IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Grand Finals

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Hello ladies and gentlemen!
We finally reached the climax of our tournament. The grand finals start on the 5th of December and we will crown the champion at the end 12th of December.

And the participants of our GRAND FINALS are... *drum rolls* :
@0xDEAFC0DE
@bertsampson
@Dr. Morbis
@NESfiend
@the_wizard_666

Since The_wizard_666 tied in points with NESFiend and the whole pool ordeals, I have chosen to allow him to partake in the grandfinals as well. May he put the best effort in this new found chance to greatness in the tournament.

For this grand final, we will do something never done before in the history of the weekly contest.
We will put our players speed to test in a SPEED RUN!
Our valiant top 4 will compete to see who is the fastest on a classic of a classic, Batman: The Video Game!

• One life only
  • Set up a timer (cellphone will do)
  • Timer starts when you press start to begin playing
  • For the speedrun, RAM and memory watch features are not allowed, as they provide an unfair advantage that is not possible on console.
  • Play the gamer and take a picture at the end of the run, showing your total time
  • For each stage you don't beat, including the one you didn't beat, add 10 minutes to the time.
  • Stop the timer when Batman respawns if you die, or when the Joker dies.
  • If you use your cellphone to take pictures, you can screen capture the timer screen and post it along your picture. The submission will be accepted.
  • Highest progress + Lowest total time wins

The points will be awarded like this.

• 1st place: 10 points
  • 2nd place: 7 points
  • 3rd place: 4 points
  • 4th place: 2 points
  • 5th place: 1 point

You can look at resources for this at https://www.speedrun.com/batman_the_video_game_nes/full_game

But this is not all! It is the finals, so they will have to prove they have true grit on a Famicom classic!
They will put their skill to test for bonus points at Macross, and for which will also use unique rules to determine the bonus points: 

• One life only
  • Divide your score by 100,000 and round down. This will be your bonus points
  • If you break 900,000 points, pause the game and take your picture.
  • The max bonus points one can win here is 9
  • The minimum score is 0

Your final score is your Batman score + your Macross bonus points.

Highest score will be crowded the tournament champion!

The grand finals end at 12/12/2021, 11 pm EST. Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Love 1

Events Team · Posted
1st bertsampson 19 Batman: 14:59 Macross: 902,900
2nd Dr. Morbis 16 Batman: 15:14 Macross: 942,900
3rd 0xDEAFC0DE 13 Batman: 15:28 Macross: 999,900
4th the_wizard_666 9 Batman: 38:23 Macross: 737,200
5th NESfiend 4 Batman: 40:35 Macross: 335,000

This kinda fucks @Dr. Morbis.  Dude doesn't have a cell phone...

EDIT: Repurposing this post for my scores.

BATMAN: 3-2, 8:23.76 + 30 minutes = 38:23.76

MACROSS: 737,200 = 7 Points

IMG_20211212_002010090.thumb.jpg.a4a9337ab97d4b98c366a6d9f88213b7.jpg

Goddamnit, I keep hitting wrong buttons 😆  Thankfully the timer is displayed in the video so I could get the right time, since I completely fucked up my splits at the end by hitting "clear" out of habit instead of "pause" like I had intended, and then hitting "No" instead of "Cancel," thus clearing my times...D'OH!  But yeah, best run to this point by far...3-2 is probably my limit for the time being though, as I have a shift tomorrow and tentative post-work plans.  Since Batman is probably at my personal peak, I may have to see if I can squeeze a bit more out of Macross...it's doubtful though, but who knows.

Addendum: Well, I somehow managed to pull it off...I just KILLED my prior score, and cracked the 700K mark!  Boom shaka laka!

Edited by the_wizard_666

Are you saying you want a picture of a stopped timer present in the picture of the TV screen?  If so, I've got a Hudson Soft Shuwatch that has a timer function, but it's really small.  I guess I won't worry about the logistics of this contest until I wait and see if I even make the finals.  There are only three spots available anyway since the sports genre champ was granted amnesty into the final...

Administrator · Posted
26 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

This kinda fucks @Dr. Morbis.  Dude doesn't have a cell phone...

A cell phone is just a suggestion; he's posting on a computer, maybe the computer or laptop is or can be close enough to the screen he plays on that he can take a photo.

Regardless, we can't just not do fun stuff like a speedrun because some people may not have the ability to count time in this modern age. It's pretty safe to assume that basically anyone who competes in an online forum competition has the means to access a stopwatch.

And before anyone's like "That's pretty classist! Not everyone can afford these things!" know that if price is prohibiting you from participating, there's likely something we can do about that. I'd be more than happy to buy a stopwatch off Amazon for anyone who lacks a means to participate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

A cell phone is just a suggestion; he's posting on a computer, maybe the computer or laptop is or can be close enough to the screen he plays on that he can take a photo.

Regardless, we can't just not do fun stuff like a speedrun because some people may not have the ability to count time in this modern age. It's pretty safe to assume that basically anyone who competes in an online forum competition has the means to access a stopwatch.

And before anyone's like "That's pretty classist! Not everyone can afford these things!" know that if price is prohibiting you from participating, there's likely something we can do about that. I'd be more than happy to buy a stopwatch off Amazon for anyone who lacks a means to participate.

His computer isn't even on the same floor of the house as his NES.  But he's working on a solution.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, the_wizard_666 said:

His computer isn't even on the same floor of the house as his NES.  But he's working on a solution.

I'm aware that's a possibility. T'was merely an example. As I say, I could have a stopwatch at his home tomorrow if he needs the assist. The event team aren't monsters trying to limit peoples' ability to play or otherwise fuck people over. They're challenged with the task of keeping a decade old contest interesting and I applaud the (previously unbeknownst to me) addition of a speedrun round.

If anyone needs assistance with participation they can reach out to me directly and I'll personally see that I do what I can, short of buying someone a copy of Little Samson or other obvious silliness.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'll personally see that I do what I can, short of buying someone a copy of Little Samson or other obvious silliness.

I'd greatly appreciate if you could buy me a NWC gold cart instead of Little Samson. I haven't checked ebay lately, but there used to be one available on there.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Haha 2

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Are you saying you want a picture of a stopped timer present in the picture of the TV screen?  If so, I've got a Hudson Soft Shuwatch that has a timer function, but it's really small.  I guess I won't worry about the logistics of this contest until I wait and see if I even make the finals.  There are only three spots available anyway since the sports genre champ was granted amnesty into the final...

While it would be nice, I will accept a picture of the TV and a separated picture of the timer showing how long you took to do your run.

It is the first time we are doing a speed run, I will be pretty lenient with all this. Picture + picture of the timer will do perfectly fine!

5 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

While it would be nice, I will accept a picture of the TV and a separated picture of the timer showing how long you took to do your run.

It is the first time we are doing a speed run, I will be pretty lenient with all this. Picture + picture of the timer will do perfectly fine!

Cool, then if I make the final I'll just use my shuwatch that I already have, since it has a timer function... 🙂

• Love 1

Events Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Cool, then if I make the final I'll just use my shuwatch that I already have, since it has a timer function... 🙂

Perfect!
This is also a trial run to see how speed run will work on this context. Because if it does work fine, then it opens options like the whole Megaman collection to be used in the contests and that will be awesome!
And fixes amazing games that should be played in the contest again like World Games and Spartan 2.
Scoring is broken? No worries. Let's speed run it!

• Like 4

While I don't know about speed-running World Games, I could definitely see it being a possibility for Spartan X 2.

In the interest of future contests, have you ever tried doing a progress + lowest score run?  That could make something like Contra doable despite the maxing of scores and relative ease of gameplay.  It'd completely change the game if you were trying to get as few points as possible...

Batman is a top 5 game for me, and one of my favorites to watch people play. I watched a lot of Arcus's Twitch grind where he was going for a sub 10.

I can no death it in about 20 minutes or so (Joker fight is the hardest part), but I've never tried to run it.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

The top 5 players that will partake in the grand finals have been announced.
Since we had @Bearcat-Dougdrop for family reasons, and we wish all the best and a speedy recovery for his family member, @NESfiend took the last spot, but give that @the_wizard_666 tied with him in points in a valiant effort at the top 8, we welcome 5 players on this grand finals to prove who is the fastest Batman player in VGS.
And who can break 900,000 points at super easy, super friendly Macross as well!

Events Team · Posted
28 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Hi, I figured an easier, more reliable way to do this. If you can, record video of your Batman run and use that to time it. Just record your TV screen.

This is a grand idea and very helpful should one manage to get a time worth of a top 3 at Speedrun.com at Batman.
Bask in additional GLORY!

8 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

The top 5 players that will partake in the grand finals have been announced.
Since we had @Bearcat-Dougdrop for family reasons, and we wish all the best and a speedy recovery for his family member, @NESfiend took the last spot, but give that @the_wizard_666 tied with him in points in a valiant effort at the top 8, we welcome 5 players on this grand finals to prove who is the fastest Batman player in VGS.
And who can break 900,000 points at super easy, super friendly Macross as well!

It's cool to see that @NESfiend and @the_wizard_666 are both getting an opportunity since I'm not able to participate. Good luck guys!!

On 12/4/2021 at 10:36 AM, BeaIank said:

Since The_wizard_666 tied in points with NESFiend and the whole pool ordeals, I have chosen to allow him to partake in the grandfinals as well. May he put the best effort in this new found chance to greatness in the tournament.

😄 Heh, gifted into Rd 2 and now gifted into the finals... this is like when Gerald Ford became president of the US without ever being elected to anything... Well good luck, Mike 🙂 Though you must know the Vegas odds of you winning are like 40 billion to 1.... 😛

• Haha 1