#1 N64 game: Mario 64 or Ocarina?

Nintegageo

#1 N64 game?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. #1 N64 game?

• Super Mario 64
    • The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

12 minutes ago, RH said:

Here you all are debating about your A-list titles, and which is best and I’ll just take my copy of the real superior game and head home.

Virtual Pool 64

I think I remember renting that game from Blockbuster actually 😆 can’t remember if it was any good, well as good as a pool game can be anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brickman said:

I think I remember renting that game from Blockbuster actually 😆 can’t remember if it was any good, well as good as a pool game can be anyway.

I am only half kidding.  Most N64 titles are available on other systems and can be played pretty easily on emulators or those devices.  Virtual Pool 64 is considered by many pool sim enthusiasts to be one of the best of all time.  It really nailed the 3D physics but the way your thumb is positioned on the analog made it feel much more intuit and proper for a pool sim game.  It's an odd choice but of all N64 games I've played, it really does feel like the one that 100% belongs on the N64 controller and nothing else.

No, I'm not saying it's the greatest N64 game of all time, but for what the N64 offers, it probably is the single case that fits the controller for what it is with perfection.

Edited by RH
  • Like 3

Super Mario 64 seems like it would probably be better to repeatedly replay over and over but at this point I don't generally like playing games that way. I prefer to be done with games and after I've beaten them and done all the side content I wanted to, it's probably best to move on, maybe revisiting several years later if I feel the urge. So voted Ocarina of Time.

Also I understand and experienced myself why people were impressed with the Wing Cap back in the day but I don't particularly like it at this point. Only ever gotten to 119 stars, the missing one being the secret star on the opposite side from the entrance to Rainbow Ride. screw you wing cap you denied me yoshi!

2 hours ago, RH said:

No, I'm not saying it's the greatest N64 game of all time, but for what the N64 offers, it probably is the single case that fits the controller for what it is with perfection.

Well there's also the sheer pain caused by having some of Mario Party 1's minigames using THAT control stick. Hard to replicate that experience elsewhere!

3 hours ago, RH said:

I tried to play it on the DS touch screen which was pretty rough. I should try it again with the 3ds thumbpad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G-type said:

I tried to play it on the DS touch screen which was pretty rough. I should try it again with the 3ds thumbpad.

Despite having better graphics and more content, the DS port of Mario 64 is massively hampered by the digital control scheme.

The 3DS circle pad only replicates the digital input of the DS d-pad, it doesn't actually allow for proper analogue control. It's not TERRIBLE (and certainly WAY better than using the touchscreen), but it doesn't play anywhere near what it should.

For a decent Mario 64 experience in 2022, if you don't have access to the original, or you would prefer the portable experience, I would highly recommend the 3D All stars port on Switch. Looks and plays great honestly, even sitting on the toilet! 😉

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

If either title is warty nowadays, it's SM64. That camera!

That camera is fantastic what are you on about?  It's still one of the best camera in that genre of 3D game.  The level of controls is great, and when it handles itself more often than not it does just fine.  Commonly games in this style have utterly garbage cameras that get blocked, stuck, or can position right manually or automatic.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, G-type said:

good call!

Oh yeah, and I guess I should add that the OPPOSITE advice holds true for the other subject of our poll here, Ocarina of Time!

The 3DS port of Ocarina of Time is absolutely fantastic, easily the best version of the game, as long as you don't need it on a TV screen! 😉

24 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Oh yeah, and I guess I should add that the OPPOSITE advice holds true for the other subject of our poll here, Ocarina of Time!

The 3DS port of Ocarina of Time is absolutely fantastic, easily the best version of the game, as long as you don't need it on a TV screen! 😉

I definitely like playing Zelda on handheld. I was playing the original on the switch last month, although I kept cheating and using the rewind button any time I screwed up, and maybe that is what made me lose interest. Also Phantom hourglass is still probably my favorite of them all.

5 minutes ago, G-type said:

I definitely like playing Zelda on handheld. I was playing the original on the switch last month, although I kept cheating and using the rewind button any time I screwed up, and maybe that is what made me lose interest. Also Phantom hourglass is still probably my favorite of them all.

If you like phantom hourglass I definitely recommend you try out spirit tracks too!

It gets TONS of unfair criticism from people, but it's actually one of my favourite Zelda games, it's an excellent game, even better than PH IMO.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That camera is fantastic what are you on about?  It's still one of the best camera in that genre of 3D game.  The level of controls is great, and when it handles itself more often than not it does just fine.  Commonly games in this style have utterly garbage cameras that get blocked, stuck, or can position right manually or automatic.

Hmm, I guess I just have to disagree.  I've played through a lot of 3D games in the last 25 years, and even though I've returned to SM64 many times across all of its releases, it was a rough go in 2020 with 3D All-Stars.

I've never had an issue going back to Ocarina, which I also revisit across all of its releases.

57 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

Mario 64. I have played it multiple times since it released.
Just the thought of having to replay the water temple, prevents me from picking Ocarina.  

You know, I never thought about it like that but I think part of the reason why I have had difficulty returning to OoT isn’t because it’s not good but that that the unfun parts are really a chore. The water temple is where I last left off and I have to say, I agree with you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Hmm, I guess I just have to disagree.  I've played through a lot of 3D games in the last 25 years, and even though I've returned to SM64 many times across all of its releases, it was a rough go in 2020 with 3D All-Stars.

I've never had an issue going back to Ocarina, which I also revisit across all of its releases.

Well to be fair, I find the 3D Allstars version harder to manage than the original.  Not sure what the hell they did.  And that's not to say I've not tried using other controllers.  I still have that reengineered from scratch Super Mario 64 dump to PC, android, etc for the PC, Vanilla release.  I've played it using a gamecube usb controller, and an xbox 360 usb game pad mostly and I can fly through it better than the N64 release since that stick gets slippery.  The Switch one I thought I'd find most comfortable, it was not.  Mind you the real turd of that release is Sunshine, it's annoying playing it on there at all.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, RH said:

You know, I never thought about it like that but I think part of the reason why I have had difficulty returning to OoT isn’t because it’s not good but that that the unfun parts are really a chore. The water temple is where I last left off and I have to say, I agree with you.

For me, the Water Temple is the one part of OOT that feels as clunky and frustrating to play as it is controlling the camera in the latter part of SM64...    WHY NO HOT-KEY TO CHANGE MY BOOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1