IGNORED

What's new in your collection/Pick-up Thread !!!

Galdius

Miami how the hell do you do it?  That Gameboy stack is fantastic and that Metal Gear complete is no joke, neither exactly is the loose game price either these days.  I would have loved to got those Go keychains when I got pikachu from my kid for my birthday earlier this year.

Yet from experience, you're a winner there on those DS games you lead off with.  The Ys 1+2 conversion on there is solid and the audio cd is a lot of fun, and that MS7 game is the real deal a great game, wish I had it still (had it years ago before I let go of my DS stuff for a time.)

59 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Miami how the hell do you do it?  That Gameboy stack is fantastic and that Metal Gear complete is no joke, neither exactly is the loose game price either these days.  I would have loved to got those Go keychains when I got pikachu from my kid for my birthday earlier this year.

Yet from experience, you're a winner there on those DS games you lead off with.  The Ys 1+2 conversion on there is solid and the audio cd is a lot of fun, and that MS7 game is the real deal a great game, wish I had it still (had it years ago before I let go of my DS stuff for a time.)

I spend all day refreshing eBay, Mercari, FB Marketplace, Reddit, this forum, etc. looking for deals if I can find them. This is probably my one hobby right now. I buy bundles when I can so I can make my money back selling off the stuff I don't want. Have some spreadsheets I use to track my spending and sales to "claw my way back" to break even. So like, I had a couple Game Boy hauls earlier this year where I picked up a complete launch edition and later release console and a bunch of games. Eventually I sold off enough from those hauls that my total cost was zero. It doesn't always work out this way and sometimes it means letting go of some nice stuff but I just remind myself that I don't need to collect everything. Also as much as I can I buy direct from other collectors (on here, Reddit, FB, etc.) rather than buying on sites like eBay. Usually saves me a little bit. 

Also I'm not buying anything too expensive - so someone else might drop a grand on a really nice sealed NES game, meanwhile I might end up spending close to that in the same time frame and pick up a bunch of CIB game boy games (but hopefully I don't ever spend that much). I gave up on collecting NES, SNES and now N64 even though I love those consoles just because it feels too expensive now. I prefer something a little less competitive where I can still find some deals now and then. And I'm still selling off stuff that came from my childhood collection or stuff that I bought a couple years back at lower prices and am now letting go of to afford buying more... so I recently decided to let go of most PS1 and N64 stuff so I can continue acquiring handheld stuff (including Switch). 

This would all be much easier if I could find a deal like @Galdius and just mop up a huge chunk of the Game Boy library in one haul but we can't all be so lucky can we? 

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

This would all be much easier if I could find a deal like @Galdius and just mop up a huge chunk of the Game Boy library in one haul but we can't all be so lucky can we? 

I never got so lucky before. I don't think I'll ever find a lot like that one again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

I spend all day refreshing eBay, Mercari, FB Marketplace, Reddit, this forum, etc. looking for deals if I can find them. This is probably my one hobby right now. I buy bundles when I can so I can make my money back selling off the stuff I don't want. ...snip...

Yeah I do the same, but rarely have I the money to go hey I can blow $100 or $200 on this.  Since getting rid of the pinball machine, despite holding onto that funding and some other stuff I've sold to buy a replacement PC eventually, I've got a window now where I can pull money and just back-fund it out of paypal to the bank so I have a little more freedom.  I do the same, just on a far smaller scale than you do or some big fish flipper/scalper type who hard press marks for goods.

I mostly just watch facebook but this area isn't great, and offerup and craigslist have died, so I compete with FB or whatever shows up at halfprice books if people don't stuff it straight to ebay as they're smarter around here and those who are lazy use HPB and get gamestop rates on their stuff.  I only drop $5 and under stuff there as the hassle isn't worth it vs the credit. 😄  I hit a few thrifts, mostly just one on the way to the kids school these days, and the weekend I make a loop and that's it.  I either find a couple $5 items, or a $50 or a $100 items randomly spread wide, otherwise it's FB.

I got your message and returned it.  My current list on here is accurate more or less 90-95% if anything probably missing something new or something that maybe sold last week at worst.

• Like 1

• The topic was pinned

Well, I bit the bullet and picked this up. I got it for a "deal" considering current prices. I think this one will likely drop 25% or so if/when GameCube craziness cools down, but regardless, I wanted to play it with my kids and I didn't want to take the chances of being wrong and it continuing to climb.

IMG_20200917_112928.jpg

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, RH said:

Well, I bit the bullet and picked this up. I got it for a "deal" considering current prices. I think this one will likely drop 25% or so if/when GameCube craziness cools down, but regardless, I wanted to play it with my kids and I didn't want to take the chances of being wrong and it continuing to climb.

IMG_20200917_112928.jpg

I know GC prices are crazy right now, and I have no idea what this is going for currently, but even if it's in the $50 to $70 price range, I would argue the game is good enough to justify that kind of money.  

P.S- my SMB3, the seller told me that multiple people contacted him after I purchased offering more money. Talk about some shady dealers that are money hungry. Seller was a man of his word and honored our deal which is a breathe of fresh air but some dealers poaching these days have no honor ....  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Just looked it up.  Even the Player's Choice version is around $120.  That's the version I have.  I bought it at a flea market for $5 many, many years ago.  At the time I knew Paper Mario was a "thing," but I had no idea how good of a game I was buying.  

I'll just say I payed less than that without shipping, and I was looking for a first print run copy (or at least the first-ish copy without the "One Million Sold" badge.)

So, yeah, I got it for a "deal" but it's rare I pay that much for a game.  Regardless, I think my kids and I will like this one.  I loved the first on the 64, and from what everyone seems to say around here, this is the only real sequel.  I guess it's worth the price if there's nothing else.

Here are a few photos from my recent Atari kick. The aforementioned 5200 buy, box of controllers, and some CIBs and uncommon carts I bought. Not pictured: common carts I picked up, another box of 5200 controllers, the two “for parts” systems, and a 5200 box.

I know some of you are OCD about cartridge labels like I am, but the torn label cartridge there is Sky Skipper, the obscure arcade release by Nintendo and the only home release of the game (not counting the current Arcade Archives on Switch). I haven’t seen one in person before so I grabbed it.

The door for the controller dock is missing on my “daily driver” 5200, but that’s an easy swap from one of the other consoles.

EDF6C338-D439-4560-AFF9-9824663BB22B.jpeg

4149D40A-6AF5-408F-8B99-F319E7C01C37.jpeg

FD64C503-9E5D-447C-911B-E2EE92846200.jpeg

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Here are a few photos from my recent Atari kick.

The weird thing about the 5200 controllers is that I actually find them to be comfortable if you have one that is actually working.

I can't remember if you mentioned getting the track ball controller for the 5200 in your last post.  If you haven't I recommend it.  If you find one that is working, they work very well.  

That GC Paper Mario to me is the only good let alone great one from the entire run.  I'm glad I re-acquired it just a few years ago, so whatever it was then like $30-40 that's what I did probably if I didn't snake some local deal off a table as I forget.  The current price is garbage, quite a few of them despite rarity or not are pretty terrible so it pleases me I've held onto some stuff (Cubivore, Chibi Robo, Skies of Arcadia to name a few.)  I get it on a few things why they'd be over their old retail days or maybe even twice ($100) that but those would be the one offs.  It's nonsense when you get into people not even caring which variant of a million plus seller it is that it gets irrationally stupid on the purchasing front as panic sets in and people get that buy now or it'll get worse mindset which then causes thought to become reality.

For me, I was happy to get Ever Oasis in the mail today for 3DS.  I missed out on that one being a somewhat later game as 3DS I stopped awhile back on (around the Mario & Luigi/Metroid 2 remake days) though I mostly hadn't bought for a year before that either.  I'm finding some quality stuff and rock bottom prices. 😄

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

The weird thing about the 5200 controllers is that I actually find them to be comfortable if you have one that is actually working.

I can't remember if you mentioned getting the track ball controller for the 5200 in your last post.  If you haven't I recommend it.  If you find one that is working, they work very well.  

Yeah, after trying them out, and having owned and played both Colecovision and Intellivision for awhile now, I can safely say the 5200 controller blows them both out of the water in terms of comfort and ergonomics. I can’t believe people say this is the worst controller of all time because it’s far from it. As far as them not working, there’s a cheap kit you can buy nowadays to replace the contacts and buttons in a 5200 controller with no soldering required, and that fixes their reliability issues.

25 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Yeah, after trying them out, and having owned and played both Colecovision and Intellivision for awhile now, I can safely say the 5200 controller blows them both out of the water in terms of comfort and ergonomics. I can’t believe people say this is the worst controller of all time because it’s far from it. As far as them not working, there’s a cheap kit you can buy nowadays to replace the contacts and buttons in a 5200 controller with no soldering required, and that fixes their reliability issues.

I know about the fix, but I've never tried it.  Surprisingly, 3 out of 5 of my regular controllers are still working, and that's good enough for me.  

I don't recall if I showed this one off or not.  I used that HAPPY25 ebay code, paid $40 shipped for it.  Metroid Prime Trilogy was listed as Like New, I question if it was a case of opened and never used or just once.  It's all basically brand new, not a spot.  I was concerned, dude mailed it in a skin tight cardboard box wrap with no packing other than a grocery bag for moisture so that was lucky.  Also wasn't mentioned and I didn't even see it at first, it had one of those clear plastic box protectors included.  It too was so tight, I didn't realize it until I couldn't slide the plastic sleeve off the steelbook. 😄

Wii-MPTrilogyLE.JPG

• Like 6