IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

About what I expected here. Some titles, which went too high too fast, are correcting, but other stuff that was going along at normal pace is continuing to grow at normal pace. Mario 2 was due for an explosion, but man that was quite a sale. Tysons went nuts, too. 

I think you'll see stuff where high grade later games outpace lower grade earlier prints, which is the opposite of how collectors have viewed things. It seems to be the general trend across collectibles. 

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

About what I expected here. Some titles, which went too high too fast, are correcting, but other stuff that was going along at normal pace is continuing to grow at normal pace. Mario 2 was due for an explosion, but man that was quite a sale. Tysons went nuts, too. 

I think you'll see stuff where high grade later games outpace lower grade earlier prints, which is the opposite of how collectors have viewed things. It seems to be the general trend across collectibles. 

You did call it!!

32 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

I just can't believe that the SM2 9.8 beat the SM2 9.2 by a whopping $280,800 dollars! Unreal amount for a 0.6 upgrade!

(9.8 ends at $324,000 and the 9.2 ends at $43,200)

To quote from the movie Tron Legacy, Tron talking to Sam about Clu "the guy doesn't dig imperfection." Same can be said about the buyer who won the 9.8 lol.

Edited by AnimalHouse
  • Haha 1

Uh... it's not on a $10 million pace. I think it's more likely this auction is viewed as a disappointment and less successful than the first one.

Things could turn around, but right now it's not looking good.

My take (perhaps an odd one): I think they would have made more money without a live auctioneer, i.e. if this had been conducted in a fashion similar to the weeklies. (Only caveat here would be if they had high-end bidders only able to work by phone, but obviously there are ways around that.)

Edited by RETRO

Not quite surprised that we are seeing some market price correction going on. These games went up too high and too fast. Like with anything that goes high way too quickly was bound to lose steam and correct itself later. Happened in sportscards and comics. I guess we'll see how prices for these same games look next year, if the momentum upward will still be in effect. 

Yes I did see Shyne purchased the Sonic game in the past Goldin Auction on his IG account.  Quite a price for "just" a 9.4. Will be interesting to see how the HA WATA 9.6 does with a better wrap. Also to note that Shyne and Ken Goldin are really good friends and they've posted a few live sportscard box breaks together. It's an arguement for those who think the sale is fake I guess. But then again the consignor of the game seems they got paid. So take that as you will.

Yeah, when the buyer at an auction is a friend of the auction house owner in the midst of a national scandal about auction house owners being corrupt (see the Jobst video about James Halperin and Heritage), and the game the auction house owner's friend buys sets a world record and does bonzo PR for the auction house despite having a massive rip on the front of its seal... that's, uh, very bad.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I feel that the all the Nes Super Mario Bros underwhelmed. I can't believe that I am even saying that with their ending prices at $492.000, $150,000, $84,000 (I thought they would go for around $800K for the hangtag black seal , $400K for the black seal and 150K for the white seal). I also think that the Snes Super Mario World underwhelmed at $144,000.

And to think, it was only 2 years ago, when the hobby had its first $100,000 game. Collectors got spoiled/numb with all the record breaking sales in the last Signature Auction, Goldin Auctions, private sales, that today's ending prices feel much lower, but yet, they are still selling for incredible prices, if you look at it in the proper perspective.

Expectations were just too high for this auction. The low prices at the recent CertifiedLink auction should have been a premonition of what was possibly going to happen today.

I agree with Exploded Hamster that things went haywire too quickly and this auction is showing the market is definitely correcting itself for the most part today. 

The up-coming Sonic first print will be very telling in where things stand right now for me. If it sells for less than the 9.4, you can definitely say that prices are down across the board for the most part.

• Like 1

Wow, the N64 Mario 9.8 A++ that Sold for $1,560,000 3 short months ago and today A N64 Mario 9.6 A++ Sold for $102,000.

0.2 made a $1,458,000 dollar difference. If you are the buyer of that 9.8, you probably are not feeling too good right now.

Talk about taking a bath!!

Edited by Dumars2001
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

Wow, the N64 Mario 9.8 A++ Sold for $1,560,000 3 months short months ago and today A N64 Mario 9.6 A++ Sold for $102,000.

0.2 made a $1,458,000 dollar difference. If you are the buyer of that 9.8, you probably are not feeling too good right now.

Talk about taking a bath!!

Surprised it went that low. Was thinking more like 200-300 given the last Goldin result. The 9.6 A+ on Otis is funded at more than that.

• Agree 1

Welp, that was awkward for Otis:

Pokemon prices were, uh...bizarre? Sandshrew Red 9.8/A++ for $150k seems super soft, but Rattata Blue 9.8/A++ for over $100k seems high if anything. Both Yellows seemed soft, Crystal and Emerald didn't do great, but FireRed went bananas...then LeafGreen kinda tanked. Would've helped if HA hadn't fucked up the prints though (the LeafGreen was also first print, it was not mid-production).

1 minute ago, AdamW said:

Welp, that was awkward for Otis:

Pokemon prices were, uh...bizarre? Sandshrew Red 9.8/A++ for $150k seems super soft, but Rattata Blue 9.8/A++ for over $100k seems high if anything. Both Yellows seemed soft, Crystal and Emerald didn't do great, but FireRed went bananas...then LeafGreen kinda tanked. Would've helped if HA hadn't fucked up the prints though (the LeafGreen was also first print, it was not mid-production).

An absolute unreal drop in price for Super Mario 64 is all that I can say. Shawn from Reserved Investments called it!! To basically lose $1,400,000 dollars in the span of 3 months, is absolutely unbelievable! I would be suicidal, lol! 

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

An absolute unreal drop in price for Super Mario 64 is all that I can say. Shawn from Reserved Investments called it!! To basically lose $1,400,000 dollars in the span of 3 months, is absolutely unbelievable! I would be suicidal, lol! 

Let's be clear though, this is a 9.6 A+, and you're comparing to a 9.8 A++. I'd personally say that Wata can't be trusted to know the difference between the two, however to say that the value of the 9.8 A++ is lesser because an ostensibly lower condition copy is being sold for less is not apples to apples.

• Like 1