Nintegageo

#1 N64 game?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. #1 N64 game?

• Super Mario 64
    • The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

Am i the only one that loathes n64 zelda?  😏

I half do, as if I hadn't called it Majora's Mistake enough times over the last 20 years -- screw that terrible game at so many levels.  I still think one of the biggest foul ups on both, no jumping.  I mean I kind of get why at face value, but I wonder if they just weren't also smart enough to make a good jump+camera mechanic so they locked it.  It felt like a bad bionic commando nightmare at points where link couldn't walk over a rock like Super Joe, but could grab arm/hook shot though which at moments was utterly maddening.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Jeevan said:

Am i the only one that loathes n64 zelda?  😏

I'll be honest, at the risk of having my VGS membership card revoked, 3D Zelda (with one significant exception *ahemBotWcough*) has never been even close to as good in my eyes as 2D Zelda. Ocarina, Majora, Wind Waker, all fine games, sure, but none would even crack my top 5 Zelda titles.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I half do, as if I hadn't called it Majora's Mistake enough times over the last 20 years -- screw that terrible game at so many levels.  I still think one of the biggest foul ups on both, no jumping.  I mean I kind of get why at face value, but I wonder if they just weren't also smart enough to make a good jump+camera mechanic so they locked it.  It felt like a bad bionic commando nightmare at points where link couldn't walk over a rock like Super Joe, but could grab arm/hook shot though which at moments was utterly maddening.

I honestly think they removed manual jumping from OOT so people wouldn't say that Zelda 64 was just "Mario 64 with a sword."  Remember that 3D gaming was very new at the time, and Nintendo was very leery of making a misstep at this important juncture in the history of gaming, nevermind that gamers themselves saw things a lot differently then than they do now...

• Disagree 1

@Dr. Morbis Probably so.  When I said that I was thinking of then, not now, as that's how I felt 25 years ago too.  I just hated the removal of what felt like an obvious move needed for a 3D space.  Mario 64 with a sword wouldn't have been a bad thing, but a bit hard to draw that conclusion since it was a progressively large world, not some bit sized floating squares with mini objectives on the terrain.  But at the same time, the media trolls and post-16bit fanboy console wars warriors would have had a field day making ignorant statements too.

• Disagree 1

On 3/22/2022 at 9:32 PM, CodysGameRoom said:

There's nothing wrong with the SM64 camera. Use the C buttons, get good.

It's like Comet said regarding that one reindeer's first flight attempt...the SM64 camera was VERY good, for a first try.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
On 3/22/2022 at 8:32 PM, CodysGameRoom said:

There's nothing wrong with the SM64 camera. Use the C buttons, get good.

Nostalgia's a hell of a bitch.

120 stars earned multiple times.  Got good.  Love the game and own every version of it. Camera spade's still a spade. 😏

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

On 3/26/2022 at 8:13 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Nostalgia's a hell of a bitch.

120 stars earned multiple times.  Got good.  Love the game and own every version of it. Camera spade's still a spade. 😏

If only earning 120 stars in Sunshine was that easy!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 10:02 AM, Skorp said:

From your list, I would choose Zelda Ocarina of Time. However in reality, it would actually be neither for me. Favorite would be Donkey Kong 64 followed by Paper Mario.

It warms my heart to see another person who regards DK64 as their favorite 64 title 

On 4/10/2022 at 11:02 AM, Skorp said:

From your list, I would choose Zelda Ocarina of Time. However in reality, it would actually be neither for me. Favorite would be Donkey Kong 64 followed by Paper Mario.

I've not played Dk64 at all but it's on my list of games I might one day pick up.  Paper Mario though was/is excellent.  I played it for the first time on the Wii on the VC and I loved every minute of it.  I also tried to play through Mario RPG on the SNES Mini but I kind of just got bored with it.  I mean, I could see the appeal and I would have loved it as a kid, but something between the two.  I actually liked Paper Mario better.  Even I don't feel that's right.

Not sure if it's better than Mario 84 OR Zelda though.  But it could be close.