IGNORED

Crime & Punishment -- USA Edition

3 hours ago, avatar! said:

Also this -

Right now, the severity of the sentence for stealing a car depends on how nice it is.

https://www.cpr.org/2022/10/24/colorado-auto-thefts-sentencing/

...generally, stealing a car worth $2,000 or less today is a misdemeanor...Colorado’s auto thefts jumped in just a couple of years, from 22,395 reported thefts in 2019 to 42,094 in 2021

Just unbelievable. I don't know who's responsible for such idiocy, but hopefully whoever was responsible was kicked out of office during the midterms.

That law really impacts people on the lower strata of the economy who depend on (usually one at best per driver) a not very good vehicle to get to work and to do the basic functions of life.  They likely don't have much in the way of insurance and if their vehicle gets stolen they are just out of luck since they likely don't have the wherewithal to immediately replace it.  Which means they also may lose whatever employment they have.

Since most vehicles stolen in Colorado are taken to use in other crimes the thieves tend to now focus on low end vehicles since the penalties are so pathetic.

The donkeys have been firmly  in control of the state government for quite awhile so the blame for this stuff lies squarely with them - the elephants are pretty much a clown show and they actually lost ground in the last elections.

I expect Brawndo to become the official state drink any day now.

296190425_download(75).jpeg.e3d5bb75b1d8c8c7901cbbfb2ce23db3.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, avatar! said:

What. The. FUCK!

I want to know why charges were dropped?? Whoever is responsible for dropping the charges is implicit in murder and aggravated assault. Record is sealed - this is some serious bullshite by authorities to try and cover their asses. God, I'm angry 😠

I totally get and agree with how you're feeling 100%.  However, chances are that something happened behind the scenes that would have automatically allowed the guy to win in court (cops entering his house/vehicle without probable cause or warrant, not reading him his Miranda rights, unnecessarily beating on the guy while he was in custody, etc.), then sealed the record to keep themselves from looking like fools.  If such was the case, I totally agree with them dropping the charges, as that's how our system works, and it fundamentally weakens what our prosecutors are able to accomplish every time they lose a case--and losing it because of stupid, obvious mistakes and illegal practices just magnifies that effect.

I absolutely disagree with sealing the record, though, as that just stinks of a cover up of some kind.  Had anything been in there that the public truly shouldn't have known about, like classified/top secret information being part of the proceedings, that should have been stated versus some blanket gag order about the whole thing, which comes off as being just as suspicious as the defendant.

• Like 1

Man who killed Kevin Bacon, 25, ate his testicles, charged with 1st-degree murder

https://wgxa.tv/news/nation-world/man-who-killed-kevin-bacon-25-ate-his-testicles-charged-with-1st-degree-murder-not-the-actor-mark-latunski-cannibalism-jeffrey-dahmer-dating-app-slit-throat-violence

It's one of those nightmarish crimes you think only happens in bad horror films...

ps It's not "the famous" Bacon.

Social Team · Posted
On 12/7/2022 at 1:32 AM, avatar! said:

Colorado gay club shooting suspect charged with hate crimes

https://apnews.com/article/crime-shootings-colorado-hate-crimes-springs-b9be567920a55986c57af59535ac9f61

The shooting came more than a year after Aldrich was arrested following a standoff with SWAT teams after authorities say Aldrich threatened to stockpile guns, ammo and body armor to become the “next mass killer.”

***But charges were dropped, the record is sealed and prosecutors say they can’t legally talk about what happened.

What. The. FUCK!

I want to know why charges were dropped?? Whoever is responsible for dropping the charges is implicit in murder and aggravated assault. Record is sealed - this is some serious bullshite by authorities to try and cover their asses. God, I'm angry 😠

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say him getting off had a lot to do with his grandfather being a state senator. 

https://www.newsweek.com/who-randy-voepel-colorado-suspect-grandfather-maga-republican-1761003 

46 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say him getting off had a lot to do with his grandfather being a state senator. 

hhttps://www.newsweek.com/who-randy-voepel-colorado-suspect-grandfather-maga-trepublican-1761003 

After the records were unsealed the DA was able to talk about it.  He maintained that the various family members refused to co-operate with his office - which in his opinion made the case likely to be unwinnable.  Sealing a case like that is fairly routine.

I doubt if the grandfather being a Californiia figure would have anything to do with it - he wouldn't have any   influence in Colorado - the Colorado Republicans themselves have virtually no influence in Colorado politics. 

On 12/17/2022 at 10:01 PM, Tabonga said:

After the records were unsealed the DA was able to talk about it.  He maintained that the various family members refused to co-operate with his office - which in his opinion made the case likely to be unwinnable.  Sealing a case like that is fairly routine.

I doubt if the grandfather being a Californiia figure would have anything to do with it - he wouldn't have any   influence in Colorado - the Colorado Republicans themselves have virtually no influence in Colorado politics. 

Thanks for the clarification. I suspect that although criminal charges can not be charged, the family which refused to cooperate with authorities will, and I sincerely  hope so, be sued into oblivion.

California woman convicted of murdering stepfather after she found nude photos of herself on his computer

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-woman-convicted-murdering-stepfather-found-nude-photos-comp-rcna62942

https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2022/12/16/solana-beach-woman-39-accused-of-killing-stepfather-testifies-in-murder-trial/

A California interior designer was convicted of first-degree murder Wednesday after prosecutors said she killed her butterfly conservationist stepfather when she found nude photos of herself on his computer.

As the San Diego County jury read its verdict against Jade Sasha Janks, the 39-year-old Solana Beach resident's eyes widened and she appeared to be in stunned disbelief as she turned toward her defense lawyer.

I'm always amused when criminals are "stunned" after being found guilty! At first, I thought to myself "woah! did he abuse her? what the heck happened?" However, the supposed "nude photos" were never verified since the murderer claimed she destroyed the computer! Secondly, the nude photos in question were taken consensually by her ex-boyfriend. Thirdly, there is a MOUNTAIN of evidence showing premeditated murder. She tried to hire people to kill him, and instead of helping her at least one called the police on her! I don't know where her arrogance comes from, but she's going to rot in jail where she belongs.

Boston man, traveling with child, faces charges after bringing loaded gun through airport security

https://www.boston25news.com/news/local/boston-man-traveling-with-child-faces-charges-after-bringing-loaded-gun-through-airport-security/ARS473RTMNCXFHZJLID37NKQ7Y/

Lorenzo Beechman, 36, was traveling with a child Wednesday when he placed a loaded gun inside a shoebox covered by a brown paper bag and attempted to get it through security.

According to police, Beechman has prior convictions involving firearms and armed and masked robbery. He has open cases involving resisting arrest, assault, and battery on a police officer, breaking and entering and larceny from a building.

Yet, despite the long list, he was free to hurt others. That's our "justice system" for you 🤮

On 12/30/2022 at 1:21 PM, avatar! said:

Boston man, traveling with child, faces charges after bringing loaded gun through airport security

https://www.boston25news.com/news/local/boston-man-traveling-with-child-faces-charges-after-bringing-loaded-gun-through-airport-security/ARS473RTMNCXFHZJLID37NKQ7Y/

Lorenzo Beechman, 36, was traveling with a child Wednesday when he placed a loaded gun inside a shoebox covered by a brown paper bag and attempted to get it through security.

According to police, Beechman has prior convictions involving firearms and armed and masked robbery. He has open cases involving resisting arrest, assault, and battery on a police officer, breaking and entering and larceny from a building.

Yet, despite the long list, he was free to hurt others. That's our "justice system" for you 🤮

On a related note:

https://www.khou.com/article/news/national/tsa-peanut-butter-gun/285-7e01d52d-f13f-4263-9f52-65560fc49f27

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

The surgical-training companies and other firms which bought the arms, legs, heads and torsos from Hess did not know they had been fraudulently obtained, prosecutors said.

Oh, to see an itemized list of all the buyers, body parts, prices and the specific intended uses for each part.  

Buyer: So, how'd you come by these arms, legs, heads and torsos?

Seller: Well, most of 'em were donated for science or whatever and I just found the rest of 'em.

Buyer: Uh huh.  Any particular reason you're lookin' to get rid of 'em?

Seller: Oh, I'm tired of doin' most of that Sciencey stuff myself, plus I'd really like to get these in a different color.  These are so pallid.  I'm looking for more of an ashen grey.

Buyer: Mm hmm..., Mm hm.  Hey these wouldn't happen to be desecrated corpses of somebody's love ones that were supposed to get a proper burial or cremation are they?

Seller: No, don't be silly.

Buyer: Cool.  Cool.   .... ...(approaches a torso, kicks it lightly a few times.)  Would you be interested in a trade?

Seller: No.

Buyer: Are you sure?  I've got some really great vintage baseball cards, some rare CDs too?

Seller: No, sorry.  Cash only.

Buyer: Hmm, all right.  I guess I can do cash.  You want it in a duffel bag or a briefcase?

Seller: Either is fine.

Buyer: You're sure you didn't get any of this illegally?

Seller: Yeah fa shiz.  It's all above the table I swear.  Look, if yer not interested there was this chick who called earlier.  I told her she could have 'em if you didn't take 'em.  You know that one chick in that movie with Bruce willis?  Yeah her, she wants 'em too.

Buyer: No, no; you don't have to do that.  According to the law I have to ask twice that's all.  So we have a deal?

Seller: Deal.

Buyer: You wanna help me load 'em up?

Seller: I have a bad back.

Buyer: C'mon, It'll only take a minute.

Seller: My arms are real tired from cuttin' this stuff up.  Look if you can't handle it-

Buyer: S'ok, loud 'n' clear, good buddy.  (holds out hand)

(They Shake) So, what're you doin' after this?

Seller: Nothin'.

Buyer: You wanna get somethin' to eat?

Seller: Whad you have in mind?

Buyer: Spaghetti and Meatballs... with extra sauce.

Seller: Cool.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Stupidity keeps going and going and going...

Police: Woman arrested for trying to bring loaded gun into Boston courthouse

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-woman-arrested-trying-bring-224941872.html

Octavia Kelly, 22, of Mattapan, was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number and unlawful possession of ammunition.

Officials say she had come to the courthouse to support her boyfriend, 33-year-old Wendell Morris, who was being arraigned on gun charges.

When questioned about the weapon in her possession, Kelly said, “I don’t know anything about the gun in my bag.”

Sorry Season 2 GIF by The Lonely Island

2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Stupidity keeps going and going and going...

Police: Woman arrested for trying to bring loaded gun into Boston courthouse

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-woman-arrested-trying-bring-224941872.html

Octavia Kelly, 22, of Mattapan, was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number and unlawful possession of ammunition.

Officials say she had come to the courthouse to support her boyfriend, 33-year-old Wendell Morris, who was being arraigned on gun charges.

When questioned about the weapon in her possession, Kelly said, “I don’t know anything about the gun in my bag.”

Sorry Season 2 GIF by The Lonely Island

• Like 1

Holy F-in Schnat...

6-Year-Old Shoots Teacher at Virginia Elementary School, Police Say

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/06/us/newport-news-school-shooting-virginia.html

A 6-year-old student at an elementary school in Newport News, Va., shot a teacher on Friday afternoon during an altercation in a classroom, the authorities said, leaving her with “life-threatening” injuries and renewing calls for greater gun restrictions.

Dr. Parker said that while district schools have “metal detection capability,” the schools do not make children walk through a metal detector every day.

I trust and hope they are examining the parents/guardians. I'm willing to bet the 6-year old... unbelievable... the 6-year old got the gun from his parents/guardians and they should be held both criminally and civilly responsible.

edit: By "criminally" I'm not saying they should face murder charges, but assuming the gun came from their household, and let's face it, that is almost certainly the case, they are responsible.

Edited by avatar!

Anti-violence worker found in Chicago home naked with gun, suspected narcotics and $50K cash: prosecutors

https://www.yahoo.com/news/anti-violence-worker-found-chicago-210936285.html

Police in Chicago executing a search warrant in Humboldt Park reportedly found a full-time violence interrupter naked under a bed with $50,000 cash on the floor, suspected narcotics and a loaded gun on the kitchen windowsill.

Jerel Taylor, 30, has been charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, possession of heroin and possession of a controlled substance. A judge ordered him to pay $500 in bail to be released from jail.

A woman seated on the bed told officers there was no one else in the room, but the police reportedly saw Taylor's feet sticking out from under the bed and "removed him," according to prosecutors.

At this point, about the only question I have is whether he was allowed to post bail using funds from the $50,000 in cash 🙃

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Anti-violence worker found in Chicago home naked with gun, suspected narcotics and $50K cash: prosecutors

https://www.yahoo.com/news/anti-violence-worker-found-chicago-210936285.html

Police in Chicago executing a search warrant in Humboldt Park reportedly found a full-time violence interrupter naked under a bed with $50,000 cash on the floor, suspected narcotics and a loaded gun on the kitchen windowsill.

Jerel Taylor, 30, has been charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, possession of heroin and possession of a controlled substance. A judge ordered him to pay $500 in bail to be released from jail.

A woman seated on the bed told officers there was no one else in the room, but the police reportedly saw Taylor's feet sticking out from under the bed and "removed him," according to prosecutors.

At this point, about the only question I have is whether he was allowed to post bail using funds from the $50,000 in cash 🙃

If only he had kept his feet under the bed..........

• Agree 1

This is just sad - I went to the mailbox  I usually use this morning to mail off a couple of bills and it was covered in crime scene type tape.   I assume someone either broke into it or tried to do so.   It is my understanding that that sort of crime is rising and is yet another plague on the law abiding citizens.  (A corrolated crime is robbing postal carriers of their keys for those mailboxes.)  

Edited by Tabonga
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is just strange:

https://news.yahoo.com/dallas-zoo-monkeys-missing-police-investigation-strange-incidents-183447283.html

I can't even begin to guess on the motivation here.  Certainly not an animal rights activist of some sort.  Glad they got the monkeys back but it is sad about the vulture,

31 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

This is just strange:

https://news.yahoo.com/dallas-zoo-monkeys-missing-police-investigation-strange-incidents-183447283.html

I can't even begin to guess on the motivation here.  Certainly not an animal rights activist of some sort.  Glad they got the monkeys back but it is sad about the vulture,

Terrible... people that abuse animals are not the type that can be safely rehabilitated into society. They are however, good as manure.