IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

5 hours ago, Caliboy24 said:

I don't even know why the AF 15 comic that sold for $1.5 mil is making headways and a big deal.  There are a few other books that sold for more in the $3 mil range and no one has thought of these sales as being a fraud/scam...  It's accepted by may comic collectors including myself.

People don't bother following that portion of the market, that's why. I mean how many will officially proclaim that a near-perfect copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 should not have sold for that amount? I mean besides those who do not know that it is also Spider-Man's very first appearance in any media.

Seriously... It makes me wonder how people would react if somebody paid a third of that price for a MOC AFA (or CAS) 85+ graded "vinyl cape" Jawa. 🤔

1 hour ago, FenrirZero said:

People don't bother following that portion of the market, that's why. I mean how many will officially proclaim that a near-perfect copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 should not have sold for that amount? I mean besides those who do not know that it is also Spider-Man's very first appearance in any media.

Seriously... It makes me wonder how people would react if somebody paid a third of that price for a MOC AFA (or CAS) 85+ graded "vinyl cape" Jawa. 🤔

I don't think the high price paid is because of the 1st app of Spider-man.. The reason may be because it's also the first appearance of Uncle Ben and Aunt May😆

I don't really follow the SW collectible toy market but I think the Vinyl Cape Jawa in high grade MOC condition can fetch a hefty price tag.. The rocket firing prototype Boba Fett though fetched 225k and I'm sure only about 2-3 are known to exist?  That was a huge price but in today's crazy market where all collectibles shot up in value, it may be accepted now.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 6:05 PM, Caliboy24 said:

I don't think the high price paid is because of the 1st app of Spider-man.. The reason may be because it's also the first appearance of Uncle Ben and Aunt May😆

I don't really follow the SW collectible toy market but I think the Vinyl Cape Jawa in high grade MOC condition can fetch a hefty price tag.. The rocket firing prototype Boba Fett though fetched 225k and I'm sure only about 2-3 are known to exist?  That was a huge price but in today's crazy market where all collectibles shot up in value, it may be accepted now.

I tend to follow any market that helps me decide what I should consider collecting. It's a long story.

Plus I thought that people are hunting down the Clone Saga issues, and not this one. Because Sony cancelled their Ben and May movies while Marvel is bringing back Peter's clone (Ben) as the new Spider-Man! 😂

As for vintage toys... The original MOC "rocket firing" Boba Fett is an "error packing" variant. Kenner cancelled that plan when they learned that the rocket is a potential choking hazard. With the "double telescoping" lightsaber figures becoming variants because the tips were too fragile (and can be a "eye poking" hazard).

Then again... The only "rare" MOC figure I own is Cara Dune. She went from being an epic-level peg warmer to being a controversial hot commodity to being one I paid a sane price for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FenrirZero said:

As for vintage toys... The original MOC "rocket firing" Boba Fett is an "error packing" variant. Kenner cancelled that plan when they learned that the rocket is a potential choking hazard.

Actually, the one and only carded one that ever exited was a sales sample, used by their sales team to show it off at shows, to stores they were pitching to, etc.  The front of the card and bubble were standard, but the card didn't actually have a printed back--it was just plain cardboard.  No other legitimate carded rocket firing Fetts exist--anyone trying to pitch one is knowingly or unknowingly hustling a fake.

The figure got cancelled because a kid died after choking on a similar missile fired from a first run Battlestar Galactica toy; those were changed to not be firing, but all they actually did was make a minor change to the missile so it would stick in the ship instead of coming out, but you can "fix" that by clipping off a couple of tiny tabs.  A handful of prototype examples existed and managed to survive, most unpainted, with a couple of different tab types for holding the rocket in place ("L" and "J" slot variations).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

I tend to follow any market that helps me decide what I should consider collecting. It's a long story.

Plus I thought that people are hunting down the Clone Saga issues, and not this one. Because Sony cancelled their Ben and May movies while Marvel is bringing back Peter's clone (Ben) as the new Spider-Man! 😂

As for vintage toys... The original MOC "rocket firing" Boba Fett is an "error packing" variant. Kenner cancelled that plan when they learned that the rocket is a potential choking hazard. With the "double telescoping" lightsaber figures becoming variants because the tips were too fragile (and can be a "eye poking" hazard).

Then again... The only "rare" MOC figure I own is Cara Dune. She went from being an epic-level peg warmer to being a controversial hot commodity to being one I paid a sane price for.

I did have one of those Cara Dune Black label figures.. unfortunately, I was trimming down my toy collection and sold that together with my other SW black series figures before it was announced that the Dune figures were being discontinued 😭. I always tend to sell at the wrong timed

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Caliboy24 said:

I did have one of those Cara Dune Black label figures.. unfortunately, I was trimming down my toy collection and sold that together with my other SW black series figures before it was announced that the Dune figures were being discontinued 😭. I always tend to sell at the wrong timed

All I can say is that I have done that far too many times in the past. And is why I spent the past few years looking at how grading companies both grade and preserve, and not look at ones who benefit from any/all undeserved hype. So I feel for ya, and can say that a MISB "TBS" Cara Dune has dropped down to the $60 to $100 price range.

Then again... I used to tell people that it is smarter to develop a steady profit margin than aim for a potentially big pay day. Because the former does offer a potential big payday, where as it is not the case for the other. Which always ends up being another thing people ignore because they listen to some schmuck say otherwise.

But I also have a Walmart story that involves an obvious repack and me facepalming after I reported it to them twice. Which is also my current feelings about HA, and the fact they put more energy denying something than saying they will look into it. Which had me wonder why because they don't lose money by doing just that. 🤔

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

This is the first time I've actually considered bidding through Heritage because they have a DKC competition cart with the clamshell. But... it's probably going to be outrageous, so we'll see. 

My hope is that maybe the big time "investors" will see the 7.0 CIB and just move on 😂😂

I added it to my watch list last week.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

This is the first time I've actually considered bidding through Heritage because they have a DKC competition cart with the clamshell. But... it's probably going to be outrageous, so we'll see. 

My hope is that maybe the big time "investors" will see the 7.0 CIB and just move on 😂😂

37 tracking it so far, that's alotta eyes

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I wouldn't consider a 85+ to be mint on card.

All I can say is that your definition requires the Card, Bubble, and Figure to be a 90 (or higher) in order to be considered a "MOC" piece, that is your way of collecting. And because that is your way of collecting, I will not argue.

In all cases, a MOC figure requires the figure to be a 90 or higher. And if a carded figure was given an 85+ it means that either the card or bubble (maybe both) was a high 85 and still had its flaw(s) be easy enough to spot. Just like you can have an C(ard): 85, B(ubble): 85, F(igure): 90 and still have the overall grade be a 90.

Figures that cannot be considered MOC tend to either be the victim of a factory using the wrong type of plastic, doing a bad production run, or the owner not knowing how to take proper care of their carded figures. Other than that, it tends to be rare that a packaged figure gets anything lower than a 90 when those factors are not an issue.

Then again... I have bought enough carded R2-D2s and Stormtroopers from resellers that I will not considered a figure "MOC" if I suspect there is either a factory flaw or age-related discoloration on it. 😅

Heritage Auctions just opened the bidding for their Signature Video Game Auction and it appears there is going to be a ton of money spent on their games once again. My hot take (a no-brainer) is that the total amount of money that they generate from this auction is going to break shatter their previous record by a mile. 

There are still 22 days left and you have a Zelda sitting at $234,000, A Tyson's Punchout at $60,000, A Sonic at $60,000, Super Mario Bros at $276,000, A Super Mario Bros 2 at $31,000 and countless other games already in the $10,000 to $20,000 range. We all know that the real action starts at the end, so who knows where these prices are going to end up at?!

It still boggles my mind to see this much money being spent on video games. Like I have said in the past, video game prices have already obliterated action figure prices in only this past year and video games are now comparable to many other high end hobbies. It has happened so fast, like an out of control freight train (shaking my head)!

So many of these games could have been bought  for pennies on the dollar (sigh), just 2 to 3 short years ago. It seems like the Karl Jobst video has done nothing to stop this video game madness and it may even have had the opposite effect on the hobby (bringing in even more people/collectors/attention/speculation/investors).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

Heritage Auctions just opened the bidding for their Signature Video Game Auction and it appears there is going to be a ton of money spent on their games once again. My hot take (a no-brainer) is that the total amount of money that they generate from this auction is going to break shatter their previous record by a mile. 

There are still 22 days left and you have a Zelda sitting at $234,000, A Tyson's Punchout at $60,000, A Sonic at $60,000, Super Mario Bros at $276,000, A Super Mario Bros 2 at $31,000 and countless other games already in the $10,000 to $20,000 range. We all know that the real action starts at the end, so who knows where these prices are going to end up at?!

It still boggles my mind to see this much money being spent on video games. Like I have said in the past, video game prices have already obliterated action figure prices in only this past year and video games are now comparable to many other high end hobbies. It has happened so fast, like an out of control freight train (shaking my head)!

So many of these games could have been bought  for pennies on the dollar (sigh), just 2 to 3 short years ago. It seems like the Karl Jobst video has done nothing to stop this video game madness and it may even have had the opposite effect on the hobby (bringing in even more people/collectors/attention/speculation/investors).

I'm watching the Genesis Mortal Kombat first party seal. Last one like it was offered over a year ago and it was only a 9.0 B+.

I've been curious to find out if the new market thinks a first party seal is better than a third party seal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

Even the weekly auctions nowadays are like mini signature auctions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RETRO said:

I realize it's on a $5/month (cancel anytime) subscription website I author, so I'm certainly not hard-selling it and won't say more about it, but I'm guessing at least one or two of you will want to know that this was just published. https://retrostack.substack.com/p/breaking-news-halloween-night-video

Just a small amendment in the portion that is free to read: the Zelda that sold for 870K was actually a 3rd printing.  In the bottom right hand corner of the front, there is a small "R" instead of "TM". And on the back, the top screenshot shown has been changed from the 1st and 2nd printing to reflect a different image.

That's part of the excitement and aura of the upcoming signature Zelda.  It is the first time a true 1st print has come to the open market in the new collecting era (hell, I'm not sure the last time one has traded hands, period.)

Here is a 1st print listing from HA where you can compare the differences vs the one you have linked in your article: https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/the-legend-of-zelda-wata-85-cib-nes-tm-no-rev-a-first-production-nes-nintendo-1987-usa/a/7263-28037.s

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Maertens29 said:

Just a small amendment in the portion that is free to read: the Zelda that sold for 870K was actually a 3rd printing.  In the bottom right hand corner of the front, there is a small "R" instead of "TM". And on the back, the top screenshot shown has been changed from the 1st and 2nd printing to reflect a different image.

That's part of the excitement and aura of the upcoming signature Zelda.  It is the first time a true 1st print has come to the open market in the new collecting era (hell, I'm not sure the last time one has traded hands, period.)

Here is a 1st print listing from HA where you can compare the differences vs the one you have linked in your article: https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/the-legend-of-zelda-wata-85-cib-nes-tm-no-rev-a-first-production-nes-nintendo-1987-usa/a/7263-28037.s

Fixed it! And separate from that, I'm also really glad to know this (about the first printing) because it increases my excitement to see what happens over Halloween weekend. While I'm concerned about certain broad trends (mostly downstream effects) and the ongoing business ethics components of all this (e.g. the conflict-of-interest issues re: these auction/grading house parent companies), I generally agree with you that there's no reason to get worked up over how other people spend their money. And as an active collector, I feel like I can both enjoy being in this sphere and also criticize it (because I want it to evolve) at the same time, i.e. I'm not just a crank—I really do like collecting sealed/graded games. So there's definitely a part of me that is extremely and maybe almost academically curious about what is going to happen with this first printing of Zelda and the auction overall. I doubt it'll be as fun as the CertifiedLink auction, which felt like it was a blast to both watch *and* participate in, but this should be pretty historic nevertheless!

PS You're a warrior, man—six hours of live-streaming in 48 hours! Really enjoyed watching the parts of it I did.

Edited by RETRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RETRO said:

Fixed it! And separate from that, I'm also really glad to know this (about the first printing) because it increases my excitement to see what happens over Halloween weekend. While I'm concerned about certain broad trends (mostly downstream effects) and the ongoing business ethics components of all this (e.g. the conflict-of-interest issues re: these auction/grading house parent companies), I generally agree with you that there's no reason to get worked up over how other people spend their money. And as an active collector, I feel like I can both enjoy being in this sphere and also criticize it (because I want it to evolve) at the same time, i.e. I'm not just a crank—I really do like collecting sealed/graded games. So there's definitely a part of me that is extremely and maybe almost academically curious about what is going to happen with this first printing of Zelda and the auction overall. I doubt it'll be as fun as the CertifiedLink auction, which felt like it was a blast to both watch *and* participate in, but this should be pretty historic nevertheless!

PS You're a warrior, man—six hours of live-streaming in 48 hours! Really enjoyed watching the parts of it I did.

Oh absolutely haha.  This Heritage Auction will be entertainment of a whole different kind vs Certified Link.  Certified Link was a playground for a "normal person" to grab some games and have some fun.  This upcoming signature we get to see where the "affluent" toss their money, and what kind of overarching headlines and narratives will come from it.  It sounds weird to say I'm very excited for it, but I love watching all of this madness unfold in the hobby (for better or worse).

And always appreciate you popping in, man!  I didn't realize it was going to be such a marathon when I first day down to stream on the Tuesday😅

• Like 1