Jump to content
IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Holy Diver


BeaIank
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well it's kinda good that you didn't get an epic run and beat the boss since you technically missed the deadline by an hour 馃槈聽 But your current update doesn't change your placing at all so no harm done...

??? Are we not taking day light savings time in to account as of last week or something???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PII said:

??? Are we not taking day light savings time in to account as of last week or something???

Brasilia doesn't do it so it changes the relative time difference for us North Americans.聽 But, like I said, your new post doesn't really change much so I have no issue against it... I'll still be genre champ even if you had won 馃槈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Brasilia doesn't do it so it changes the relative time difference for us North Americans.聽 But, like I said, your new post doesn't really change much so I have no issue against it... I'll still be genre champ even if you had won 馃槈

Well I might have guessed that that was coming again. 聽I'll just have to settle for having licked the genre champ 3 out of 4 times... 馃槈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PII said:

@Dr. Morbis

U R Turtle-Hopper.

Well done Morbo, well done. 聽馃檪

I just went and checked: you know it was your SMB3 showing that killed you; I don't know what was going on in your life in week 1 of the season, but if you had performed even halfway decent there, you would have taken this genre by a wide margin...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't know what was going on in your life in week 1 of the season, but if you had performed even halfway decent there, you would have taken this genre by a wide margin...

Neither do I. 聽Maybe I wasn't warmed up yet, or perhaps I just don't care for the whole turtle-hopping thing so much. 聽At any rate, I'd rather have one thing to work on than three 馃槈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PII said:

Neither do I. 聽Maybe I wasn't warmed up yet, or perhaps I just don't care for the whole turtle-hopping thing so much. 聽At any rate, I'd rather have one thing to work on than three 馃槈

I only work on one thing: the final result.聽 I'm a macro specialist; I don't worry about the little victories 馃槈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PII said:

I suppose I simply like to master a great and worthy game to the best of my ability.

As do I when there's no time constraint, but in a weekly compo setting, it's more about averaging good results week after week for me than pouring my heart and soul into a single victory.聽 However, if they give more points for #1 next year, that may well change...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well it was a valiant effort, I'll give you that!聽 But the idea of beating all of Stage 4 and the boss on your first try is like a "whole 'nuther level" and I would have been shocked if anyone here had accomplished that feat in a mere week of practice...

Even people who mastered the game completely will frequently die on boss 4. I know at least one guy who has 1-lifed the whole thing, and even his run only survived that fight through sheer luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

Even people who mastered the game completely will frequently die on boss 4. I know at least one guy who has 1-lifed the whole thing, and even his run only survived that fight through sheer luck.

This game has to be tough if nobody here beat it although we were missing a few regular players this week.聽

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy Diver is definitely one of the toughest games on the NES! I struggle to think of many games in the same league that aren't just borderline unplayable. Ninja Gaiden 3? Not even close.

Beating it on a credit is tough. Beating it on one life is a masterful achievement.

Edited by Sumez
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Holy Diver is definitely one of the toughest games on the NES! I struggle to think of many games in the same league that aren't just borderline unplayable. Ninja Gaiden 3? Not even close.

Beating it on a credit is tough. Beating it on one life is a masterful achievement.

I did finish it a while back with continues, but it is definitely tough. I don't remember when the last Ninja Gaiden 3 contest was, but it seems like there are a few people that could beat it on 1 life.聽

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Brasilia doesn't do it so it changes the relative time difference for us North Americans.聽 But, like I said, your new post doesn't really change much so I have no issue against it... I'll still be genre champ even if you had won 馃槈

Is this really a thing? I updated my score right before 10 pm cst. Thought we went back to old cutoff time weeks ago.聽

@PII聽vs @Dr. Morbiswould be a pretty epic final in the tourney. The vegas odds makers will be up very late tonight handicapping potential matchups like that one.聽

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Is this really a thing? I updated my score right before 10 pm cst. Thought we went back to old cutoff time weeks ago.聽

@PII聽vs @Dr. Morbiswould be a pretty epic final in the tourney. The vegas odds makers will be up very late tonight handicapping potential matchups like that one.聽

If that happens, they get Super Mario Bros.聽 1 life, low score, no warps, furthest wins.聽 If they tie, they do the same with SMB3.

In all seriousness though, the odds would entirely depend on the game played.聽 I'd be curious to see how it played out, that's for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

If that happens, they get Super Mario Bros.聽 1 life, low score, no warps, furthest wins.

SMB doesn't work because we'd both no-death it very easily, and we'd both have to wait before every single flagpole till time was up to jump on, making it the most mind-numbingly frustrating SMB battle in history.

SMB3 no warps for distance though.... that would be a cool challenge!聽 Even the most battle-hardened NES gamer would be hard pressed to get through worlds 5, 6, 7, and 8 without dying once...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Is this really a thing? I updated my score right before 10 pm cst. Thought we went back to old cutoff time weeks ago.

The rules in all her recent threads say midnight Brasilia time, but hey, it's not like your placing is going to change one iota anyway, so no harm, no foul...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

SMB doesn't work because we'd both no-death it very easily, and we'd both have to wait before every single flagpole till time was up to jump on, making it the most mind-numbingly frustrating SMB battle in history.

SMB3 no warps for distance though.... that would be a cool challenge!聽 Even the most battle-hardened NES gamer would be hard pressed to get through worlds 5, 6, 7, and 8 without dying once...

Bear in mind a no-death low point run would have you avoiding mushrooms (1000 points iirc).聽 If you can no-death the game without picking up a mushroom and without warping, well, that's a feat I'd love to see.聽 Record that shit and put it on YouTube man! 馃槢

But yeah, the SMB thing was more of a joke...SMB3 though, that would actually be a challenge worthy of such competitors...and throwing in the low-score variation as well...that'd be a fun ass competition to see!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events TeamPosted

Final standings posted. @PII聽and @NESfiend聽score updates happened after midnight, Brazilia time, so they were not counted.

Fun fact, if we were observing DST, y'all would have lost another hour to post your scores.

With this, @Dr. Morbis聽is the 2021 Platformer Genre champion! Congratulations.
I will update the final standings on the leaderboard and send the invitation PMs now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Create New...