IGNORED

Castlevania Games Ranked (trigger warning)

• The title was changed to Castlevania Games Ranked (trigger warning)

Yeah definitely not for me at all, and honestly, they shouldn't be comparing the originals vs the Metroid style anyways.

Comparing styles separately would say a lot more than just personal preference, it's like comparing the original mega man's versus the X series, etc.

• Like 1

I really liked Portrait of Ruin, except the game has that terrible f'n save crashing bug which is almost inexcusable.  Dawn of Sorrow would be much higher if they got rid of that damn touch screen thing during the boss battles.  I know what they were going for, but not during the damn action parts!

Editorials Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Wow that's a major clickbait BS list given how it's ordered.  The fact they put certain things fairly high and others low is just inexcusably stupid.  Cry canon or not, they left a few off there from GB, SNES, N64, PS1 etc that shouldn't be too.

You're not wrong.

But at the same time EVERY single person here would have a vastly different list from one another.  There is no possible way to do a Castlevania list without everyone keying in on whatever they disagree with the most. Im. Possible.

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

You're not wrong.

But at the same time EVERY single person here would have a vastly different list from one another.  There is no possible way to do a Castlevania list without everyone keying in on whatever they disagree with the most. Im. Possible.

Oh yeah no doubt.  I think there are cases that could be made a little on a few like the 3D ones in general are fairly disliked or despised by the fans enough considering where the list put those is kind of an insult.  I'm sure you'll find a few outliers who just love them for some reason, maybe their first, but still... ouch.  The top 3 are easily more agreeable than most, but then it's just buckshot on guesses.

I dislike seeing the exclusions and yes I know they used the speculative canon cop out for it.

The completed version of Castlevania 64(Legacy of Darkness) excluded, it was both canon and fantastic compared to other 3D attempts to utterly dismiss it.

Dracula X I guess is a catch all for PCE and SNES otherwise, kind of a shitty move excluding the latter one.

The PS1 game Chronicles should have been included too.

What utterly bullshit excuse is there for not even listing Super Castlevania IV???  They anti-Super Nintendo as both struck out??

And where's GBA excellent launch game Circle of the Moon??

If they were playing canon games I can almost get it for another, but honestly FUCK iga...Castlevania Legends is the birth of the timeline for Belmont with Sonia and it didn't fit his post 2010 narrative so it got cut??  It's arguably the best of the 3 on Gameboy, so even it should have fell into the top 10-20 range with the other two.

Found this old quote from a mid/later 2000s EGM issue where he was intereviewed, asked about her being the first.  He got to the point of this:
EGM: After Tomb Raider, don't you think a female character is more acceptable?

IGA: It's possible I guess. Although, I purposefully left the Sonia Belmont character out of the official Castlevania chronology. (laughs) Usually, the vampire storyline motifs, females tend to be sacrificed. It's easier to come up with weak, feminine characters. I'll think about it more in the future, though. It's tough to fit a female hero into the early history of Castlevania, but as you move into the modern day, females can then more easily become a hero.

15 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I don't think I've ever read this before. Is it from nostalgia or bc you actually enjoyed the game?

Well to be perfectly honest, I have played N64 maybe 10 times in the past  15 years or so. So a lot of my memories are from back in the late 90s and I loved CV. I beat it on every difficulty which is like 6 times. I even beat it start to finish one evening while my younger cousin watched. I just wanted to show him the music when you enter the Castle Wall, but got carried away and beat it.  Epic night. I have never done that with any other game.

I am also a massive CV fan. It is by far my favorite franchise and has been since I seen Simons Quest when I was 5. So I am very bias. 

Edited by killerkobra
grammar

29 minutes ago, Californication said:

I honestly think the most egregious placement is Bloodlines at #12 with the description "convoluted."

That game is excellent. I actually think it is an overall better experience than Rhondo.

Having played all 3  (both DX's and the other) I'd have to agree with that.  DX is mostly fanboy fodder thrown around like some sad litmus test of what should be a great Castlevania game, when quite frankly, it's not.  It's good, great even, but there are notable better titles from the same style (non symphony.)  I was surprised seeing it that low too.

Editorials Team · Posted
On 1/11/2022 at 5:38 PM, fcgamer said:

Kind of did the reverse, saw it was the top slot and CVIII was much lower on the list, realised it was a garbage list and closed out.

This list is garbage! - people on the internet that have played 15% of the list, probably.

In general I mean 🤣