IGNORED

Crime & Punishment -- USA Edition

A very interesting read --

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/covid-relief-scam-fraud-money-billions-1234784448/

Screenshot-from-2023-07-10-17-31-48.png

In late March 2020, Haywood Talcove, a CEO at LexisNexis Risk Solutions, was packing up his office, having sent his employees home. He was worrying about laying off his staff, his family’s health, and how he was going to manage two young kids at home during the pandemic.

But when President Trump announced an initial $2.2 trillion relief package to bail out the millions of Americans desperate for cash during the national lockdown, his concern turned away from the coronavirus. An expert in cybersecurity, Talcove has worked in both the private and public sectors, and has been raising the alarm about the government’s exposure to scams for many years. And now, it was like all of his prior analysis and warnings about fraud had just become real.

“I’m sending them screenshots of the dark web. I’m explaining exactly how it’s going to go down. And I tell them you are going to have a $200 billion problem on your hands if you do nothing.”

By the government’s own accounting, we potentially dished out some $16.2 billion to folks with “suspicious” emails; $267 million was sent to the identities matching current federal prisoners, some on death row; another nearly $29 billion to people living in multiple states; we even sent out more than $139 million to dead people. California alone accounts for a whopping $20 billion in pandemic unemployment-insurance fraud.

For his part, Talcove estimates the actual losses blow past the tallies being thrown around. “The real number is much higher. I think the government lost a trillion dollars due to fraud in the pandemic,” he says. “One trillion.”

...Talcove agrees — and believes the small-scale damage done by lone-wolf grifters like Danni pale in comparison with organized criminal outfits hitting America with bigger scores. He’s been warning whoever will listen that criminal organizations see Uncle Sam as the biggest mark in the world and that this could all easily happen again — and it in fact has. This year, a Romanian gang allegedly stole more than $38 million from Los Angeles’ poorest citizens by engaging in EBT fraud, using a scheme that worked much like the unemployment scam of the pandemic.

“I’ve got a cynical view on this,” Talcove admits. “I don’t really think politicians give a shit about the people in need because if they really cared, they would do what they need to do.”

21 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Brings a new perspective to the classic mobster command of putting someone on ice.

It had to be a really old unit - in 1956 all refridgerators and freezers had to be openable from the inside due to a lot of children dying in them (usually abandoned ones).  There used to be zoning laws that mandated  doors be removed or chained and locked if they were outside.  It took awhile but such deaths gradually reduced as older units were replaced - although obviously there will always be some lurking about.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Tabonga said:

I was glad to see that they made an arrest in the Long Island serial killings case - what a sad ending for the victims.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gilgo-beach-murders-suspected-long-island-serial-killer-custody-offici-rcna94228

Lives a few blocks from me.  Weird all that stuff went on so close.

• Wow! 1

'My son died for no reason': Indy mother questions bail system after 15-year-old son killed

https://www.yahoo.com/news/son-died-no-reason-indy-142933448.html

Wardell Wright led police on a chase in the stolen vehicle and then on foot. Before he was arrested, Wright ditched a firearm altered with a Glock switch in a dumpster, according to the probable cause affidavit for his arrest. He is facing charges of armed robbery, possession of a machine gun, auto theft, unlawful carrying of a handgun and two counts of resisting law enforcement in his arrest on Jan. 30, court records show.

Marion Superior Court Judge Cynthia Oetjen set a surety bond of $10,000 and a cash bond of $500 after Wright was booked into jail on the charge of possession of a machine gun, which is a Level 5 felony. Wright's original bond was double what would normally be set for a Level 5 felony in Marion Superior Court as the judge determined an enhancement was appropriate.

The next day, police connected Wright to the armed robbery and presented additional information to the prosecutor's office so that enhanced charges could be filed in the case. Prosecutors asked for a bond of $100,000 and wrote Wright posed “a significant risk not only to the victim in this matter, but also to the community as a whole” in a motion for a higher-than-normal bond. Wright had already posted his original bond so a magistrate denied the request from prosecutors for a higher bond. Wright was released from jail the day after his arrest around 7 p.m.

On the day Jeremiah Lewis was killed, he was supposed take his mother’s car four minutes away to work at a thrift shop. Instead, the teenager was lured to the 2000 block of Lohr Drive by a friend from school, Donnetta Lewis said.

Wright and a 14-year-old girl were arrested and charged with murder in Jeremiah Lewis’ death on June 22, according to IMPD.

Our courts are a joke. A $10,000 bond means you basically have to pay $1000 and the cash bond of $500 makes it a whopping $1500. For most any criminal, certainly teenagers included, that's laughable.

• Angry 1

Unfortunately there is a trend to go soft on criminals in a lot of jurisdictions in the country - with seemingly no acknowledgement of the harm they do to everyone else the longer they are repeatedly  freed to do so.  

Our illustrious state attorney general stated this in early 2022:

“After someone commits a third or fourth car theft in, say, three months," Weiser said, "they should be kept in (jail) with a really high bond, because you got a sense they are going to get out they’re going to commit more crimes. ...In Jeffco, that’s what they do.”  - Phil Wieser

Hmmm - what makes the AG think that their third or fourth arrest was their first time at the rodeo - I am guessing that they didn't get caught for every vehicle they stole.  And how many  arrests are acceptable over six months or a year?

They only recently amended the auto theft law in Colorado to make theft of any auto a felony - before that if the value of the vehicle was under $2000 it was a misdemeanor - so thieves targeted those types of vehicles (most stolen vehicles are used in other crimes) - which impacted the poorer segments of the population more greatly since they typically would not have insurance on such autos and likely it was their only vehicle to do things like, say, get to work.  And they would be very much less likely to have the wherewithal laying about to immediately replace the vehicle.

And losing a vehicle is nowhere nearly as bad as losing a life - but the underlying attitude in many jurisdictions is the same no matter the potential for harm to others.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Tabonga said:

"It's certainly more desirable to ask law enforcement for assistance in these kinds of situations and the whole thing is terribly tragic — but potentially, under Texas law, he may have been acting within what the law says he got to do,"

In general, I would not encourage anyone to go after a criminal. BUT, that said, let's face it tracking stolen cars is NOT the number one priority for police - and I don't blame them, they have lots of violent crimes to work. So, I can totally understand why someone might take matters into their own hands. Furthermore, for some people, if their car is stolen, that might destroy their livelihood. Honestly, I can't fault the owner who killed the ARMED and dangerous criminal and I suspect we'll be seeing more such cases in the years to come.

Edited by avatar!
  • Agree 1

"Daddy, what does the word irony mean?"

"Well son, here you go" --

Seattle community members reeling after event meant to curb violence erupts in gunfire

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/community-members-reeling-after-event-meant-curb-gun-violence-erupts-gunfire/ITU4J6266FCJRMOHBR6TJBCXNQ/

Gunfire erupted during a safety event Friday night, aimed to curb violence.

Mustafe was inside the Safeway when the shooting happened, and saw one of the victims lying bleeding inside. That victim was one of five people shot during a Seattle Community Safety Initiative event.

Police still don’t know why the suspect(s) opened fire. They believe there are at least two shooters, but don’t have any suspect information. Seattle’s Chief of Police, Adrian Diaz, said Friday night his officers have recovered more guns this year than any year before they started tracking the information. They began tracking the data, 15 years ago.

Seattle was big into defunding the police -- that plan never fully materialized, but they made their disdain for the police known. Now, they're reaping what they sowed. Mind you, I always believe police need to be held accountable for their actions. However, so many experts said defunding the police and similar movements would backfire, and so they are. So they are. 

29 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Seattle was big into defunding the police -- that plan never fully materialized, but they made their disdain for the police known. Now, they're reaping what they sowed. Mind you, I always believe police need to be held accountable for their actions. However, so many experts said defunding the police and similar movements would backfire, and so they are. So they are. 

Oh yeah, anarchy will work out sooooo much better...🙄

On 7/30/2023 at 5:28 PM, avatar! said:

Despite 'defunding' claims, police funding has increased in many US cities. Of 109 budgets analyzed, 91 agencies have upped police funding by at least 2%.

Jury finds Alyssa Dellamano guilty in 2020 death of Cameron Nohmy: How she reacted

https://www.patriotledger.com/story/news/courts/2023/08/02/alyssa-dellamano-verdict-murder-trial-cameron-nohmy-stabbing-death-supreme-liquors/70515166007/

In a chaotic scene at Dedham Superior Court on Wednesday, a jury convicted Alyssa Dellamano of first-degree murder in the death of Cameron Nohmy. As clerk James McDermott polled each juror, Dellamano sobbed and grew agitated. She shouted toward the jurors’ box as court officers gathered around the defendant’s table where she stood with her lawyer, who had argued that she acted in self-defense when Nohmy was stabbed.

As McDermott continued to poll the jury, Dellamano shouted to the jurors, “You’re (expletive) idiots. Get me out of here.”

Yeah, that will really help your case!

“While the defense argued that Dellamano acted in self-defense, Assistant District Attorney Carolyn Hely made a convincing argument that Cameron Nohmy was unarmed and did not pose a threat when she stabbed him. We thank the jury for their service and believe that they made the right decision based on the facts and the law in this case.”

Apparently, her defense was this - "I think he was going to hurt/kill me" BUT he was unarmed, intoxicated, AND video evidence shows her advancing 14 steps to the victim with a knife in her hand! Oh, and after she stabbed him, she sped away. Enjoy jail... and I hope you "enjoy it" because in MA it's a mandatory life without parole for Murder in the first - which is how it should be!