IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Grand Finals

BeaIank

I tried doing a full run to test my recording setup (a chair of my coffee table with phone on WiiU gamepad stand with a gamecube memory card case to prop it up at the right angle) and actually did better than expected first go. I finally lost my first life at the level 4 boss (I am not consistent with that one yet). I continued on and then died at the level 5 boss after trying and failing to farm hearts at the top of the previous stage. Beat him with the next life and then game overed to Joker. I'm getting there. Oh, and I game overed at just under 24 minutes (spent forever farming a dropper in level 3 and took level 4 and 5 slow since I'm not as familiar).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't think I've gotten past stage 2 as an adult. I can actually finish Ninja Gaiden III, but it's insanely difficult.

With a little practice, stage 2 boss is actually a pretty reasonable beat. Got through it last night even on pretty short time. 

Then, there are two large beasts at the beginning of level 3 who seem deadset on raping batman. Those things had their way with me very quickly 3 times and I called it a night. @mbd39, Im sure the speed run strats on those  beastswill be too advanced for me. Whats the best/safest approach to those things if time isnt a factor?

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't think I've gotten past stage 2 as an adult. I can actually finish Ninja Gaiden III, but it's insanely difficult.

NG3 is awesome! Batman is pretty good. I’ve no death NG3 I’m gonna try to 1cc this one by the end of the week.

ng3 is more fun imo. Batman controls/gameplay is kinda slow. When I play NG I start running arpund the house saying  “hi ya!” while preforming ninja moves. That games makes you feel like your a ninja.

20 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

With a little practice, stage 2 boss is actually a pretty reasonable beat. Got through it last night even on pretty short time. 

Then, there are two large beasts at the beginning of level 3 who seem deadset on raping batman. Those things had their way with me very quickly 3 times and I called it a night. @mbd39, Im sure the speed run strats on those  beastswill be too advanced for me. Whats the best/safest approach to those things if time isnt a factor?

Dude those mutant jumping things are vicious lol. I figured out a decent strat…take your time… you can figure out on your own and you’ll feel better about it than having the knowledge handed to you….or maybe you won’t 😁 idk lol

10 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Oh shit code is good at a platformer nice!

It's an action game, as are 99% of platformers.  It really shouldn't be a separate genre...

EDIT: And really, it wasn't a separate genre back in the day.  Not sure when the term was coined, but they were either classed as action or action/adventure games for years. 

Edited by the_wizard_666

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

It's an action game, as are 99% of platformers.  It really shouldn't be a separate genre...

EDIT: And really, it wasn't a separate genre back in the day.  Not sure when the term was coined, but they were either classed as action or action/adventure games for years. 

Platformer isn’t even a word

• Like 1

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

Platformer isn’t even a word

True, although neither is "ain't" and yet everyone knows what that means 😛

Some cursory research has shown that the term was coined in the late 80s to describe games like Mario, but it encompassed everything from Contra to Donkey Kong.  Literally anything with platforms to run on and jumping mechanics.  Hence why it shouldn't be a separate genre from "action."  Of course, this is best left to the off-season, as it's just semantics with regard to the competition right now.  Just more of a commentary on why @0xDEAFC0DE is actually good at a "platform" game 😛

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

Save states should be banned 

respect @Dr. Morbis!!!

Save states ARE banned, per the rules, for the competition.  There is, however, no rule against using them for practice, nor should there be.  It's no different than using the modded ROM provided on the speedrun site to skip levels for practice, or using a Game Genie toward the same purpose.  As long as the run itself is done properly, they serve as simply another tool in the box to get better faster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Use boomerangs if they get close. Otherwise use your gun or dirk. You can shoot them from a distance so that they never get the chance to attack.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

True, although neither is "ain't" and yet everyone knows what that means 😛

Some cursory research has shown that the term was coined in the late 80s to describe games like Mario, but it encompassed everything from Contra to Donkey Kong.  Literally anything with platforms to run on and jumping mechanics.  Hence why it shouldn't be a separate genre from "action."  Of course, this is best left to the off-season, as it's just semantics with regard to the competition right now.  Just more of a commentary on why @0xDEAFC0DE is actually good at a "platform" game 😛

I'm a mixed bag when it comes to platformers. Some I'm good at and some I suck at. It probably helps I'm applying myself more than normal given this is the finals. Still, even if I do well at Batman, I'll probably fail miserably at Macross. I haven't even touched it yet.

Save states ARE banned, per the rules, for the competition.  There is, however, no rule against using them for practice, nor should there be.  It's no different than using the modded ROM provided on the speedrun site to skip levels for practice, or using a Game Genie toward the same purpose.  As long as the run itself is done properly, they serve as simply another tool in the box to get better faster.

Yeah. Pretty much all top speedrunners practice using save states. It doesn't make their accomplishments any less valid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I'm a mixed bag when it comes to platformers. Some I'm good at and some I suck at. It probably helps I'm applying myself more than normal given this is the finals. Still, even if I do well at Batman, I'll probably fail miserably at Macross. I haven't even touched it yet.

I suck at shooters and still managed 300K with a minimum of effort.  I'm sure you'll do just fine man.  It's pretty easy as far as shooters go, but it's pretty damn fun regardless.

Save states shouldn’t be allowed at all its a sham and the accomplishment is certainly not as impressive as a pure run using nothing but og hardware.

4 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah. Pretty much all top speedrunners practice using save states. It doesn't make their accomplishments any less valid.

2 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

One can't achieve greatness without hitting the lab, and save states are DARN useful for that.
Would make zero sense to abolish save state practising in a competition.

Weak. I’m not surprised at your opinion though you use code too.

Edited by docile tapeworm

10 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Save states shouldn’t be allowed at all its a sham and the accomplishment is certainly not as impressive as a pure run using nothing but og hardware.

So the fact that I no-deathed TMNT as an adult is a sham because I used a Game Genie on it when I was a kid?  Because that's how you sound right now...

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

Would make zero sense to abolish save state practising in a competition.

Yes, but it would be really helpful to me and morbis who are both tech dinosaurs and dont have access. And skinny hates them too. Democracy matters and the votes are piling up lol

Kidding aside, it doesnt make too much difference in a one life contest. You get plenty of practice on trouble spots using your extra lives and continues after the first death

Edited by NESfiend
  • Haha 1