IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Grand Finals

BeaIank

11 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Okish. I haven't tried to do a lot of full game runs. I've mostly been doing save states practice to make sure I know how to do everything while taking minimal damage. (you can do save states without an emulator using an everdrive. I'm not going to switch to the actual cart until I'm doing the timed runs.) At this point I feel confident I can get to level 4 with a handful of tries. I'm definitely not going for 10 minute pace strats. I'm using all the easiest and consistent strats I can find. 

Yeah, I've got a couple more sections to practice then I'm confident I'll be able to get to joker in one life without too much difficulty... my problem is combining a solid run with a Joker kill... I'm averaging like one joker kill out of every 8 attempts... I just can't get it down 😞

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, I've got a couple more sections to practice then I'm confident I'll be able to get to joker in one life without too much difficulty... my problem is combining a solid run with a Joker kill... I'm averaging like one joker kill out of every 8 attempts... I just can't get it down 😞

Game Genie that shit for practice man...I know that's not how you like to do it, but you're on a schedule here 😛

As for me, I'm consistently getting to the second boss, and only taking around 10 minutes or so.  Making progress at least.

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Never!!! 😛  Plus, the game is way too lenient with checkpoints and continues, so it's just a matter of spending two minutes climbing up 5-1 after every third attempt, and that's good practice in it's own rite...

Well, I'm stuck on level 3 for now, but I did manage to improve on Macross, so there's that...

Still haven't started Macross, but tomorrow I'll be ready to record my full game runs of Batman. I feel confident I'll be able to do a fast-ish no death run eventually. I tried another one at the end of the night and only had one stupid death in 5-1 (didn't time it but it felt around 20 minutes).

And I completed a no death run. Then I tried again and got one 3 minutes faster. That one had no major mistakes but had time to save everywhere. Plus there are probably faster strats I can start using now that I'm more comfortable with the game.

But I should probably also stop procrastinating and start working on Macross. 

How's everyone else doing?

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE

41 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

And I completed a no death run. Then I tried again and got one 3 minutes faster. That one had no major mistakes but had time to save everywhere. Plus there are probably faster strats I can start using now that I'm more comfortable with the game.

My progress is posted already.  Nothing new to report.

49 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I think whoever has the balls to run through those jumping demons on Stage three will win, as that's the only spot in my run that I'm actually at a standstill... but if you've already got that covered then you're ahead of me...

7 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

My progress is posted already.  Nothing new to report.

I'm watching your run now. I use the batarang by default on most enemies. I find it's way easier than punching as it requires less precision and you tend to gain more ammo than you lose. To despawn the spike cars in the upper left of 1-2 you need to jump on the platform a bit further to the right. I wouldn't recommend farming for health on those enemies in 2-2 (but if you do it's probably easier with the batarang). If you can hold out there's a dropper in 2-3 (which I actually didn't know you could destroy, I stun it instead and make a break for it). To jump past the gear wall drop a bit later in 2-3, you have to make sure you aren't pressing a direction on the D-pad to get full air control to avoid the gears. For the level 2 boss you can stand just to the left of the electric pole when hitting the second weak point.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I think whoever has the balls to run through those jumping demons on Stage three will win, as that's the only spot in my run that I'm actually at a standstill... but if you've already got that covered then you're ahead of me...

Lol, definitely not. I still cheese the hell out of those. It's probably where I lose the most time compared to the speedrun.

Have you got a no-death run yet?

28 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Have you got a no-death run yet?

No, but I came very close numerous times tonight, so it's just a matter of time.  I get to the Joker on one life over 50% of the time now, so I've memorized my run... much like you, I'll try and optimize it after I've accomplished the no-death run.  Once I've done that, I'll start taking major chances and hope for health drops and whatnot, see if I can brute-force a fluky run...

Honestly, Stage 3 is the hardest part of the game for me: Stage's 1 & 2 are cake, as are Stage's 4 & 5 - even the Stage 3 boss is the only one I have trouble with outside of the Joker.  I don't have a strategy for him other than button mashing, so if I get there with less than half life, he takes me down.  Whenever I get my no-death through Stage 3, it goes straight to the Joker...

Well, I'm still getting to 3-1, but at least I shaved some time off my run.  Not gonna bother updating though, I know I can do infinitely better, but I do need to find a way to conserve some ammo on the level 2 boss...and to get around the timing of the jumping gorilla dudes as well.  Those beasts are assholes!

@0xDEAFC0DE Yeah, most of those pointers I more or less figured out, but the first gear wall on 2-3 is a great tip...now if only I could pull off the jump properly 😛  Thanks for the tip on 1-2 as well, as I knew you could despawn them, just didn't know exactly where they despawn 😛  The dropper is probably a more reliable method of gaining health than the end of 2-3 where I usually do it, but man, I just can't seem to figure out the best way to do it without getting murdered 😆  This game is pissing me off though...it's like I can do shit right, but I keep fucking up the execution on it.  Like every goddamn time.

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

No, but I came very close numerous times tonight, so it's just a matter of time.  I get to the Joker on one life over 50% of the time now, so I've memorized my run... much like you, I'll try and optimize it after I've accomplished the no-death run.  Once I've done that, I'll start taking major chances and hope for health drops and whatnot, see if I can brute-force a fluky run...

Honestly, Stage 3 is the hardest part of the game for me: Stage's 1 & 2 are cake, as are Stage's 4 & 5 - even the Stage 3 boss is the only one I have trouble with outside of the Joker.  I don't have a strategy for him other than button mashing, so if I get there with less than half life, he takes me down.  Whenever I get my no-death through Stage 3, it goes straight to the Joker...

Huh, interesting. I'm actually not that bad at the joker and the stage 3 boss I have no problems with. Although, I button mash him too and farm the dropper before if I don't have the health. I know how to kill him no damage but it's way too slow. The stage 4 boss is the one I hate as I'm not consistent. 

7 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well, I'm still getting to 3-1, but at least I shaved some time off my run.  Not gonna bother updating though, I know I can do infinitely better, but I do need to find a way to conserve some ammo on the level 2 boss...and to get around the timing of the jumping gorilla dudes as well.  Those beasts are assholes!

@0xDEAFC0DE Yeah, most of those pointers I more or less figured out, but the first gear wall on 2-3 is a great tip...now if only I could pull off the jump properly 😛  Thanks for the tip on 1-2 as well, as I knew you could despawn them, just didn't know exactly where they despawn 😛  The dropper is probably a more reliable method of gaining health than the end of 2-3 where I usually do it, but man, I just can't seem to figure out the best way to do it without getting murdered 😆  This game is pissing me off though...it's like I can do shit right, but I keep fucking up the execution on it.  Like every goddamn time.

My strategy with getting out of the level 2 boss with ammo is just to go into it with nearly full ammo. And yeah the jumping enemies suck. The best way to farm the droppers is to keep just the right distance away that you can still hit them while they are falling. 

4 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I just woke up wondering Is wampson going for four in a row?

Lol, I wouldn't be surprised. 

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm betting on @Dr. Morbis

That's where my money is at, although who knows with Bert.  I'm guessing he's sitting on some great scores, but then, I'm betting Basil is too 😛  It's amusing to me how me and NESfiend are the only scores posted officially (last I checked anyway), and we're likely gonna be #4 and #5 😛

25 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

although who knows with Bert.  I'm guessing he's sitting on some great scores...

That's the issue with a speed run: if you post your time early you are literally putting a target out there for someone else to try and beat.  It's an absolute guarantee that Bert's sitting on a great time as we speak.  I just hope it'll be a video like the rest of us and not just a picture of a timer...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That's the issue with a speed run: if you post your time early you are literally putting a target out there for someone else to try and beat.  It's an absolute guarantee that Bert's sitting on a great time as we speak.  I just hope it'll be a video like the rest of us and not just a picture of a timer...

That’s always the deal with posting any score early on any given week.

Why would it matter if it’s a video or just a picture? Is posting just a picture an acceptable entry?

not only is Bert’s time for Batman gonna be good he probably beat the other game too. That’s the idea I would be playing with anyway if I was in.

Edited by docile tapeworm

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

Why would it matter if it’s a video or just a picture? Is posting just a picture an acceptable entry?

not only is Bert’s time for Batman gonna be good he probably beat the other game too. That’s the idea I would be playing with anyway if I was in.

The difference with a video is your opponents can watch that video and possibly discover better strats that might help them beat you. 

12 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The difference with a video is your opponents can watch that video and possibly discover better strats that might help them beat you. 

Another reason to hold off posting.  Although in fairness, Batman has been done to death online, so I doubt any of us has come up with something better 😛

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

For the competition purposes, the photos should suffice, but a video leaves no room for debate whether or not a run is legit.  Honestly, I may consider doing videos for every submission next year, just cuz I can 😛  I know it's not necessary, but it's kinda fun IMO.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

a video is 100% evidence of your accomplishment; a picture of a timer is a "trust me, I did real good."  If I lose, that's fine, I just don't want to lose to a photo...