and he's never gotten anywhere near logging his full collection before something invariably goes wrong or he finds something "newer and better" - he's literally always in a state of adding his collection somewhere online - and that is what I'm going to be damn sure to avoid.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I've actually got a local friend (who's also a member here) who has been putting up his collection on umpteen thousand sites and apps for at least ten years, and he's never gotten anywhere near logging his full collection before something invariably goes wrong or he finds something "newer and better" - he's literally always in a state of adding his collection somewhere online - and that is what I'm going to be damn sure to avoid.

You know you can always just mention me by name.  I'm pretty sure everyone already knows about my attention span, procrastination, etc 😛

• Haha 3

I actually just went through and added my whole collection to price charting and it was super easy. I just used the defaults to set everything to CIB which the majority of my collection is. When I got to things like Atari and Gameboy, I just swapped the default to cart only and added away. I did it all on my phones web browser.

I haven't really checked the price charting aspect that much. I figured the prices need to be taken with a grain of salt but it's nice to get a ball park figure on things. I'm pleased and it was easy enough for me to recommend it. I also prefer to use a website over an app, even on my phone so that might be some bias from me as I'm just not an app guy in general. 

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
22 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, I've always just tracked everything myself on my pc, but for the first time ever I decided to try out an online tracker recently and I wanted to go with something I felt would be around longterm.  Pricecharting may not be perfect, but JJ seems to be continually adding more features each week, and (if he doesn't sell the site) I believe the site will be relevant for years to come.

Dude, they offer a once a week export to cvs, no reason to not upload as you can always export/backup your collection. https://www.pricecharting.com/export-collection

• Thanks 1

Unless things have changed in the last year or so, the #1 hesitation I've had about using any of these tools other than GameValueNow is that when you go to import your collection and if you have errors, they don't spit out an error report.  So, you still have to check each game, one at a time.

I want to move my list from GVN to pricecharting, but it takes only about 75% of my list, and since it's so tedious to compare the original with what was uploaded, I might as well hand-key my multiple thousands of games.  I've considered doing it one system at a time, but I've just not gotten around to it.

10 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Someone should really create an all inclusive comprehensive collection tracker. I'd pay money for it.

No doubt.  Every one I've peeked at is lacking or has an uncomfortable and wonky way to maybe add stuff their so called know it all database includes, which we all know is bs.  That's why I gave up bothering and stuck to HTML on private web space, but that stuff is never long term reliable.  If there were an iOS/Android/PC tool I'd be on board for a small fee, I think many people would.