IGNORED

Game Debate #63: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Game Boy

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.
  2. 2. Switch

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

I meant to mention this for the longest time (I guess I thought you guys might think it too weird or something) but my late wife loved hearts so naturally when playing a Zelda game I'd always say that I "won" or "found" her heart (container/piece) 😄   Though she said that I had already won her heart 🥰  So she now won't get to see me win her heart in this crane game 😞  Well if I ever get around to getting a Switch...

I can even win her heart in this auction 😄 

Edited by Estil
  • Sad 2

10s across the board though if a gun was against my head I'd go with the GBC version out of pure nostalgia. My first Zelda, my favorite Zelda maybe on par with Wind Waker. The game just has an incredibly special place in my heart. It feels more magical and charming than most Zelda's too. And I'll never forget how the game completely sold me on a game boy. Most game boy games looked like subpar NES games in black and white yet Links Awakening looked so much more epic than anything on NES, even rivaling SNES minus the colors. Then the GBC DX version came out and the perfect game was born. 

I was tempted to give both a 10. The original was super important to me. It was sort of my experience with the whole concept of what Nintendo would finally perfect with Switch. Which is to say, I used to play that game on my Super Game Boy when I was home, and then bring it w/ me on my GB when I was out and about. I'll be honest, I never did learn Spanish in high school, and I blame that partly on the fact that I used to play Link's Awakening in class.

That said, for me LTTP is a 10. And Link's Awakening is just below that. So, I settled on 9's for both. In reality, the remake is probably a 9.5 (not because of the updated visuals - which I do actually adore, but rather the fact that it utilizes all face buttons, so no more bringing up a menu to switch items constantly). At this point, I technically PREFER the remake, but I still love the original and it holds all the nostalgias for me.

I'd really love it if the two Oracle games got the same remake treatment in the same engine. As much as I LIKE those games, when I go back to them now the item switching thing feels like a real chore. Also, they're just not as good as Link's Awakening. But I'd still replay them if remade like this.

10/10 GOAT 

This game also has a cool origin story.  Basically a programmer at Nintendo was just fooling around to see if they could make a Zelda game on the GameBoy.  Eventually more and more people got involved until it turned into a real project.  That man was a hero.

• 3 weeks later...