IGNORED

DO NOT PREORDER NEW GAMES FROM GAMESTOP

phart010

I preordered Metroid Dread from GameStop. They were offering Metroid pins as a preorder bonus.

28A610B9-AA07-4007-83A6-702C5CCCEC8B.thumb.png.d7819a77e7ad103aef3bd2cb557203cb.png

As you can see the website says free rush shipping on orders $35+ and the game should arrive on or shortly after release date. 

I understood “shortly after release” as a disclaimer just in case there is a shipping delay at no fault of GameStop.

Well it is now Thursday afternoon on October 7. The game is supposed to be released stores tomorrow. Some people already got their copy of Metroid Dread from Amazon since it delivered earlier than expected. My brother and friends already got shipping confirmation on their game yesterday or day before yesterday.

So I’m checking the information on my order and, what the hell, it hasn’t even shipped yet.

08382325-CC8A-457C-B545-7D20585F1439.thumb.png.7f18b64d66001a64150a51465988befd.png
5E5782AE-4C54-4491-AD46-3D12F9869DA9.thumb.png.b17c24dc83008960b4149fa386d21fd5.png

Gamestop! What are you doing? You can’t sit on games until release date and then ship them out. In my opinion, this was a bait and switch tactic.

I called GameStop to explain how this was misleading. The lady I talked to didn’t seem too concerned, it’s probably a regular thing. I asked since it didn’t ship yet if they could convert my order into a store pickup on release date. Again she basically said we can’t really do anything, it is what it is.

I am not a GameStop hater. I know they have a bad reputation over various issues that they’ve had in the past. But I’ve stuck with them and things seemed ok for me.

But I am here as an enthusiastic Metroid fan and I am really pissed with GameStop right now. I would warn anyone that is anxiously awaiting release date for any game they have been looking forward to:

DO NOT PREORDER FROM GAMESTOP!

Edited by phart010
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 3

5 minutes ago, twiztor said:

dude, you ordered it on October 4th. i'm no Gamestop lover, but i hardly see this as bait and switch or any kind of sleight against you. 

Maybe my expectations are unrealistic. But if I can place an order for same game on Amazon right now and delivery is guaranteed tomorrow, why GameStop need 4-5 days before they will even ship it out.

And then shipping is another 2 days.. last time I checked, rush shipping meant next day delivery 

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, fox said:

Says you will get it Sunday, that’s 2 days from Friday not 4-5 days!  2 days shipping on a Sunday is not bad.

Amazon has guaranteed release day arrival on some titles.  GameStop doesn’t I guess.

What I meant is 4-5 days order processing from the time I ordered it (October 4). My brother ordered from Walmart and they shipped his yesterday so he would receive it by the 8th. Now it is close to midnight on the 7th and GameStop still has not shipped mine. 

If they ship it tomorrow it would still take 1-2 days in transit.

Unless it's for something that's an actual limited edition item or needs a reserve in order to ship a specific quantity, don't preorder games period.  You're just giving some company a free loan, on which they get to collect interest and you don't.  At best, you get your game on time, at worst, you don't (as in this case).  I can't remember the last major release (that wasn't actually a true limited edition) that didn't have tons of copies sitting around on launch day at every retailer.  No need to preorder, just show up day of, slap down your money, and walk out.  This often precludes buying games at launch at GameStop due to them specifically keeping all the extra copies back on launch day "unless you had a preorder," despite having well in excess of what was preordered (used to work beside and was friends with 3 GameStop managers who confirmed my suspicions).  If you're doing it solely for the convenience, then do it through some place like Amazon, where they collect your payment details ahead of time but don't actually charge you until they complete (and ship!) the order.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Anyone remember having to arrive at Best Buy/Gamestop at midnight to pick up your preordered copy? Yea, those were the days.

8 hours ago, phart010 said:

As you can see the website says free rush shipping on orders $35+ and the game should arrive on or shortly after release date. 

I mean... it says it right there.

8 hours ago, phart010 said:

I called GameStop to explain how this was misleading.

2 days after fits the "shortly after release date. That's actually quite a reasonable time frame.

I don't shop at Gamestop much anymore, but I don't see anything misleading. I have purchased some titles from Best Buy and I think even Amazon and they always seemed to arrive quickly.

36 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

I mean... it says it right there.

2 days after fits the "shortly after release date. That's actually quite a reasonable time frame.

See I disagree. Why not just drop the first part about arriving on release date completely and just say “arrives shortly after release date”? Because if you aren’t going to ship the damn game until release date then there’s absolutely no way it’s going to get delivered to me by release date

Edited by phart010
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Remember back when Amazon gave you 20% off brand new AAA titles when you pre-ordered?  I pre-ordered stuff all the time back then.  I don't think I've pre-ordered a game since they ended that. 

I'm not sure that I've ever pre-ordered anything from GameStop before.

I hope they still do that for Dragon Quest 12 and/or Final Fantasy 16 when the time comes.  The thing is though, I already got all these other systems and the idea of plunking down $500 for a whole other system (PS5), just for those two games, doesn't seem right... 😞 

• Love 1

Why would you bother to preorder something that is going to be in plentiful stock from release day to years after the Switches life span? It’s a first party game, they’re not going to be hard to come by. Like someone else said just walk i to a store on release day and buy it. 

Also this has been a known thing with Gamestop for years. They don’t get you your stuff on release day, hell even in store preorders don’t always arrive on release day. The logistics in that company has been a shit show for 10+ years

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phart010 said:

See I disagree. Why not just drop the first part about arriving on release date completely and just say “arrives shortly after release date”? Because if you aren’t going to ship the damn game until release date then there’s absolutely no way it’s going to get delivered to me by release date

It's in the fine print, so legally, they will get away with it as it is. If you'd be getting the game a week or two later, then yeah I'd be upset too.

2 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

🤷‍♂️ does two days really make that much difference?

I mean, kind of yea. Newest game in your favorite series that you've been anticipating for literally years? Got the whole wide weekend to play it? But oh, it won't be here until Sunday. Then you have to work all week. 

I'd say yea, it does matter.

12 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Why would you bother to preorder something that is going to be in plentiful stock from release day to years after the Switches life span? It’s a first party game, they’re not going to be hard to come by. Like someone else said just walk i to a store on release day and buy it. 

For the stupid pin set

7BB02DF6-9485-4AD4-BBCF-9AE0B336E02C.jpeg.040c45e7bb31491e19adf7344266e5fe.jpeg

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Remember back when Amazon gave you 20% off brand new AAA titles when you pre-ordered?  I pre-ordered stuff all the time back then.  I don't think I've pre-ordered a game since they ended that. 

I'm not sure that I've ever pre-ordered anything from GameStop before.

Same here.  They randomly still do without announcing it but it's lesser and lesser they do it.  The only 95% constant one is walmart, but even they're being jackasses with this one as it's not the usual $50 for a $60 game on this one, same price as everyone else.  I was going to drive there to get a deal, had no reason to go into that pit seeing that.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:27 PM, phart010 said:

But if I can place an order for same game on Amazon right now and delivery is guaranteed tomorrow, why GameStop need 4-5 days before they will even ship it out.

Keep in mind other companies don't have the logistics infrastructure that Amazon has, nor do they almost kill their employees/contractors getting you that item in two days.

13 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Keep in mind other companies don't have the logistics infrastructure that Amazon has, nor do they almost kill their employees/contractors getting you that item in two days.

True. But with the relative size and scale of Amazon compared to GameStop, you’d think GameStop can handle its load even with less logistical capacity. They probably ship less than 5% the volume of Amazon on a daily basis.

A more fair comparison to GameStop is Best Buy. Best Buy still managed to mail their customers games out two days before launch. I got a shipping confirmation from GameStop on launch day at like 7PM. Not too pissed anymore because I just bought another copy so I could start playing.

Youd think that with all the capital GameStop was able to make off the short squeeze, they’d be able to make some improvements in their business. Well, they didn’t really earn that money by being innovative, it kinda just fell into their lap in a prank twist of fate

B3D8C7CA-A01B-4C3D-B904-523E125FA9D8.jpeg.086b4fd9f399717e9fa8520e44dc03da.jpeg

Edited by phart010

18 minutes ago, phart010 said:

True. But with the relative size and scale of Amazon compared to GameStop, you’d think GameStop can handle its load even with less logistical capacity. They probably ship less than 5% the volume of Amazon on a daily basis.

It's not really about capacity, it's about the framework. Amazon has its own shipping structure, trucks, and sorting facilities. Gamestop likely contracts all that out, especially to-door last mile distribution.

You rely on someone else, you lose the ability to guarantee things.

On 10/8/2021 at 9:25 PM, Tulpa said:

Still though, as a eBay nobody, I can get your game to you on 2 days if you pay for it. Realistically, they could've started slapping prepaid labels on games a week or two ago and had them ready to go out the day before release if the customer paid extra.