IGNORED

**VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest Leaderboard & Rules 2022**

BeaIank

So the racing cat has been eliminated and we only got one racer in sports cat. As much as that is a gutshot to me, its still a really badass looking schedule. Look forward to a lot of these games and Ill play hard for second to @mbd39kung fu week!  

And Ill take holding the title as the only racing champ in contest history, and brag about it relentlessly despite the fact that no one else will ever care. Well no except that @PIIdude. Feel bad for ya. I dont think I would have had a great shot at repeating against you, but the mods bailed me out.

The one racing game is a great choice though, but damn is that timing tough. My biggest litigation of the year scheduled that week. Since there is only one racer, and its maybe the best one ever, Ill shamelessly beg @BeaIankto switch spots on it with a may or june game....

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

The one racing game is a great choice though, but damn is that timing tough. My biggest litigation of the year scheduled that week. Since there is only one racer, and its maybe the best one ever, Ill shamelessly beg @BeaIankto switch spots on it with a may or june game....

I will reshuffle the schedule to accommodate this.

3 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

So I have no clue how to capture a speed run.  My stupid "smart" phone will only record for 10 minutes straight.  Can anyone give me some pointers?

I will ponder about this as well and come up with a solution that will try to please all of you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

So I have no clue how to capture a speed run.  My stupid "smart" phone will only record for 10 minutes straight.  Can anyone give me some pointers?

Actually my crappy camera can only do just over 20 minutes straight, so I've been banking on all eight MM2 levels being do-able in that amount of time (though I haven't done a trial run yet).

I'm really hoping we don't get any super long speed run contests...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

20 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

So I've been trying to use my laptop camera to record and have been running into brightness issues w/the game screen being rendered nearly un-viewable.  I changed my setup and got better results.  Was about to post a couple of quick several second long megaman 2 recordings for potential approval only to receive notice that

"1 file was larger than the maximum file size of 4.88MB, and was skipped"

@BeaIank ...or anyone else for that matter, how/in what format are we supposed to be posting videos?

14 minutes ago, PII said:

"1 file was larger than the maximum file size of 4.88MB, and was skipped"

@BeaIank ...or anyone else for that matter, how/in what format are we supposed to be posting videos?

For the Final last year, I posted my video on youtube and then provided a link in the thread...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hallelujah.  This is a good example of how things can get a bit washed out even with the brightness turned all the way down.  Hopefully it'll be acceptable.

Also, is there any necessity of an external timer in our mise-en-scene?  Or is the video's internal timer sufficient?

Edited by PII

I love this list.  Speed, strategy and execution is the name of the game this year.  Rampart and Tecmo Cup Soccer are great strategy picks, maybe also Godzilla was along those lines, I never got far at all.  

TMNT2 I always love, I still need redemption from 2013.  All the high-octane speed comps look great.  Good shit!!!

Events Team · Posted
On 3/1/2022 at 12:23 AM, NESfiend said:

Galaxy 5000 was moved to June, 19th

For speed run games, if they run for too long, we will allow for picture of the starting time (game + clock with current timer + timer) and picture of the ending time (game + clock with current time + timer) or for multiple videos to be posted, each with a part of the speed run.

For speedruns that should run under 20 minutes, we will consider the time of the run as the total time of the video.

• Thanks 1

Been slowly playing through tecmo cup soccer for completions thread and Im so curious how the rules will work. Love that it was chosen. Ive raved its underrated for years. 

@BeaIankI dont know if this has ever been done before, but if its going to be a one game thing, would you consider giving players a password to play a later, or maybe the last, game so all the special characters are unlocked? Maybe a crazy idea, but that seems like a really tough game to formulate a rule set. Kudos for NOT letting that stop you from choosing it!

Events Team · Posted
11 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Been slowly playing through tecmo cup soccer for completions thread and Im so curious how the rules will work. Love that it was chosen. Ive raved its underrated for years. 

@BeaIankI dont know if this has ever been done before, but if its going to be a one game thing, would you consider giving players a password to play a later, or maybe the last, game so all the special characters are unlocked? Maybe a crazy idea, but that seems like a really tough game to formulate a rule set. Kudos for NOT letting that stop you from choosing it!

The rules will likely be playing the "TECMO CUP TOURNAMENT" and the winner will be the one with the highest goal differential in those 3 matches. I will get a proper password to let the players start there, with the team properly leveled up.

Otherwise, it will be progress, aka play till you lose the first match.

• Like 1

I like the speedrun additions!  I've never tried one but it sounds fun.

Also, I noticed people mentioning technical difficulties with recording their gameplay. I've got a few tips if that's alright.

• Smartphone: If you lower the resolution you can bypass the recording limit.  Most phones (Galaxy series, etc.) limit the length for higher-res video to avoid overheating.   Not sure if I could beat MM2 in 10-20 minutes lol. 
  • Webcam (and tips for filming CRT with smartphone or webcam): If you're filming a CRT, check if your cam has exposure and gain adjustment (not brightness) in software, you can get a good image from a CRT by adjusting the gain value and lowering the exposure value of your camera.  I've used Logitech camera/software like the C170 and C615 in the past with decent results.  All else, these settings should also apply to filming a CRT with a smartphone.  You may need to install a third-party app on your phone like OpenCamera to enable manual controls like exposure adjustments. 
Edited by nesmaster14
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BeaIank said:

The rules will likely be playing the "TECMO CUP TOURNAMENT" and the winner will be the one with the highest goal differential in those 3 matches. I will get a proper password to let the players start there, with the team properly leveled up.

Incredible idea. You may have to lose a game at some point to level properly. I lost one in the first half of the game, but not the second half of it when you are basically on a new team. Im on the last game and tied 0-0 and lost without scoring in the shootout.

Have tried a few times peppering them with all the most powerful special shots. Their gk saves everything..If I lose next go around, which I will, Im going to go back however far it sends you to get players leveled up coming back

Events Team · Posted
15 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Incredible idea. You may have to lose a game at some point to level properly. I lost one in the first half of the game, but not the second half of it when you are basically on a new team. Im on the last game and tied 0-0 and lost without scoring in the shootout.

You even have to lose a game on the second half to unlock a super special shot for Ryuuga (no idea of his name on Tecmo Cup). I will do that on the password to allow you all to have access to the best stuff in the game to play those last matches.

The week of this game will be so much fun. It is a very distinct game.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

You even have to lose a game on the second half to unlock a super special shot for Ryuuga (no idea of his name on Tecmo Cup). 

I think (key word) that the special shot that you have to lose to unlock is Damon's blast shot in tecmo cup. 

This game, probably more than any other game for NES, is the game Id most like to see @0xDEAFC0DEcrack. For years I have speculated how different moves, etc. affect the different outcomes and rng. And the info just isnt out there. I cant wait to see how this thing actually works.

That said def, enjoy it blind with the rest of us (rpg soccer, you def will love it), then crack this bitch open when scores are all final 

Edited by NESfiend