IGNORED

Collection Tracker App or Website

On 3/24/2022 at 9:27 AM, Gloves said:

I made my own: https://glovesoff.games

The ultimate control.

Hey, slick yourself! Love the navigation.

Just wondering, how do you manage your database? I've been considering doing a firebase + auth UI to fill out a form right on my website, but I don't want to spend time on it to later find out a simpler solution exists.

Right now I build a json file server side during build time and use it as a static asset. I'm lazy.

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, inasuma said:

Hey, slick yourself! Love the navigation.

Just wondering, how do you manage your database? I've been considering doing a firebase + auth UI to fill out a form right on my website, but I don't want to spend time on it to later find out a simpler solution exists.

Right now I build a json file server side during build time and use it as a static asset. I'm lazy.

I use a CMS - Contentful.

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2022 at 9:15 AM, RH said:

I might as well hand-key my multiple thousands of games.  I've considered doing it one system at a time, but I've just not gotten around to it.

That's what I ended up doing and it didn't take that long to go system up system. Just do all the CIBs first and then game only.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

That's what I ended up doing and it didn't take that long to go system up system. Just do all the CIBs first and then game only.

I actually have a slow day at work and I'm doing this now.  I started with the Switch (because GVN has done a poor job keeping up with modern releases) and now I'm working on NES titles.

Administrator · Posted
25 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Disagree.

All inclusive - Includes everything.

comprehensive - complete, including all or nearly all elements.

Not sure what you're getting at.

I took your meaning to be... 

All inclusive: able to add any type of collectible. 

Comprehensive: containing information for all of the above. 

Which would be quite the task. 

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, inasuma said:

Very cool. I ended up learning that Netlify has its own CMS which does almost precisely what i want. 😄 

They do indeed! I wasn't a big fan the couple times I used it, though a Collection Tracker may very well be a decent use case!

54 minutes ago, Gloves said:

They do indeed! I wasn't a big fan the couple times I used it, though a Collection Tracker may very well be a decent use case!

it's not too bad! hardest part is defining the config/schema for all the fields of each game entry. but it lets you do that for static files which i quite like.

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.39.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.40.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.41.22 AM.png

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, inasuma said:

it's not too bad! hardest part is defining the config/schema for all the fields of each game entry. but it lets you do that for static files which i quite like.

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.39.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.40.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.41.22 AM.png

The UI is giving me terrible flashbacks. Trigger warning!

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, inasuma said:

is it that bad? 😱

The UI itself is... fine. My experiences honestly were in a case where it wasn't really the right tool for the job, so it brings me back to some painful time trying to make the cube fit in the circle hole.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t mind paying for something decent that has an app and desktop version is anyone here using this by chance? My man SeeJayAre on YouTube vouches for it but I wanted to see if anyone here has experience or is using it. I’ve been getting an increasing amount of web errors from GVN so it might be time to move away from that. 

https://www.collectorz.com/game/clz-games

Edited by a3quit4s

On 4/10/2022 at 10:07 AM, a3quit4s said:

I wouldn’t mind paying for something decent that has an app and desktop version is anyone here using this by chance? My man SeeJayAre on YouTube vouches for it but I wanted to see if anyone here has experience or is using it. I’ve been getting an increasing amount of web errors from GVN so it might be time to move away from that. 

https://www.collectorz.com/game/clz-games

Wow on a site full of collectors no one uses or has used this? Either it’s really bad or y’all cheap lol

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Wow on a site full of collectors no one uses or has used this? Either it’s really bad or y’all cheap lol

Some time ago I used the PureGaming one app. I was always hopeful they'd make an Android version, but I don't think that ever happened. I got tired of carrying an old iPhone just for the sake of the app. It was a one time charge and it was perfect, but only for Apple.

$15 a year doesn't seem bad and it's about time I look into another, more useful program.

Well, this discussion helped me bite the bullet and just move over to Price Charting.  It's free.  I like free.  I can also list some dupe games for sale over there, which I've typically not tracked but now I'm adding to that pile.

I'm slowly migrating by taking pictures of each collection by system and then adding each game manually.  Granted, 1/3 of my collection is GB carts, so that's going to be a pain since I want to go one-by-one, but at least the process has started.  I've probably added a couple hundred games already and sometimes simply starting is the hard part.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've been putting this together for a while now. Would love to share it with you all and if you have feedback, do share.

https://afew.games

The main things I'm trying to do with it are track games (of course) and share some of the things I've learned over the years of collecting/learning from folks in the community. Plus I used to write a lot and am craving it lately. lol

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, inasuma said:

I've been putting this together for a while now. Would love to share it with you all and if you have feedback, do share.

https://afew.games

The main things I'm trying to do with it are track games (of course) and share some of the things I've learned over the years of collecting/learning from folks in the community. Plus I used to write a lot and am craving it lately. lol

I lol'ed:

George W. is a web developer by day, and avid game collector by night. He considers himself an amateur blogger and isn't sure why he's writing in the third person.

• Thanks 1

I've never found a tracker that incorporates alll the variants I collect so a few years ago I built my own. Before it was finished I needed more features so I scrapped it and started building it again. Then I scrapped it again and now I'm going mobile only. I actually just had a meeting with some of the technical leads at AWS this morning about incorporating some features from their Rekognition service with machine learning. This one will have box art recognition, most recent eBay sales, Heritage Auctions sales and Wata population reports. They just don't know they'll create me an API yet.

• Haha 2

I use the Retro Game Collector app for no other reason than

• I can filter their "full" list of games to keep out ones I don't want (foreign, unlicensed)
  • I can sort and show my collection based on publisher. So, if I want to see which Activision games I'm missing for the 2600, it's easy to do so.

I couldn't find any other tool where I could do both.