IGNORED

Crime & Punishment -- USA Edition

13 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

My statements have largely been aimed at a larger group - not just you.   

Yeah this is theoretical discussion for me as well.

14 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

have to reach a point where nothing in someone's past can be an excuse of any sort.

I don't excuse anything. One day 20 years after the crash into your and your neighbor's cars, I was standing in my back yard (which has a privacy fence) talking with my girlfriend and another couple, when I got shot in the neck by a kid fucking around in a nearby playground. Another bullet went through a bedroom window on the second floor. Not a good day.

Why did he have a gun? His fault, his father/older cousin/brother's fault, whatever it is, not all of these are standalone incidents. Things are interconnected. This isn't to excuse. It's for society and authority to look at the larger scenario and learn from it to discover bad circumstances and improve them in pursuit of fewer negative impacts to victims across the board.

IMG_0066.thumb.jpeg.6f51b1d65aa2ce5524af2027594c55ff.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

A big part of the problem (IMHO) is a disintegration of the culture over the last 20-30 years - it had its flaws but there was a core of expected behavior (and expectations)  that most of the populace (but not all - criminals (including a lot of really deprived folks) have been with all societies throughout history) adhered to.

Agreed. Yes, the big picture. So again going forward my questioning always goes to: how do we fix it? 

2 minutes ago, Link said:

Yeah this is theoretical discussion for me as well.

I don't excuse anything. One day 20 years after the crash into your and your neighbor's cars, I was standing in my back yard (which has a privacy fence) talking with my girlfriend and another couple, when I got shot in the neck by a kid fucking around in a nearby playground. Another bullet went through a bedroom window on the second floor. Not a good day.

Why did he have a gun? His fault, his father/older cousin/brother's fault, whatever it is, not all of these are standalone incidents. Things are interconnected. This isn't to excuse. It's for society and authority to look at the larger scenario and learn from it to discover bad circumstances and improve them in pursuit of fewer negative impacts to victims across the board.

IMG_0066.thumb.jpeg.6f51b1d65aa2ce5524af2027594c55ff.jpeg

Agreed. Yes, the big picture. So again going forward my questioning always goes to: how do we fix it? 

Not sure if it can be fixed - especially since we seem to have reached the point where no progress can be made on anything since the body politic is at the point where things are split too evenly (something that modern democratic based societes seem to all wind up in) to effectively accomplish anything with any unity.   

Once seen as a success story for life after prison, he’s now accused of double murder. Again.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-steven-hawthorne-released-slayer-charged-murder-20230430-p5r6bt5sebdtrb4qajobehujsa-story.html

The Wednesday in January 2017 when Steven Hawthorne walked out of Stateville Correctional Center, criminal justice advocates hailed it as an ultimate triumph: He was a free man for the first time in 33 years after being sentenced as a teenager to life in prison for the double murder of an alleged neighborhood bully and a bystander.

Over the next three years, Hawthorne was seen as a successful example of integrating former prisoners into society. He earned a certification for fixing heating and cooling systems. He volunteered at the Bluhm Legal Clinic at Northwestern University, where law students worked to help free him. He was also a big brother figure managing a transitional housing for formerly incarcerated men, a role featured in a Tribune article in 2019.

But over time, cracks began to appear in Hawthorne’s new lease on life. In February 2020, he was arrested for gun possession. In January, he was arrested after police found five firearms, including an AR-15 rifle, during a traffic stop, according to court records.

Now his run-ins with the law have taken a violent turn. Cook County prosecutors accuse Hawthorne — a former shining example of successful inmate reentry into society — of committing a grisly new double homicide of an ex-girlfriend and her new beau.

“Mustafa’s story, until recently, was lifted up as a success story, but then there’s a reality that returning inmates have a lot to deal with,” Yancy said. “This is unimaginable, but it also isn’t the first story that we’ve heard about people who come home from long stretches in prison and just found themselves unable to cope.”

WOW 😮

Cook County prosecutor quits after 20 years

https://cwbchicago.com/2023/05/after-20-years-veteran-cook-county-prosecutor-quits-farewell-email.html

"After 20 years, I always kind of figured an email like this would start with “It is with a heavy heart that I leave…” The truth is, I can’t get out of here fast enough.

The simple fact is that this State and County have set themselves on a course to disaster. And the worst part is that the agency for whom I work has backed literally every policy change that had the predicable, and predicted, outcome of more crime and more people getting hurt.

Bond reform designed to make sure no one stays in jail while their cases are pending with no safety net to handle more criminals on the streets, shorter parole periods, lower sentences for repeat offenders, the malicious and unnecessary prosecution of law enforcement officers, overuse of diversion programs, intentionally not pursuing prosecutions for crimes lawfully on the books after being passed by our legislature and signed by a governor, all of these so-called reforms have had a direct negative impact, with consequences that will last for a generation."

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

This was just a downright stupid crime.  Didn't she realize that someone would notice the charges showing up after the man had died?  Kinda refreshing that they immediately bounced her though.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cop-responded-911-call-florida-175457050.html

Stupid and evil!

“You’ve got to be a pretty cold-hearted person to go to someone’s house where her husband or her loved one has just passed away and going to start taking snap shots of a credit card,” Lopez said. “That’s pretty cold, you know, pretty ruthless.”

21 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Stupid and evil!

“You’ve got to be a pretty cold-hearted person to go to someone’s house where her husband or her loved one has just passed away and going to start taking snap shots of a credit card,” Lopez said. “That’s pretty cold, you know, pretty ruthless.”

It is scraping the bottom of the barrel ethically.

• 3 weeks later...

This crime story was made for this thread:

Deputies accuse man of using Nintendo ‘Duck Hunt’ pistol to rob a business

A man in North Carolina was arrested after being accused of using a pistol-shaped controller from the 1980s Nintendo game “Duck Hunt” to rob a business, according to the York County Sheriff’s Office.

HAVXAKUFKVASDELPLW7GYV6RQY.jpg

https://www.wfsb.com/2023/05/31/deputies-accuse-man-using-nintendo-duck-hunt-pistol-rob-business/

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

146 dogs found dead in Ohio home of president of animal rescue Canine Lifeline, Inc.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/06/20/146-dead-dogs-found-in-ohio-home-of-animal-rescue-canine-lifeline/70338322007/

The Portage Animal Protective League said the agency obtained a warrant to search the home in Mantua Township, Ohio, after getting a tip that an animal-cruelty charge was pending in another jurisdiction against the home's owner. The homeowner [Barbara Wible] is a "founding operator" of Canine Lifeline Inc., according to the Portage Animal Protective League.

Many of the 146 dogs were found confined to their crates. They were "in varying stages of decay," the agency said. Necropsies, which are animal autopsies, will be performed to determine what caused the dogs' deaths.

"After first responders reported to her home in response to this medical emergency, an investigation was triggered that has uncovered overwhelming evidence of ongoing fatal animal neglect in both her current residence in Parma as well as her former home in Mantua," the group said in its Facebook post.

I'm sure the vast majority of people working to help animals are truly good people. As for someone like Barbara Wible... words like "evil" come to mind and if not truly evil, clearly mentally ill.

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, avatar! said:

I'm sure the vast majority of people working to help animals are truly good people. As for someone like Barbara Wible... words like "evil" come to mind and if not truly evil, clearly mentally ill.

I suspect the latter is applicable - she likely started out with very good intentions and couldn't help but take in what she saw as animals in need.  Over a period of time the tasks involved became overwhelming - trying to take care of a large number of animal - just trying to get food would be a tremendous task.  I suspect she basically fell into a weird psychosis she couldn't work her way out of. 

• Like 1

It was an all too active weekend for shootings.  While the article tltle mentions Juneteenth in the headline it is not clear how many of the shootings tie into Juneteenth (at least in location - it would be a stretch to tie any causality to them).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shootings-juneteenth-weekend-dead-injured/

• Sad 1

Boston City Councilor crashed ‘unregistered’ car with ‘revoked license’, according to police report

https://www.boston25news.com/news/local/boston-city-councilor-crashed-unregistered-car-with-revoked-license-according-police-report/4QHXPQKS75BEBIPOB5A3B6MRZQ/

According to a statement released by her office, Councilor Kendra Lara, who represents Jamaica Plain and West Roxbury, and her son Zaire were in a car accident near the Monument in Jamaica Plain.

Boston Police redacted Lara’s name and other details in the report provided to Boston 25.  25 Investigates viewed an unredacted draft version provided by a source

The report said Lara was also driving with a revoked license and the vehicle she was driving was found to be unregistered with no insurance and had an expired inspection sticker.

“It was a scary situation for everyone involved but thankfully Councilor Lara and Zaire are expected to make a full recovery, " a statement said. “She asks for privacy at this time.”

I'm sure she asks for privacy, but she's a public employee, so the hell with her! I just pray she gets fired or loses the next election. Plus, why did the Boston police redact her name? I'm sure if that was you or I there would be no redaction...

jurassic park deal with it GIF

• Disagree 1

I doubt  "ordinary" Boston citizens receive this deferential/preferential treatment.   I bet not - someone needs to ramp up the heat on this one. 

This article lists an account by the other driver - which is very much at odds with the one in the earlier article

https://www.bostonherald.com/2023/07/01/city-councilor-kendra-laras-driving-record-shows-multiple-violations-sanctions/

---------------------------------------------------

"Nothing on the driving record is out of the ordinary, said Attorney Brian Simoneau, an expert on matters before the Registry of Motor Vehicles."

I would like to ask Mr. Simonaeau exactly what type of drivers Boston is infested with.  

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

Social Team · Posted
On 7/1/2023 at 8:17 PM, avatar! said:

Boston City Councilor crashed ‘unregistered’ car with ‘revoked license’, according to police report

https://www.boston25news.com/news/local/boston-city-councilor-crashed-unregistered-car-with-revoked-license-according-police-report/4QHXPQKS75BEBIPOB5A3B6MRZQ/

According to a statement released by her office, Councilor Kendra Lara, who represents Jamaica Plain and West Roxbury, and her son Zaire were in a car accident near the Monument in Jamaica Plain.

Boston Police redacted Lara’s name and other details in the report provided to Boston 25.  25 Investigates viewed an unredacted draft version provided by a source

The report said Lara was also driving with a revoked license and the vehicle she was driving was found to be unregistered with no insurance and had an expired inspection sticker.

“It was a scary situation for everyone involved but thankfully Councilor Lara and Zaire are expected to make a full recovery, " a statement said. “She asks for privacy at this time.”

I'm sure she asks for privacy, but she's a public employee, so the hell with her! I just pray she gets fired or loses the next election. Plus, why did the Boston police redact her name? I'm sure if that was you or I there would be no redaction...

jurassic park deal with it GIF

In Ohio we often redact the whole names as it's not a critical part of the crash reports.  If you know where to look you can get the unredacted one very easily as the report itself is a public document.  I DOUBT this was a special case for her but a general policy to provide privacy if it's not needed.  AKA I would redact phone numbers, e-mail addresses if people want to know what comments we received.  Now if they asked specifically for unredacted documents I would do that, they are technically public documents.  Not that people think too much about what they give to the government when providing feedback (complaints).  But if you specifically ask them if they want anyone to know their name and phone number I think they would say no.  They just wanted the government to know that so they could probably respond back to them or get a hold of them for further information.

Social Team · Posted
23 hours ago, Tabonga said:

WTF???

https://news.yahoo.com/mothers-nannies-attacked-children-school-150501310.html

An urban version of "Children of the Corn"?

Man these reports seem so weird.  I thought Yahoo was reputable but then saw they just reposted/shared a story from The Telegraph (UK).  Never heard of them so look them up, https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-telegraph/ I'll stick with a more factual based reporting new agencies.

4 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Man these reports seem so weird.  I thought Yahoo was reputable but then saw they just reposted/shared a story from The Telegraph (UK).  Never heard of them so look them up, https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-telegraph/ I'll stick with a more factual based reporting new agencies.

The telegraph is politically conservative for sure, but that does not necessarily mean that they are disreputable.

I do appreciate you showing me the media bias website, I know there are a number of such websites and I feel they are important. That said, I question how reliable that site is. They said they gave The Telegraph a "mixed" rating for factual reporting: due to poor sourcing of information and some failed fact checks. (7/19/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 08/17/2022)

What does that even mean? "poor sourcing of information" - and how often? What context? Provide examples. "some failed fact checks" - again, explain in actual details and provide examples! Did they say that some celebrity was 25 when she's really 35 or did they say that President Biden plans to annex Mexico?? While I believe it's very important for people to constantly search for misinformation and call it out when appropriate, I can't just trust a website which simply expects you to believe something without providing context.

As for me, I do often read the Huffington Post, and they are clearly liberal for sure. Your site also labeled them as "mixed" --

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/huffington-post/

They said We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to failed fact checks and the promotion of pseudoscience. (5/13/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 03/23/2022)

Here, they did provide context -

Screenshot-from-2023-07-05-19-58-37.png

Okay, so Queen Elizabeth did not wear a brooch given to her by President Obama when she met President Donald Trump - but, is that a big fumble? Again, it was apparently incorrect, but quite honestly it's not something I think impacts a newspaper's reputation as a whole. The second article is from 2015 and after reading the article it wasn't exactly clear how "incorrect" they were. Perhaps misleading might be a better fit. The last one is more serious in my mind, but if you follow the link it says HuffPost later corrected the article. Point is, you expect every single newspaper to make mistakes now and then, and there were ZERO examples of what The Telegraph has done to give it a "mixed" rating and only three examples of what The Huffington Post has done, and frankly it seems like a minor issue at best.

• Agree 1

Maybe the fact checkers need to be fact checked.  What was once something quite trusted just isn't so much anymore.  Some of them just have been caught slipping or finding petty stuff to call fails or just saying stuff that's really just not relevant at all.  I saw this year or last a space called ground news popped up, they check the news, put it up, but then also grade each piece based on now how many sites cover it and then rate the story on the political spectrum.  It gets quite interesting seeing which places cover it all, cover some, or lean into the weeds and ignore or damn stuff just because of feelings?

• Like 1