IGNORED

Crime & Punishment -- USA Edition

City destroys homeowner’s property, threatens $7,500 fine even though no laws were broken

https://www.yahoo.com/news/family-threatened-7-500-daily-153000293.html

Armed with weed whackers, a city crew in Burlington, Ontario, arrived unannounced at the Barnes family home earlier this summer to see justice done, the Toronto Star reports. This happened after the city threatened the Barnes family with daily fines of $10,000 Canadian (about $7,500 USD) for “bylaw violations.” The city “razed” the Barnes’ yard instead.

The alleged infeactions? Growing a “butterfly paradise” of native plants without keeping vegetation under 20 centimeters (roughly 8 inches) tall, among other infractions that the family disputes. 

The consultant, who assessed the yard and found it “deliberately planted,” told the Star that the city’s supervisor of bylaws instead called it “unkempt” and “referred repeatedly to the ‘weeds’ present” but couldn’t say which plants were weeds, noting he was “not a weed expert.”

The Barnes family, who will challenge the city’s actions in court, was trying to maintain a space for pollinators, like bees and butterflies, with plants such as “goldenrod, coneflower, wood poppy, purple asters, and milkweed.”

I'm sure the citizens of Burlington are now sleeping better knowing that someone's garden is back to under 20 cm in height 👾

46 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I would say unbelievable, but all too believable! I honestly think this is a good PSA for folk, I actually had not heard about this until you mentioned it --

6 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I would say unbelievable, but all too believable! I honestly think this is a good PSA for folk, I actually had not heard about this until you mentioned it --

I think I will start a thread for reporting such things so people know about them.  They seem to crop up like breeding rabbits.

• Like 1

Ho-hum, just another excuse for people to pillage and loot...

Philadelphia looting: Dozens arrested, including juveniles, after stores ransacked across the city

The looting comes on the same day a Philadelphia judge dismissed charges against former police officer Mark Dial in the shooting death of 27-year-old Eddie Irizarry. Stanford, however, said the looting and unrest has nothing to do with a peaceful protest to rebuke the controversial decision.

https://www.fox29.com/news/philadelphia-looting-dozens-arrested-including-juveniles-after-stores-ransacked-across-the-city

Stanford estimated that the crowd of unruly crowd of looters in Center City grew to as many as 100 people. As of Wednesday afternoon, police say at least 52 people have been arrested, including three juveniles, in connection to the looting. Two firearms were also recovered during the arrests. 

Philadelphia police say they are also investigating an incident out of Northeast Philadelphia where seven cars were stolen off a lot on Tuesday night. At least one of those vehicles has already been recovered. 

Police are investigating the possibility that there was a "caravan" of vehicles going from location-to-location to loot retail stores around the city. Some of the people believe to be involved in that suspected caravan have been arrested, Stanford said.

Edited by avatar!

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

I read that, very sobering. A local shopowner said

“We’ve had drugstores closing here, too, because of shoplifting. What if other stores leave? I can feel it. People here are worried about crime getting worse, from shoplifting to more violent crime. As a community, we cannot allow this to continue.”

When criminals have no repercussions, why would they ever stop stealing?

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I read that, very sobering. A local shopowner said

“We’ve had drugstores closing here, too, because of shoplifting. What if other stores leave? I can feel it. People here are worried about crime getting worse, from shoplifting to more violent crime. As a community, we cannot allow this to continue.”

When criminals have no repercussions, why would they ever stop stealing?

Not wanting to do anything effective towards curbing such things is really a mindset that eludes me.  Sooner or later that will likely catch up to almost everyone.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

The abject failure of our criminal system just keeps going...

2 Teens Arrested After Allegedly Firing 100 Rounds Into Wrong Home, Killing Woman

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/novita-brazil-texas-shooting_n_6543c23ee4b06bc01e234f9d

Two Texas teenagers were arrested this week over the death of a 25-year-old woman after the pair allegedly fired more than 100 rounds into her home, mistaking it for that of a rival gang member.

Authorities said the teens, who were 16 and 14 at the time of the shooting, had driven by Brazil’s residence in a stolen vehicle and fired dozens of rounds, believing that the people inside were members of an opposing gang who had previously shot at them.

They then allegedly fled in the vehicle and dumped out several firearms, including an assault-style rifle. The two were soon taken into custody and later released on bail.

The sheriff said the video showed him to be an “extremely cocky, very confident young man, confident that he’s going to take full advantage of the legal system.”

The 15-year-old was also taken into custody Tuesday and had similarly livestreamed his own capture.

The teens’ family members are likely to face charges related to harboring suspects and lying to authorities about their location, Salazar said.

I truly hope both teens will be charged as adults, although currently the younger one is charged as a juvenile. That may change after public outcry, but no necessarily. That said, they're so cocky because, and especially if they're charged as a juvenile, almost nothing will happen to them. The 17 year old may be in for a very rude surprise if fully convicted. But that said, second degree felony murder in Texas is between 2 and 20 years in jail. Jail time largely depends on what the teen is charged with, no doubt his liars will try to play everything down. 

Also, this is bullshite --

Authorities did not name the 15-year-old because he is charged as a juvenile. The 17-year-old is being charged as an adult; HuffPost is not naming him because he is a minor.

We need to start naming this pieces of pure shite! The argument "it can ruin their life" is such victim blaming!

• 2 weeks later...

Florida teens break into house, steal electric shock chewing gum toy, deputies say: 'Things just happened'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-teens-break-house-steal-165059112.html

Jeremiah Smith, 18, and a 17-year-old suspect were arrested and charged with residential burglary, petit theft and criminal mischief

Live and learn. I hope these two learn from their mistakes and become productive members of society. Myself, I learned there is exists a product called "electric shock chewing gum" 👍

electric shock GIF