IGNORED

Crime & Punishment -- USA Edition

Suspect in Texas Walmart massacre that left 23 dead in El Paso pleads guilty to 90 federal charges

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/08/us/el-paso-shooting-suspect-patrick-crusius-federal-plea/index.html

After federal prosecutors stated last month they would not seek the death penalty, attorneys for Crusius filed a motion for a re-arraignment and indicated he would change his plea.

I don't understand why they are not seeking the death penalty? This worthless excuse for a life form needs to be removed from existence. No way he would ever reform. Instead, he's going to spend his life in jail. Taxpayers are going to keep him fed, housed, medical attention... things that he does not deserve.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Suspect in Texas Walmart massacre that left 23 dead in El Paso pleads guilty to 90 federal charges

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/08/us/el-paso-shooting-suspect-patrick-crusius-federal-plea/index.html

After federal prosecutors stated last month they would not seek the death penalty, attorneys for Crusius filed a motion for a re-arraignment and indicated he would change his plea.

I don't understand why they are not seeking the death penalty? This worthless excuse for a life form needs to be removed from existence. No way he would ever reform. Instead, he's going to spend his life in jail. Taxpayers are going to keep him fed, housed, medical attention... things that he does not deserve.

Even under the best of circumstances it takes a very long time for a criminal to actually meet his/her fate in cases of capital punishment.. And a lengthy well publicized  trial brings a lot of tumult into the lives of survivors and relatives of the victims.

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

Even under the best of circumstances it takes a very long time for a criminal to actually meet his/her fate in cases of capital punishment.. And a lengthy well publicized  trial brings a lot of tumult into the lives of survivors and relatives of the victims.

That's a very valid point. I still wish he would have faced execution, but you certainly make great points 🙂

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Tabonga said:

This is certainly a strange event even in a world that seems to be full of weirdness.

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/12-year-old-shooting-stolen-car-legal-case/

"This is exactly why we don't want civilians approaching car thieves in cases like this because something terrible can happen." said Chohan.

In general, I agree. BUT, what if it's a very valuable car or the car is vital to a person's livelihood. What then? Wait for the police? What are the police going to do -- probably nothing, they have way too much on their hands as is.

Most violent and property crimes in the U.S. go unsolved

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/03/01/most-violent-and-property-crimes-in-the-u-s-go-unsolved/

"It can get very complicated. It's really going to depend on how did the car owner approach? What was said, what did the car thieves know to happen? Who pulled their guns first and fired shots first? That's going to go a long way towards determining whether self-defense is in play here," explained Chohan.

With the crazy crime that has been happening across our country, I'm not surprised more and more people are defending themselves. To me, it seems like the shooters that ran off are the ones that should be charged with murder. AND, a 12-year old stealing cars?? I, just don't understand...

2nd Amendment steps in after cops step back in wake of defund movement in Chicago

https://www.yahoo.com/news/2nd-amendment-steps-cops-step-120005019.html

Legally armed citizens are taking matters into their own hands, thwarting attacks and other crimes. "It's the reason why you've seen the increase in gun sales," said John Lott, president and founder of the Crime Prevention Research Center. "Because people realize that the police and law enforcement broadly isn't being allowed — the criminal justice system isn't being allowed — to go and do its job.

In Chicago, the mayor pledged in 2020 to cut $80 million from her city's police budget. Over the summer last year, officers admitted to pulling back from carrying out the rule of law. They cited among their reasons growing hesitation of interacting with "criminals with guns" due to prosecutors having a tighter grip on approving felony charges against criminals.

Arrests were only made in 12% of crime cases in 2021 in Chicago, which is the lowest rate since 2001, the Sun-Times found last year. The number of investigative stops also fell by more than 50% between 2019 and 2021... "The problem is, is that the people who are most likely victims of violent crime are poor Blacks who live in high-crime parts of Chicago and other places," Lott added. "And yet, you make them have to pay over $400 to get the permit, get … the state-required training that they have. We're not even talking about the cost of the gun or anything else. That's a real cost."

Sad, I used to love Chicago. It was always a "big city" with problems like any large metropolitan area. But, I never truly felt unsafe. Now, no way!

Teen volleyball star loses legs in a crash caused by a man with multiple bond violations, police say

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teen-volleyball-star-loses-legs-205348121.html

This is fucking infuriating 😠

Read the story... or don't. It's yet another one of those instances where prosecutors refusing to take responsibility and refusing to seek justice. Ultimately, innocent people get incredibly hurt (or dead) and even then, the prosecutor's office is not taking responsibility. Just shit people in charge.

Daniel Riley, 21, was arrested on charges of second-degree assault and operating a vehicle without a valid license, among other charges...Riley had been on house arrest with a GPS bracelet since July, when he was to have gone on trial for an armed robbery that occurred in August 2020. The trial was postponed because the St. Louis City Circuit Attorney’s Office was not ready to proceed.

Riley violated the conditions of his monitoring more than 40 times since July 18, most recently five days before the crash, KSDK reported. The circuit attorney’s office did not file a motion with the court to revoke Riley’s bond after those violations

Democratic Mayor Tishaura Jones also criticized the circuit attorney’s office in a statement, saying she is in touch with both its office and the court “to review the processes that led up to this preventable tragedy.”

Her father, a military veteran, said... “What he has done to us and my daughter is unchangeable,” he said, adding, “We have to tell her, ‘Your legs are gone.’”

4 hours ago, avatar! said:

This is just atrocious -- and apparently they (so far) have not named the student because they are 17 years old. I say name the POS!! Then lock him up on attempted murder charges. He did this to a teacher, imagine what he would do to you...

He is being charged as an adult and has a $1 million bail set.  If they follow through with the charges he could wind up in the crossbar hotel for 30 years.  I doubt he will be getting out on bail unless it is greatly reduced.  

https://news.yahoo.com/matanzas-student-accused-attacking-teachers-173232903.html

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

For that he deserves no reasonable bail to get out.  Dude maybe 17 but is built like a NFL linebacker 6'6" and 270lbs taking down an average build 30s?40s? school teacher female from behind...real brave.  And he's like FU cops I don't want to go to jail I have more important things to do??  What's that?  Anal expansion, going to need it in that jail cell.

He can rot...public schools are out of control these days being so whipped, so well you know what I'm thinking this crap has become fairly normalized.  Something huge needs to change on the discipline level, how they teach, what they're allowed to teach because right now it's a free for all.

• Like 2

Joan Naydich, the innocent woman this POS (identified as Brendan J. Depa ) tried to kill is 57 years old. He apparently hit her 15 times while she was unconscious.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11792421/PICTURED-Teachers-aide-57-brutally-beaten-66-teen-student-humble-mom-two.html

Moments later he told officers: 'F**k you, I don't want to go to jail. I have more important things to do,' before accusing them of manhandling him. 

After the attack, Mental Health Advocate, Sue Urban said: "This is not this child's fault. He is not a threat,"..."Please stop labeling this child as a monster. Yes, his size is a big factor, [but] he did not know he was doing wrong."

Don't get confused, anyone can call themselves a "mental health advocate" - I consider myself one. However, I don't consider myself a dumbass (well, not usually).  It's easy to be a Sue Urban and say "oh dear! he needs help! Can't you see it!" but real health professionals know that some people such as sociopaths are beyond "helping" and the only thing that can be done is having them locked up to keep the public safe. The vast majority of the time, people with true mental health issues are likely to hurt themselves - not try to murder others. Depa the Shit knew exactly what he was doing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, avatar! said:

Joan Naydich, the innocent woman this POS (identified as Brendan J. Depa ) tried to kill is 57 years old. He apparently hit her 15 times while she was unconscious.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11792421/PICTURED-Teachers-aide-57-brutally-beaten-66-teen-student-humble-mom-two.html

Moments later he told officers: 'F**k you, I don't want to go to jail. I have more important things to do,' before accusing them of manhandling him. 

After the attack, Mental Health Advocate, Sue Urban said: "This is not this child's fault. He is not a threat,"..."Please stop labeling this child as a monster. Yes, his size is a big factor, [but] he did not know he was doing wrong."

Don't get confused, anyone can call themselves a "mental health advocate" - I consider myself one. However, I don't consider myself a dumbass (well, not usually).  It's easy to be a Sue Urban and say "oh dear! he needs help! Can't you see it!" but real health professionals know that some people such as sociopaths are beyond "helping" and the only thing that can be done is having them locked up to keep the public safe. The vast majority of the time, people with true mental health issues are likely to hurt themselves - not try to murder others. Depa the Shit knew exactly what he was doing.

I guess they forgot to report the part of Urban's tantrum where she showed great concern for the real victim of the episode.  I am sure that such a kind compassionate human being would have done that.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Wow... and it's not "hey, we got robbed!" it's "oh hey, we just got robbed, again" 👾

The local politicos are reacting pretty much as expected - screw the rest of the city, screw businesses  - but you need to protect my district.....  

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/san-francisco-supervisor-hillary-ronen-begs-more-police-district-voting-defund-2020

• Agree 1

On 2/9/2023 at 7:16 PM, avatar! said:

AND, a 12-year old stealing cars?? I, just don't understand...

I think that we have pressures in more directions than ever nowadays and that especially goes to children. We've got 12 year old carjackers and 12 year old prodigies. 3 year olds that dance ridiculously well, and suicidal 8 year olds. Some children are immeasurably more sophisticated and others are immeasurably more distressed, than our generation could ever have imagined. Like the "crime by teens" you mentioned in another post, which I would say sophistication and distress both play parts. 

Illinois carjacker sentenced to 22 years after bragging he'd 'be out by Sunday'

https://wgntv.com/news/southwest-suburbs/harvey-man-sentenced-in-will-county-after-high-speed-chase-from-cook-county/

28-year-old Jordan Henry will spend at least a decade behind bars after being sentenced by a Will County judge related to a car theft and high-speed chase which began in Cook County.

"Henry has an extensive record of criminal convictions, including two prior Cook County felony convictions — Class 2 Robbery, a forcible felony, and Class 3 Retail Theft — and multiple misdemeanor convictions including but not limited to Battery, Criminal Damage to Property, Theft, Obstructing Identification, and Criminal Trespass to Land ...

“I think it’s important this case be highlighted since it did occur in the City of Chicago, if he were arrested there, looking at his past history, he probably would have been back out on the street in a short period of time, just like he bragged,” Glasglow said. “But not this time. Justice was done.”

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Illinois carjacker sentenced to 22 years after bragging he'd 'be out by Sunday'

https://wgntv.com/news/southwest-suburbs/harvey-man-sentenced-in-will-county-after-high-speed-chase-from-cook-county/

28-year-old Jordan Henry will spend at least a decade behind bars after being sentenced by a Will County judge related to a car theft and high-speed chase which began in Cook County.

"Henry has an extensive record of criminal convictions, including two prior Cook County felony convictions — Class 2 Robbery, a forcible felony, and Class 3 Retail Theft — and multiple misdemeanor convictions including but not limited to Battery, Criminal Damage to Property, Theft, Obstructing Identification, and Criminal Trespass to Land ...

“I think it’s important this case be highlighted since it did occur in the City of Chicago, if he were arrested there, looking at his past history, he probably would have been back out on the street in a short period of time, just like he bragged,” Glasglow said. “But not this time. Justice was done.”

I wonder if he collects frequent flier miles........

• Haha 1

Uvalde cops admit they were too scared of school shooter’s AR-15 ‘battle rifle’

https://nypost.com/2023/03/21/uvalde-cops-were-too-scared-of-shooters-battle-rifle-ar-15/

While mass-shooter training tells officers to risk their lives to immediately try to end the carnage, officers repeatedly admitted they feared being overpowered by the weapon, according to the investigation, which also cited previously unpublished interviews with investigators.

Had anybody gone through that door, he would have killed whoever it was,” Martinez said, justifying the shocking 77-minute delay even as trapped fourth-graders called 911 begging for help.

Officers chose to await the arrival of a Border Patrol SWAT team, even though it was 60 miles away, the investigation noted. At least three of the 21 students and teachers who died were still alive when officers finally stormed in.

At the end of the day, it's clear that most of the officers were ill-prepared, shitting themselves, and purposely did not follow protocol that would certainly have saved innocent lives.