IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

1 hour ago, Caliboy24 said:

The problem Joe Gulag is that you are making false assumptions regarding the comic book collecting hobby because you were never in that hobby to learn more about it such as the market, the history, current trends, etc. to get a better idea on why and how comics are valuable and have been part of the collectibles market for years and years. You're putting out a false narrative when it comes to that without doing any research. I wish you well.

Specifically define how my point is a "false assumption".

High road = I'm not gonna sit here and exchange insults over my awesome facts that it's easier to keep a comic book in good condition than it is a video game. The most awesome fact is how some of you are still defending paying $1.5 million dollars for a used comic book that has dozens of more examples out there in much better condition.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Gulag Joe said:

High road = I'm not gonna sit here and exchange insults over my awesome facts that it's easier to keep a comic book in good condition than it is a video game. The most awesome fact is how some of you are still defending paying $1.5 million dollars for a used comic book that has dozens of more examples out there in much better condition.

Ok I need to get this off my chest..

Are you trolling or do you genuinely believe in the above post?

None of us are defending anything that is above 1 million dollars, because I doubt any of us here are in that kind of mindset. What we are saying is simply this basic formula:

1. PS5 game 9.8A++

2. PS2 game 9.6A++

3. N64 game 9.6A+

4. SNES game 9.2A

5. NES game 9.0A

6. A comic from the 50s 8.0

Can you guess which is the higher score and which is the rarer item? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Let it be known that you are the one that asked for this. 🧐

YOU: "It's been weeks now and some of you people are still stewing about my comments regarding preservation of comic books being far easier than preservation of sealed video games. I love it!"

FACT: It is very easy to assume this is true. But in reality, both need the same type of environment when it comes to preservation purposes. But even then it is easier to know that both a box and seal are well preserved than it is with an entire comic book. 

With comic books, however, the condition also goes beyond just the cover. Because nearly every comic book out there are at risk of having their pages go from white to off-white, yellow, et cetera. (Note: If those pages go Barry White or Betty White, and they are not appearing in the comic in question, you might be rich.)

All games need are, at the very cheapest, are plastic cases. While I always suggest getting custom acrylic cases with both sliding bottoms and additional UV resistance (if available).

Point being is that out of the decades I have been collecting, I found your claims to be backwards. And can also point out that it is easier for me to find sealed NES AD&D games in collectible condition than I can with DC's old AD&D comic book series (which I both loved and often miss). 🍺

ALSO YOU: "'m still blown away that a few of you would open up your mouths as wide as possible to spend $1.5 million on a comic book that had soup made out of its insides but yet go out of your way to demonize and make "fRaUd" videos about a video game selling for the same amount in perfect condition."

FACT: Nobody has done that. At worst, there was a comparison between video games and the stock market. But at no point has anybody here done what you have claims. Nor have you offered any proof that helps validate your claims.

2 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Personally speaking, the proverbial high horse you chose to sit on released the same proverbial "awesome facts" you claim your "facts" are. Just at the opposite end. So all I can say is that you get off your high horse, stand up, and take responsibility for the fact that your own narrative has zero merits in that argument. 🍺

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, doner24 said:

There’s nothing here terrible enough to shut anything/anyone down, but whatever this argument is, is really tired. I mean, I don’t even know what side to root for. 

Simple suggestion: Root for the side that chose to not get involved, picks up their friends, stop at a used video game store, and cap off their day at a local pub. 🍺

• Like 1

so does anyone see anything they find interesting in the next sig? I've got my eye on at least one game that i would post here but am choosing not to in case i manage to somehow bid for and win it. otherwise there's a pretty solid lineup. Also, that low-bit specialty auction block for early december is sounding quite dope.

6 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

There is only 4 I believe graded as a CGC 9.6 and the $1.5 mil paid for it was not surprising to me unlike the Mario 64 that sold for around that much with many more copies around that same grade that are either pending to be graded at WATA, held ungraded by someone else's collrction, or crossed over from VGA to WATA. That sale will bring out more copies out of the woodwork and I can only see the pop reports rise from here on out. 

There is to some degree that video games are tough to find in sealed boxes especially the older titles because most im sure have been opened up and played with.  Not really difficult to preserve a video game because they can be stored in their respective boxes or some sort of molded plastic container that opens up.

Comics on the other hand, that is if you're talking about comics pre-1960's were really not thought of as collectibles that time and were heavily read, stored in maybe a basement, garage, a barn even where paper can degrade overtime due to the changing temperatures (a lot of books would have brittle pages as a result) or stored optimally away from direct sunlight, heavy moisture, and cooler temperatures. Also people back then did not have the essential supplies to store comics. There were no acid free backing boards which would protect the comic from curling up overtime and the spine to weaken, and the mylar plastics were I believe used starting in the 70's maybe mid-late 60s. Before that period, parents normally would toss away comic books in the trash or light them on fire whenever their child is done reading them. Majority of the buyers at that time too were children and teens so comic book damages was pretty common who saved up a dime to buy at their local drugstore.  Nowadays, it's so much easier to preserve comics better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, inasuma said:

so does anyone see anything they find interesting in the next sig? I've got my eye on at least one game that i would post here but am choosing not to in case i manage to somehow bid for and win it. otherwise there's a pretty solid lineup. Also, that low-bit specialty auction block for early december is sounding quite dope.

Nah I ain't rich. That shit goes for too much money 😂 I'll only pick something up if it's going for far cheaper than it should.

FACT: There are more old comic books out there than there are old sealed popular title video games (NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1).

After you are all done making out with each other, I'll be watching the 9.6 A+ Mortal Kombat Genesis first party seal in the next HA signature.

Edited by Gulag Joe

36 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

FACT: There are more old comic books out there than there are old sealed popular title video games (NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1).

After you are all done making out with each other, I'll be watching the 9.6 A+ Mortal Kombat Genesis first party seal in the next HA signature.

Apples, meet oranges! I think the difference here is that we're not comparing "any comic in any condition" to "sealed popular title video games." I don't know shit about comic book collecting, but I do know that most of the expensive comics, certainly anything worth 7 figures, are either incredibly rare (small print run), incredibly rarely in good condition (old book, not made on high quality paper), or both. You don't get a million dollars for any comic because it's 10 years old, you get a million for a comic because they only made 50 of them, 80 years ago, and this one is the best condition copy in existence.

SM64, by contrast, they printed millions of them and the only thing that makes them "worth" a million dollars is that they're in nice condition. However...it's a lot easier for an item in shrink wrap which has never been touched by human hands to be in nice condition than it is a 90 year old comic which was sold loose, mostly to children, and handled, read, and passed down. You starting to get it yet? These two classes of items are different.

Comics also have a history of being sold over decades, dozens of times, with recorded prices, and SM64 the chart looks completely insane. But ya know, same thing, pretty much.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

you get a million for a comic because they only made 50 of them, 80 years ago, and this one is the best condition copy in existence.

SM64, by contrast, they printed millions of them and the only thing that makes them "worth" a million dollars is that they're in nice condition.

"tHeY pRiNtEd MiLlIoNs Of ThEm"

How many are still sealed?

Also, so all your bullshit doesn't fall out of context:

Screenshot_20211001-102532_Chrome.jpg

• Eyeroll 1

You know what? You're right. They only made 22x as many SM64 as they made Batman #1. And you're also right, comic books aren't rare just because they're old, .0006% of them still exist! All those idiots who are saying that comic books are rare because they were thrown out or destroyed by kids are delusional.

I get that not many kids chose not to open their games. But even if the same population of kids chose not to open their games as those who chose to take good care of their comic books, there would be about 7,200 sealed SM64. And you think that there's only 2 which are high grade? There are literally pictures all over the internet of people with sealed shipping containers of games from the 1990s. Have you seen a picture of someone with a sealed shipping container of golden age comics?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Have you seen a picture of someone with a sealed shipping container of golden age comics?

Yes. I've also seen piles of the 52 Mantle from Mr. Mint's find.

And that 7,200 of sealed SM64 came from where exactly?

Sure, there are lots of sealed video games from the 90s out there. Alot of them were dogshit that nobody bought. But we're talking about the million dollar game here, not piles of Timecop.

You cant argue with stupid, so I wouldn't bother.  But I do commend Gulag Joe coming here completely outnumbered, and telling people who've been enjoying this hobby for decades/tons of experience that we don't know what we're talking about.  All while he wants to be lazy and unamerican by getting rich quickly.  Has Joe even posted anything about even PLAYING a video game on here?

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 3

I don't even know why the AF 15 comic that sold for $1.5 mil is making headways and a big deal.  There are a few other books that sold for more in the $3 mil range and no one has thought of these sales as being a fraud/scam...  It's accepted by may comic collectors including myself.

Edited by Caliboy24
  • Agree 1