IGNORED

**VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest Leaderboard & Rules 2022**

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Welcome to the 2022 VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contests! 

Weekly Contest Moderators
@BeaIank
@guillavoie

GENERAL CONTEST RULES

Please read these rules carefully before you submit a score.  Failure to comply with the rules may result in your score being disqualified.  If you're new to the contests, please take a few minutes to read over the rules to make sure you submit your scores correctly.

Posting Scores

- In order to submit a score for the contest, take a picture of your score with your VGS user name written or typed on a piece of paper, which must be present in the picture. Your VGS user name MUST be in the picture or the score will be invalid and not accepted or considered.
- The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of the contest organizers.
- Old scores from past contests are not acceptable as submissions.  You must play the game during the week it has been selected for the contests.  Anyone suspected as passing off an old score as a new one will have their score disqualified and asked to resubmit a new one.
- When posting a new score, please begin your post by typing out your score.  Larger font (18pt) is preferred.
- If you are posting an updated score, please edit your initial post with the new photo and score. You can still create a separate new post as a bump to notify you edited your score if desired.  Editing your original post makes it much easier for the contest organizers to tally up the scores at the end of the week and also ensures that we don't make a mistake and credit you for the wrong score.
- For speed runs contests, we will be requiring video to show your progress time, baring cases were a speed run may take over 1 hour of recording time.

Systems

- NTSC systems will be the only consoles allowed for the contests.  PAL systems and games will not be allowed.  There are some PAL games that are optimized to run at the same speed and difficulty as NTSC games.  These will be allowed for use in the contests, but you MUST contact contest organizers first before using such a game so that we can investigate it.  Failure to contact us first could result in your score being disqualified.

Emulators

- Emulators ARE allowed to be used in the weekly contests. However, anything that may give a player an advantage with an emulator over playing on the system is NOT allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, save states, Game Genie codes, altered ROMS, and turbo controls.  It is preferred if everyone plays on a console.
- There may be some weeks where emulator use will not be allowed.  If we choose not to use emulators for a specific week, it will be noted in the rules.  This means NO emulators can be used whatsoever and the game MUST be played on a console.  If we play a game and emulators are forbidden and someone still submits a score using an emulator, the score will be ignored..

PowerPak

- A PowerPak IS allowed to be used in the competition with the same regulations as with emulators. You may not use save states, Game Genies codes, altered ROMs or anything else that would give you an advantage over playing with the regular cartridge.

Points and Leaderboards

- Each week the top 8 players who submitted scores will earn points as follows:

1st - 20 points
2nd - 16 points
3rd - 13 points
4th - 10 points
5th - 8 points
6th - 6 points
7th - 5 points
8th - 4 points
9th - 3 points
10th - 2 points
Participation -  1

- Anyone who finishes below 10th place will earn 1 participation point.
- There will only be 1 regular leaderboard throughout the year, which will lead right up to the tournament.  The leaderboard style will be the same as 2017 and all points on the leaderboard will be cumulative.
- There will still be genre leaderboards for 2022. The genre for the 2022 contest will be:
     Action
     Arcade
     Beat 'Em Up
     Puzzle
     Shooter/Shoot 'Em Up
     Sports

- All games played in the 2022 contests will be reflective of those genres.  The genre leaderboards will use the same point system as the regular leaderboard, and whoever finishes atop each leaderboard prior to the start of the year-end tournament will win that genre and will be rewarded with a VGS Charms.
- The genre leaderboards are just for fun and will not impact anyone's standing in the tournaments.  So, if you feel you excel at Beat 'Em Ups, go for the Beat 'Em Up Charms.

Participation Score

- There may be instances where the rules of a game will require you to attain a minimum number of points in order to earn participation points for that week.  For example, if we play Double Dragon, you may be required to score at least 50,000 to earn participation points toward the leaderboard.  Participation scores will be noted in the rules if they will be used for a specific week.  In the event we set a participation score, any scores submitted that do not meet the minimum amount of points will be ignored.

Controllers

- Turbo Controllers are NOT allowed to be used. Neither are any controllers that give you any advantage over regular controllers, such as slow motion or turbo ability.
- If anyone is suspected of using turbo functions, slow motion abilities, etc from a controller, your score will be disqualified and you will be banned from further competition.

Cheating

- Cheating will NOT be tolerated in any form. This contest is based on trust and honor. Anyone found cheating will be banned from further competition.
- The use of point glitches to intentionally increase (or in the case of a low score contest, decrease) your score are frowned upon and not allowed in the contests.  If a point glitch is discovered that can create an unfair advantage, the rules for the game will be altered to ban the glitch.  Anyone suspected of using point glitches will have their score disqualified.
- If there is suspicion of a participant cheating, the contest moderators will review the case and the member may be asked to present further evidence of their score.  Further evidence includes, but is not limited to, video recordings and/or extra pictures.
- If you suspect another participant of cheating, do NOT call them out in the contest threads.  Please send a PM to the contest organizers and we will review the score.  Posting accusations in the contest threads creates unnecessary drama and stress for all involved and will NOT be tolerated.

Sportsmanship and Overall Conduct

- Please be a good sport while playing in the weekly contests.  While smack talk and the occasional vent are fine, please do not get carried away with it.  This includes, but is not limited to, name calling, excessive venting/complaining/whining, excessive profanity, cocky attitudes, arguing with contest moderators, accusations of cheating, cluttering threads with nonsense posts, etc.  Participants who cannot be good sports will receive a warning from me.  If your overall conduct is still considered to be in poor taste, you will be banned from the contests.
- Disrupting of the weekly contests in any way will NOT be tolerated.  This includes, but is not limited to, trolling, name calling, unauthorized prize giveaways, unnecessary drama, etc.  Anyone who disrupts the weekly contests in any form will be reported to a site moderator.

Tournament

- There will be one tournament played this year and that will be hosted in a matter of weeks after the end of the regular season. 
- The number of competitors will be based on how many people participate and will be announced prior to the start of the tournament.
- Anyone who earns a spot in the tournament will receive a PM asking for them to confirm their tournament spot prior to the start of the competition.  Those who can't or are unwilling to participate will have their spot forfeited to the next available person.

RANDOM PRIZES

- Random prizes will be given out throughout the year whenever we have a prize to offer.  These will be announced at random with no particular dates set in stone.  More than likely, anyone who participates in a particular contest will entered into a drawing for a chance to win a prize.  These prizes will be video game related in some way.
- To make it fair for everyone who plays in the contests, you can only win one random prize for the year.
- If anyone is interested in donating prizes to the weekly contests, please contact contest organizers first so arrangements can be made.  Do not feel compelled to have to donate to the weekly contests, but if you really want to, feel free to do it.
- If anyone wants to give away a prize on their own time for a particular contest, you must contact the contest organizers first to get authorization to do so.  Any unauthorized giveaways will NOT be allowed.
- In the event you win a prize, whether it be a random drawing or a tournament prize, we will send you a PM requesting your mailing address.  When giving your mailing address, please give your full name (first and last name) and not just your first name or VGS user name.  We want to ensure you receive your prize quickly and safely. .Once your package leaves our hands and is submitted to the post office, we will be not responsible for any lost, late, misdirected, mutilated, or returned packages.  If you are afraid something may happen to your prize, please request insurance.

UPCOMING GAMES FOR 2022

NOTE: This list may be revised with or without notice.  In the event we are not playing a game for a specific week, it will be noted as such on the schedule. The genre for each game is listed after the game title.  

2022-03-13

Megaman 2

Action

2022-03-20

Paperboy 2

Arcade

2022-03-27

Parodius (Famicom)

Shooter

2022-04-03

Kung Fu

Beat'em up

2022-04-10

Pipe Dream

Puzzle

2022-04-17

Tecmo NBA Basketball

Sports

2022-04-24

2022-05-01

Gunsmoke

Shooter

2022-05-08

TMNT 2

Beat'em up

2022-05-15

Lode runner (Famicom)

Arcade

2022-05-22

Roadrunner

Action

2022-05-29

Captain Tsubasa/Tecmo Cup Soccer Game

Sports

2022-06-05

kickle cubicle

Puzzle

2022-06-12

2022-06-19

Galaxy 5000

Sports

2022-06-26

Flappy (Famicom)

Puzzle

2022-07-03

Double Dragon 3 (progress)

Beat'em up

2022-07-10

Donkey Kong

Arcade

2022-07-17

Karnov (progression/low score)

Beat'em up

2022-07-24

Silver Surfer

Shooter

2022-07-31

2022-08-07

Rampart

Arcade

2022-08-14

Castlevania

Action

2022-08-21

Stinger

Shooter

2022-08-28

Wario's Woods

Puzzle

2022-09-04

Tecmo bowl

Sports

2022-09-11

Hokuto no Ken (Famicom)

Beat'em up

2022-09-18

2022-09-25

Best of the Best: Championship Karate

Beat'em up

2022-10-02

Tetris

Puzzle

2022-10-09

Top Gun

Shooter

2022-10-16

Godzilla

Action

2022-10-23

Burger Time

Arcade

2022-10-30

Double Dragon 2 (high score or progress)

Beat'em up

2022-11-06

2022-11-13

Tournament

Games per Genre:

Action
Megaman 2 Speedrun
Lode runner (Famicom)
Godzilla
Karnov (progression/low score)
Castlevania Speedrun

Arcade
Donkey Kong
Paperboy 2
Roadrunner
Rampart
Burger Time

Shooter
Silver Surfer
Top Gun
Parodius (Famicom)
Gunsmoke
Stinger

Beat'em up
Double Dragon 3 (progress)
Double Dragon 2 (high score or progress)
TMNT 2
Kung Fu
Hokuto no Ken (Famicom)

Puzzle
Tetris
Wario's Woods
Kickle cubicle
Flappy (Famicom)
Pipe Dream

Sports
Galaxy 5000
Best of the Best: Championship Karate
Tecmo bowl
Captain Tsubasa/Tecmo Cup Soccer Game
Tecmo NBA Basketball

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Events Team · Posted

GERAL SCOREBOARD

1st PII 466
2nd Dr. Morbis 392
3rd Krunch 236
4th the_wizard_666 214
5th mbd39 192
6th Bearcat-Doug 174
7th NESfiend 160
8th docile tapeworm 112
9th 8bitdontquit 84
10th RH 58
11th JamesRobot 55
12th Jeevan 37
13th Johnny Nunchucks 36
14th Richardhead 32
15th Gloves 31
16th 0xDEAFC0DE 20
17th nesmaster14 17
18th Link 16
19th Philosoraptor 11
19th Mega Tank 11
21st Splain 10
22nd darkchylde28 8
23rd SuperJimtendo 4
23rd TWarwick07 4
23rd a3quit4s 4

GENRE SCOREBOARD

PUZZLE

1st PII 77
2nd Dr. Morbis 57
3rd Krunch 55
4th the_wizard_666 54
5th mbd39 50
6th 0xDEAFC0DE 20
7th RH 16
8th NESfiend 14
9th Bearcat-Doug 13
10th Splain 10
10th Johnny Nunchucks 10
12th Jeevan 6
13th Mega Tank 5
14th SuperJimtendo 4
15th JamesRobot 2

ACTION

1st PII 96
2nd Dr. Morbis 68
3rd JamesRobot 30
4th Krunch 28
5th mbd39 26
5th Bearcat-Doug 26
7th Richardhead 20
8th the_wizard_666 17
9th 8bitdontquit 16
10th Link 10
11th docile tapeworm 8
11th RH 8
11th NESfiend 8
11th darkchylde28 8
15th Gloves 6
16th nesmaster14 5

SHOOTER

1st Dr. Morbis 78
2nd docile tapeworm 75
3rd PII 65
4th NESfiend 28
5th 8bitdontquit 24
6th mbd39 22
7th Gloves 20
7th Bearcat-Doug 20
9th Krunch 16
10th Jeevan 13
10th the_wizard_666 13
10th RH 13
13th nesmaster14 8
13th Richardhead 8
15th Philosoraptor 5

BEAT'EM UP

1st PII 77
2nd mbd39 64
3rd Dr. Morbis 61
4th NESfiend 41
5th Bearcat-Doug 40
6th 8bitdontquit 36
7th Krunch 31
8th the_wizard_666 26
9th Johnny Nunchucks 10
10th JamesRobot 9
11th Link 6
11th docile tapeworm 6
11th Philosoraptor 6
14th RH 5
15th TWarwick07 4

ARCADE

1st PII 89
2nd Dr. Morbis 68
3rd Krunch 59
4th Bearcat-Doug 49
5th mbd39 30
6th NESfiend 23
7th the_wizard_666 19
8th JamesRobot 14
9th RH 11
10th Jeevan 10
10th docile tapeworm 10
12th 8bitdontquit 8
13th Johnny Nunchucks 6
14th Gloves 5
15th Richardhead 4
15th a3quit4s 4

SPORTS

1st the_wizard_666 85
2nd PII 62
3rd Dr. Morbis 60
4th Krunch 47
5th NESfiend 46
6th Bearcat-Doug 26
7th docile tapeworm 13
8th Johnny Nunchucks 10
9th Jeevan 8
10th Mega Tank 6
11th RH 5
12th nesmaster14 4

50 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

Oh of course, it's Mega Man 2 and not any of the others. Should've guessed.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "Mega Man games" in the suggestions topic, because let's face it...we all knew which one it was gonna be if we did play a Mega Man game.

The original Mega Man was played in the contests not too long ago.

Mega Man 2 speed run right out of the gate... 😲

A couple of games in there that I've never played... Who's ever spent time with Best of the Best ?!?!?!

Puzzle games are mostly on the action side... should be interesting...

There are some good popular titles in there, this should be fun...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

You know, at first I wasn't really enthused about the list, but then I looked closer.  There's some really good picks in there, and even the "out there" selections seem like great picks, especially the Famicom games...although I'm curious what the differences are between the Famicom and NES versions of Lode Runner that would require the use of one over the other.  I'm also curious about speedrunning the games - would a full completion need to be done for those, or is it "progression with speed as the tiebreaker" like Batman was in the final?  Cuz if completion is a requirement for Mega Man 2, I'm not even gonna be able to get a participation score without a crapton of continues 😛

Events Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

although I'm curious what the differences are between the Famicom and NES versions of Lode Runner that would require the use of one over the other.

That's my bad, I forgot there was a US release of this game. I played it and the sequel entirely on multicartridges when I was young, which often makes me forget that the first one is part of the US set.

9 minutes ago, PII said:

Looks like a pretty Great list, only wish there were more racers.  

Also, kinda wish that one of the speedruns wasn't going to be right off the bat since I still need to figure out what I'm going to get for recording...

Well you do have like 15 days till the first week even starts...

59 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

That's my bad, I forgot there was a US release of this game. I played it and the sequel entirely on multicartridges when I was young, which often makes me forget that the first one is part of the US set.

Friendly February reminder about our charms for 2020 and 2021.  You don't want to be falling a full three years behind:

8 hours ago, BeaIank said:

- All games played in the 2022 contests will be reflective of those genres.  The genre leaderboards will use the same point system as the regular leaderboard, and whoever finishes atop each leaderboard prior to the start of the year-end tournament will win that genre and will be rewarded with a VGS Charms.

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Friendly February reminder about our charms for 2020 and 2021.  You don't want to be falling a full three years behind:

The 2020 and 2021 Charms are on their way my good man, we've been on this thing since January. The icons are all made up and ready, we're just waiting for them to be actually implemented in the Charms distribution bank so we can hand them out. I'll try to haste things up with the other staff members involved, as it is just awfully true that they're long overdue at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Understandable.  I did notice the other multicart additions too...looking forward to Hokuto No Ken and Flappy!

Events Team · Posted
6 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

You know, at first I wasn't really enthused about the list, but then I looked closer.  There's some really good picks in there, and even the "out there" selections seem like great picks, especially the Famicom games...although I'm curious what the differences are between the Famicom and NES versions of Lode Runner that would require the use of one over the other.  I'm also curious about speedrunning the games - would a full completion need to be done for those, or is it "progression with speed as the tiebreaker" like Batman was in the final?  Cuz if completion is a requirement for Mega Man 2, I'm not even gonna be able to get a participation score without a crapton of continues 😛

Usually, it will be progress with speed as the tiebreaker.
Except for Megaman 2. For Megaman 2 it will be "Beat all 8 robot masters and time your run, lowest time wins".

Except for Megaman 2. For Megaman 2 it will be "Beat all 8 robot masters and time your run, lowest time wins".

So not the full game, just the 8 levels?  That may be doable.  I'll have to practice...haven't played a Mega Man game in...*checks list*...nearly a decade...but it's not out of the realm of possibility at least.

• Wow! 1

Events Team · Posted

It should go without saying, but we're talking hard mode here, right?

Right? 👀