IGNORED

CvK

DarkTone

CvK  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which company was better?

• Capcom
    • Konami

Back in the day, Konami for sure.  They took more risks and while they had some misses they had tons of hits.  Capcom really played it same and just kranked out more of the safe formula over and over.

Modern day.  Capcom no question, esp in recent years is prob the best 3rd party developer/publisher.  Konami is just a shell of it's former self, just focused on mobile and cashing in on old franchises.

Edited by fox
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 10:44 PM, fox said:

They took more risks and while they had some misses they had tons of hits.  Capcom really played it same and just kranked out more of the safe formula over and over.

That's a surprising approach, and I'm interested in hearing which games makes you feel point to Konami being more "risky"? I guess Mega Man is a good example of Capcom doing the formula thing, but Konami did that as well, with their series of nearly identical licensed beat'em ups being a good example, while Capcom's games of the same genre almost reinvented themselves for every game that wasn't a sequel.

• 1 year later...

I was super happy when Konami did the Castlevania, Contra, and Gradius Rebirth games on Wii. That was a final little hurrah before they died. It kind of amazed me that they were even able to pull it off, I’d have thought by that time, the types of developers needed to make those games had already all fled the company.

Today Inti Creates and WayForward and the spiritual successors to Capcom and Konami

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Nope, no change.  They still both aren't doing great things, but given what is there I'd still throw it to the husk of what was Konami to the win.  Past definitely, present, even if in some small part due to what they did with the PCE Mini release they get the win.  Capcom...ugh.  I guess there's what monster hunter/spinoffs?  Not much appealing otherwise, even found ways to screw the pooch with the SF franchise.

I do agree with phart though, those two companies kind of are what they were in another era.

Both were good, but for me it’s definitely CAPCOM, FTW.

No shame on Konami because they have a great, old school line-up but I’m mostly into there old NES.

My only real gripe was that DuckTales was too haaaard and I really wish they put a save battery in it. 😔

I like Konami's games better, but as a fan of both companies I think Konami's highs were higher than Capcom, but their lows were way worse than Capcom's lows. Capcom was very reliable, where Konami was either jaw dropping incredible or shockingly horrible. Their high points still edge out Capcom for me though.

It depended on the system too. They were rarely both incredible on the same system. Only really on NES, SNES, Wii, DS, PS, and PS2. Most other times only one of them would seriously support a system with many good games, where the other wouldn't.

• Agree 1

Let it be known that I have concluded that I am a Bandai Namco guy, even if they did neglect J World Tokyo (Ikebukuro's Sunshine City) before that was closed down. 😭

And also stopped serving both my favorite gyoza and everybody else's favorite ice cream flavors (ox tail and wasabi) at Namja Town! (BTW, I tried some icky flavor called "hot chocolate" when I was there in 2012.)

I mean I am with @Jynx on the whole high and lows part. But while I do prefer Capcom's library for the most part, the Konami Sports Club is something short of legendary to me!

I chose Konami, but I'll admit it's like choosing between my favorite foods (all are good, but which one today?).

Slight edge to Konami for making their games a bit harder than Capcom does, at least on NES.  High score challenges are much more interesting when the difficulty increases if you beat the game (rough example: Gradius > Legendary Wings).

• Like 1