IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Holy Diver

BeaIank

58 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Edited accordingly.  And for anyone who isn't sure of their sectors...

http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#HolyDiver

I'm not sure if the white boxes are for a sector or simply the screen, but I'm sure Bea can figure it out from there 🙂

What the hell? Did you break in and hack @0xDEAFC0DE laptop? I dont even understand like 80% of whats in this document 

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

What the hell? Did you break in and hack @0xDEAFC0DE laptop? I dont even understand like 80% of whats in this document 

They're PNGs of the level layouts.  Click your level, and it gives you the entire layout.  What's not to understand.

Incidentally, that site is a HUGE resource I've used many, many times.  Kinda surprised more people don't know about it.

On 11/7/2021 at 11:54 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

Showtime!

SCORE EDIT #1 - Well I No-Deathed level one no problem on my first try, but it was downhill from there.  Starting out my adventure with Level 2 - 00 Magic:

Wait, so your first attempt was worse than mine? 😮

Okay, it wasn't my first attempt, but it was my first time making level 2 😛

27 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

They're PNGs of the level layouts.  Click your level, and it gives you the entire layout.  What's not to understand.

Incidentally, that site is a HUGE resource I've used many, many times.  Kinda surprised more people don't know about it.

Ahh yes, PNGs. Of course I know what that term means. Cant believe I didnt think of that

936f54ad-0db2-48e5-8572-223a68a90d5f_text.gif

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PII said:

New Experience:  Level 4 - I just fell into a pit of doom due to hitting my head on the ceiling while jumping outdoors....

Any modern woman will tell ya: you gotta watch for that glass ceiling....

EDIT - And I doubt I'll be able to get to level 4 without dying, so good on you for making it that far.

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Any modern woman will tell ya: you gotta watch for that glass ceiling....

I guess Randy Rhodes lives in that alternate dimension where the Earth is flat and covered by a glass dinner cloche.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

And I doubt I'll be able to get to level 4 without dying, so good on you for making it that far.

Nice try Silver Tongue. 😉 

3 minutes ago, PII said:

I guess Randy Rhodes lives in that alternate dimension where the Earth is flat and covered by a glass dinner cloche.

Nice try Silver Tongue. 😉 

I'm not looking to beat you, I'm just looking to not lose to you by more than three points 😉  So far, I can't get past the latter half of level 3 without dying, so I'll have a level 3 finish in the bag, but more practice will tell if I can do any better...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm not looking to beat you, I'm just looking to not lose to you by more than three points 😉  So far, I can't get past the latter half of level 3 without dying, so I'll have a level 3 finish in the bag, but more practice will tell if I can do any better...

Ya, I figured you were an old hand at this.  At any rate I doubt that there is anything I could say that would sufficiently rouse 4 or 5 fellow troops to outdo you this week, lol.

6 minutes ago, PII said:

Ya, I figured you were an old hand at this.  At any rate I doubt that there is anything I could say that would sufficiently rouse 4 or 5 fellow troops to outdo you this week, lol.

I'm expecting sumez to come in with a potentially week-winning post, but I can't think of anyone else.  Plus, it's not about people beating me: they have to beat me but not you to put seperation between our placings; if 50 people were to beat me but 49 of them also beat you, I'd still win... 😛

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Meme was supposed to make clear that Im the idiot and you did nothing wrong. Im computer illiterate beyond word, gmail, posting in this forum

That's fair.  Basically it gives you a map of each level.  You then figure out which screen was the start, and count the screens until your respawn to get your section.  On that map, each screen gives a handy dandy white box around it, so you can just count each one from the start.  Now, I'm not sure if each screen is a new respawn point, but I'm sure someone'll figure that out if they die on one screen and respawn on another, but I figure for simplicity's sake, just count screens to the respawn.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Now, I'm not sure if each screen is a new respawn point

Pretty sure Every one is a re-spawn point, I haven't ever started again in a different sector, although there definitely have been sectors that I've never died in for what that's worth. 

39 minutes ago, PII said:

Pretty sure Every one is a re-spawn point, I haven't ever started again in a different sector, although there definitely have been sectors that I've never died in for what that's worth. 

Yeah, even boss rooms are re-spawn points, so I'm pretty sure new screen = new spawn point...

Just updated my progress.  I took my "magic" pic at the end of Stage 3 Sector 8 because there is no way to do it on Sector 10 (boss battle.)  Trying would mean a guaranteed loss of the battle.  Same with Sector 9.  I had 40 magic left in the pic and used breaker once to get through Sector 9.  So when I started the boss battle at 3-10 I had 30 Magic left.