IGNORED

**VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest Leaderboard & Rules 2022**

BeaIank

5 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I gave a brief look over of all the games I wasn't super familiar with and Tecmo Cup Soccer did stand out as looking pretty interesting, both from a playing perspective and code diving perspective. Hopefully I'll have some time to dedicate to that one.

The rule set for this year doesn't appear to address the whole code-diving situation at all, so I guess you're free to do whatever you want...

6 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I gave a brief look over of all the games I wasn't super familiar with and Tecmo Cup Soccer did stand out as looking pretty interesting, both from a playing perspective and code diving perspective. Hopefully I'll have some time to dedicate to that one.

Was galaxy 5000 on the list you weren't familiar with? Incredible game. Much more than a racer

Events Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The rule set for this year doesn't appear to address the whole code-diving situation at all, so I guess you're free to do whatever you want...

We will deal with code debugging on a game per game basis.

The rules regarding code diving and debugging, when applicable, will be posted on the week before, along with the rules for the current week game.

Megaman 2 being a speed run, with all the speed run strats and manipulations already properly documented, will have no code debugging rules. But it will be a no glitch speed run.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

FWIW, I plan to share stuff immediately regardless of the rules

13 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Was galaxy 5000 on the list you weren't familiar with? Incredible game. Much more than a racer

Yeah, I didn't know much about that one either. It didn't grab me right away from the gameplay I watched, but I'll save judgement until I play it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Yeah, I didn't know much about that one either. It didn't grab me right away from the gameplay I watched, but I'll save judgement until I play it

Choose beta controls and give it a minute. The controls are a little funky at first, but flawless once you get the hang of it. And the game is all about destruction, at least early on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@BeaIank Thanks for all of your hard work.  I know historically, from time to time, you've posted the rules for certain weeks early.  Any chance we can get the rules for Gun.Smoke?

I'm curious about your thoughts on "points pressing" for this game since each level loops until you pick up the Wanted poster.  Maybe I'm just playing it wrong, but some times I get a wanted posted on my first loop on a stage but some times it doesn't seem to appear until the second or third loop on the first stage.  I'm also not reading guides (other than just the manual) so as I advance past the second stage, I'm going to have to figure out where these posters are.

Anyway, thanks for considering and see you all in about a week!  I feel like this one will be easy to max the score, if that's the goal.  Time consuming, but easy.

Events Helper · Posted
10 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

It will be high score, but I will post where the wanted posters are and you must pick them on the first loop for each stage or your score will be invalidated.

no one life?  haha, thanks much appreciated.......ill give it a bit of practice this week 🙂 

31 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

It will be high score, but I will post where the wanted posters are and you must pick them on the first loop for each stage or your score will be invalidated.

Man, I think I like this.  I'll have to look at the level maps now and memorize where these maps are.  I could have sworn I've shot at poster locations and nothing appeared on some of my practice runs, but I am new to this so maybe I'm doing something wrong.  Still, this makes maxing out the score really harder (which is a good thing).

20 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

no one life?  haha, thanks much appreciated.......ill give it a bit of practice this week 🙂 

Yeah, I've been practicing and constantly resetting after my death.  With no built-in muscle memory for this game, I think it makes me better and I plan to continue practicing that way.

6 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Shit I thought you had to buy them this whole time.

Lol.  Yeah, I did too until I ran into one and, like I said, I did read the manual.  It's not much help but it does mention you can find posters.

Having to buy them would be horrible.  In fact, I want to try to not buy anything.  Well, maybe the bomb, but 8,000 each is expensive.

2 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

I can actually force you all to buy them rather than picking them on the stage to make things more interesting.

You could, but I'm pretty sure you don't have enough points to do it on the first loop.  At least, not on the first stage.  I'd like that rule, but we'd have to be on the honor system to no point-press loops.

Events Team · Posted
Just now, RH said:

You could, but I'm pretty sure you don't have enough points to do it on the first loop.  At least, not on the first stage.  I'd like that rule, but we'd have to be on the honor system to no point-press loops.

You all will already be allowed to burn lives to point press, so I see no issue allowing looping till one can acquire the wanted poster.
Adds a new layer of strategy to the game.

• Like 1