IGNORED

Extremely minor complaints about playing games

koifish

Just as the title says, a thread for expressing your tiny gripes about game systems, or about specific games, or about anything you choose. This is intended as a dumping ground for the "first world problems" of our hobby 🙂

My gripe in mind is with the Wii. It's a very nice system with a lot of uses, but one thing that bugs me is that I use mine for both gamecube and wii games, and because that system set straddles the line between 4:3 and 16:9 as video standards, often it feels that half the games I play are meant for a tube TV and the other half for a flat screen, and I don't have one setup with both in one place. That means I end up having to unhook the wii, move it to another room, set up the sensor bar, drag over the wiimotes and nunchucks and GC pads and other accessories, just so I don't feel like I'm getting the wrong video. It's silly and minor, but that's it, and I think it perfectly captures the "tiny gripe" as I described it above.

Any of you have little things like this? I'm sure we'd all be amused if you shared them.

I have a gripe with the Wii too. I use my Wii U for both Wii U & Wii games. Which works fine. But I hate the remotes. I have a small closet sized room for gaming and it's hard to make enough room to move around freely with motion controls without worrying about bumping into things. On a similar note, PSVR with the Move controllers. Even worse since I can't see where I am in the room. 

On 8/17/2020 at 5:39 PM, koifish said:

that system set straddles the line between 4:3 and 16:9 as video standards, often it feels that half the games I play are meant for a tube TV and the other half for a flat screen, and I don't have one setup with both in one place.

Your 16:9 TV doesn't allow displaying an image in 4:3 format?
Unless you're playing a 2D game, I don't think running an image through a CRT serves much purpose.

Edited by Sumez

19 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Current generation game file sizes are outoffuckingcontrol

I even have FIOS gigabit and it’s still annoying. 

edit: oh and updates; update the game, console OS, and controller...

This, so much this. On a similar note, the need to be connected to the internet for some games, to either update them or just launch them in general. 

• Like 3

I hate having to wade through tedious equipment screens to swap out items in games designed for the need to do this frequently.  I especially hate seeing this in otherwise stellar games.  Two big examples for me are having to continuously change your boots in the Water Temple of Ocarina of Time, and having to continuously swap swords at certain points of Crystalis - both are excellent games with this niggling flaw that makes me wonder how on earth it got past the play-testers.  It especially bugs me with OOT since there are so many damn buttons on an n64 controller...

Modern free to play games where the game balance is based around charts with the devs stating something in the game is fair according to the charts, but the entire gaming community and any amount of common sense or playing the actual game for 5 minutes against it says otherwise. Sometimes charts and data =/= game balance. This always degenerates into a bad pattern of letting whatever is new/broken/unfair exist until it sells enough microtransaction stuff to those willing to borderline "pay to win", and then eventually when it's far too late gut whatever it is or power creep over it and pretend it either was never a problem or the game devs pretend to have finally listened to the community.(When they really didn't do anything of the sort.) After which the next set/champ/level/map/tier/release/etc the cycle continues with a bump up in power creep for good measure.

Edit: Not sure how minor this complaint is, lol.

Edited by Armageddon Potato
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

The Xbox 360 touch senors for power and opening the tray are too sensitive. If my pants leg brushes the button it turns off. 

The beep the 360 makes when you turn it on is also really loud.  My neighbors down the street don't need to know every time I turn my 360 on.  

• Haha 1

When Switch games disable character movement through the directional pad for no damn reason. I keep driving into walls in Mario Kart 8 because I keep forgetting I'm restricted to the joystick for no reason. The directional pad serves no other purpose, why disable it?

Also when people refer to non-CRT televisions as flat screens. There are a lot of flat screen televisions with a tube inside.

59 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

When Switch games disable character movement through the directional pad for no damn reason. I keep driving into walls in Mario Kart 8 because I keep forgetting I'm restricted to the joystick for no reason. The directional pad serves no other purpose, why disable it?

I hate not being able to use the d-pad during the 2D versions of Mario Odyssey.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Also when people refer to non-CRT televisions as flat screens. There are a lot of flat screen televisions with a tube inside.

That bugs me as well.  

Already said above, but the updates and install times. Nothing I hate more than coming home with a new game I’m excited to play and having that excitement turn to frustration because I have to deal with multiple updates that take hours to download and install. 

Also dislike that the left Switch control has buttons instead of an actual D-pad. I realize it’s for two-player games, but I’m never going to do that and would rather buy a left side that has a D-pad. 

16 hours ago, ookii_risu said:

Also dislike that the left Switch control has buttons instead of an actual D-pad. I realize it’s for two-player games, but I’m never going to do that and would rather buy a left side that has a D-pad. 

I think you, me and everyone else would buy left joycon with a d pad in an instant. And in classic Nintendo fashion, they would sell out in an instant and trickle out for full price, or scalped for a premium, for at least 10 months. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 2:30 AM, Sumez said:

Your 16:9 TV doesn't allow displaying an image in 4:3 format?
Unless you're playing a 2D game, I don't think running an image through a CRT serves much purpose.

I really hate pillarboxes when I know full well that I can avoid them. Think like the difference between watching star trek on a full screen and then going to pillarbox widescreen and seeing the enterprise cut in from big black boxes on the side of the screen. The GameCube may also have 3d games, but there are plenty of 2d objects (such as huds) that look much better on my tube. Finally, and most significant, I use my Wii often to run older console emulators, so it's not thrilling to go from playing 4:3 games on my tube to then wanting to play, say, Mario Galaxy. The worst offender is probably wario land shake it, the HUD in 16:9 is much more useful but I don't own a widescreen CRT.

Besides, I did say this was a thread for extremely minor gripes 🙂

Edited by koifish