IGNORED

Sealed games and backdooring

mlbfan10

8 minutes ago, mlbfan10 said:

I won the Super Mario RPG last night and 2 hours after auction end, seller sold for $3300 to another buyer. I get it I took the risk bidding with a shoddy seller so I shouldn't be surprised. 

I get games are in huge competition but backdooring is bush league. 

It’s 100% on the seller to be ethical. 

• Like 3

I highly agree just beat down because I've been trying to get a copy at a fair price which is constantly moving up. I had an 85+ several years back but just want a decent copy to fill the void. Back to your point with the sellers feedback it shouldn't come as a shock they took another deal. 

• Sad 3

Technically speaking, I believe at least in most jurisdictions, at the time the auction ended there was a legal contract of sale between you and the seller. The seller is breaching the law if they don't fulfill it. It might be hard to get meaningful redress but you could at least look at the options. You could also report them to eBay (assuming this was an eBay sale) as they'd definitely be breaking eBay's rules too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Technically speaking, I believe at least in most jurisdictions, at the time the auction ended there was a legal contract of sale between you and the seller. The seller is breaching the law if they don't fulfill it. It might be hard to get meaningful redress but you could at least look at the options. You could also report them to eBay (assuming this was an eBay sale) as they'd definitely be breaking eBay's rules too.

As I understand it that is correct and the seller broke this contract or purchase agreement. I have reported them to eBay as well. 

Edited by mlbfan10
  • Like 1

You should have plenty of confidence bidding on eBay, so don’t take any of the blame. When I was actively buying on eBay, years ago, would see similar situations every now and then when a seller didn’t get what they wanted.

Did the seller just cancel it, was there any excuse?

Edited by kell
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, kell said:

You should have plenty of confidence bidding on eBay, so don’t take any of the blame. When I was actively buying on eBay, years ago, would see similar situations every now and then when a seller didn’t get what they wanted.

Did the seller just cancel it, was there any excuse?

I love eBay but like you say it does happen from time to time just been awhile for me. 

No message was cancelled for being out of stock or damaged and relisted for $3300.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlbfan10 said:

I love eBay but like you say it does happen from time to time just been awhile for me. 

No message was cancelled for being out of stock or damaged and relisted for $3300.

Ebay should definitely do something about that if the guy canceled the sale saying it was out of stock or damaged and relisted the exact same item for a higher price.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

That sucks OP, looking at the seller's feedback, had no idea these types are still around on ebay. He seems more suited to Mercari.

This copy will get a very low grade, not even sure it's even worth the price that you won the auction for.

Thank you, yeah I plan to be patient and purchase a better copy 🙂

• Like 1

This topic reminds me of a similar incident I had around 2 weeks ago. I purchased an item with a BIN price. I then tried to negotiate a second item to come down in price. The seller sent a counter offer. I was still deciding on his offer, but within 30 minutes, he gave me the full refund of the first purchase, and no communications since then. Either he had a change of mind or I was backdoored. 

I think this is unfortunately going to be on the rise. The more prices come up, the more scammers and asses lurk and fuck it up for the good consumers. Greed does this to people.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

The worst I faced was a few years ago. I was looking for a nice sealed copy of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 for the Sega Dreamcast and found one (within my budget at said time) on eBay. The seller's profile said that they had a video game store in New York, which is where I thought the game would be shipped from. But they also used an image of the game's cover, which had me think they did not have a chance to take a photo of said game. Which had me ask them about the overall condition of the game, including any cracks in the case and if there was any tears in the wrap.

The response I got was "The condition is new."

I ended up shrugging and took a chance. The end result? Not only did it not ship from their business, the name from the sender was not them! It was shipped from Texas by somebody who has a shop on Amazon.com. When I found out who that seller was, I found out that they did not specialize in video games. So between that, the fact the case had a crack in the back, it did not come with a receipt, and was shipped in a pad-free envelope, I sent them a request to return the game and get my refund. They ended up ghosting me up until I ended up filing a complaint against them to eBay.

In the end they agreed to give me a refund, but I had to return it to the address on the envelope. Which was tied to a Amazon distribution center in Nevada. I did this, with tracking added, and waited for them to confirm the game was returned. Which again they would not do despite the fact tracking confirmed it was returned. And once again had to file a complaint to eBay on grounds that the store in question was ghosting me. And once again, that type of action was the only time they managed to respond. With no reason being said to why they had ghosted me. 😩

I mean, honestly... This happened long before people had the pandemic to excuse this type of behavior. And even though it was one of those cases that helped ruin any fun I had collecting games, I feel that @mlbfan10got the shittier end of the stick. Especially since Super Mario RPG is one of two SNES games I would love to own sealed!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, mlbfan10 said:

I won the Super Mario RPG last night and 2 hours after auction end, seller sold for $3300 to another buyer. I get it I took the risk bidding with a shoddy seller so I shouldn't be surprised. 

I get games are in huge competition but backdooring is bush league. 

If it makes you feel better, I won it for $1500 offer when it was initially listed, then he relisted back at auction 5 minutes later saying he had higher offers.  So it was backdoored twice!

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 6
  • Angry 7

9 hours ago, jonebone said:

If it makes you feel better, I won it for $1500 offer when it was initially listed, then he relisted back at auction 5 minutes later saying he had higher offers.  So it was backdoored twice!

Wow 😳 sorry Jone that's frustrating

Edited by mlbfan10
  • Like 1

I’d say report to report it to eBay but my confidence isn’t high they’d be banned (they’d also just make a new account so idk).

Seriously sucks. I’m terrified of this happening to me but I know my chances are lower for the titles I’m going after (third party Gameboy mostly).

• Like 2