IGNORED

CvK

DarkTone

CvK  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which company was better?

• Capcom
    • Konami

Out of Capcom and Konami, who put out the better games? I wanted this to be based on the 8/16 bit era (maybe 32) but feel free to go as far into the future as you want. 

With so many members here who played the older titles, I was interested in hearing who was the better company at releasing games, and why. 

• Like 1

The further you go out, the more Konami abandoned or phoned in their IPs and you get all of Capcom's biggest non-SF franchises Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Devil May Cry. For old stuff, both have killer platformers and shooters. Konami probably edges it out for me with more games like Metal Gear 2, Simon's Quest, and Snatcher that aren't just super good traditional action games.

Also gothic horror is cooler than blue robots if it just comes down to those two.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

I did Capcom.

I think Konami would win their #1 > Capcom's #1 though collectively Capcom has the better games and the variety as well. When you continue to the 8th gen then Capcom really does own the lead.

I can't believe you think Capcom leads when you bring it up to modern day. What has Capcom done lately? New Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, and Ghosts n Goblins games?

Can that compete with Konami's offerings like... THIS:

SXPEf4V.png

Ohoho, but that's only PS5! Don't forget about all the Konami Switch games, where we're probably seeing all-new franchises alongside not-just-remastered-collection sequels to beloved games like Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Castlevania, and Contra!

mHJ23Df.png

Wow Konami, you truly are the greatest. I look forward to many more years of you re-releasing hits such as Super Bomberman R, because lest we forget, you are also the stewards of the storied and iconic Hudson Soft franchises of old.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I really wish you would have limited it to a time frame.  Konami is more or less effectively dead, definitely borderline brain dead a good decade now pretty much.  But if you go back to the 2D era even earlier 3D era(first decade so 95-05) I'd probably favor them a win.  Right now, hot and cold Capcom, or waste of oxygen Konami... tough call.

• Like 1

I picked Konami for the Gradius series (although Gradius NES kind of sucks) and Castlevania. Contra, too, though that series ranks third for me. I also like their oddball Famicom stuff.

I like Capcom, too, but their big franchise stuff isn't really what I'm into. I'm not a big Mega Man fan (I don't hate it, it's just not my first choice.) The Disney games are decent, but I don't go nuts over them. I like 1943, Bionic Commando, Willow, and Gun.smoke. In fact, Gun.smoke might be my favorite early Capcom game.

Modern era stuff, Capcom, no argument. Konami seems more interested in making pachinko machines than quality video games anymore.

• Like 1

As much as I prefer Capcom's early stuff, and Konami has pretty much shot themselves in both feet at multiple points, I currently have to say that Konami is slightly better between the two. Especially since Capcom has not really done much to win me back, where as there is a rumor Konami is going to reboot Silent Hill... With a Japanese production team.

• Like 1

Even in the PS2/GameCube era, Capcom was clearly the better company. The Ninja Turtles games Konami made during this era are okay games, but can be frustrating (especially Battle Nexus) and are nowhere near as fun as the ones for NES. The Frogger games are reasonably good, but hardly contenders and it is a little disappointing that Frogger: Ancient Shadow contains a remake instead of an Emulation of the original Frogger Arcade game (especially since the back of the cover says it includes the original Arcade game). Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GameCube), Metal Gear Sold 2: Substance (Xbox), and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2) are all great, but why didn't Konami put more effort into some of their other games from established franchises during that era? I get that Metal Gear is a high-profile franchise, but come on.

Meanwhile, Capcom released six Resident Evil games for GameCube (including an amazing remake and two new games) and Outbreak for PS2, Killer 7, the Viewtiful Joe games, and a few awesome Mega Man games. Say what you will about Mega Man X7, but Mega Man Network Transmission, Mega Man X8, Mega Man X: Command Mission (GameCube version in particular) and Mega Man Zero are all excellent games (just because Network Transmission and Zero are hard doesn't mean they're bad). And Mega Man & Bass got a worldwide release.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

Man, I love both. Looking strictly at games it's almost equal. Castlevania and Mega Man are probably somewhat equal quality series to me, but then Makaimura edges out over most Konami stuff. Konami does have some slightly better shooters, especially with the Gradius/Parodius games, but neither were leaders in that field despite being well represented. Capcom, meanwhile, were killing it with beat'em ups, while Konami's are almost consistently "meh".

Looking at business practices, Capcom overall seems like a better company to work for, and Konami has always had a reputation of scummy practices. Nowadays of course, everyone hates Konami, while Capcom still makes the occasional brilliant move, which gives them another clear edge.

Those two companies are also some of the best represented developers in my arcade collection. I got at least 13 Capcom boards, while Konami gets in at 3rd with 8+ games, behind Taito's 11.  That's gotta count for something.

Overall it seems Capcom edges out Konami any way I decide to look at it, but it's a close cut for sure.

• Like 1

Both were tremendous back in the 90s where they were the 2 main third party companies outside of Nintendo and Sega. I grew up on the 16-bits and  my following comments will be for those platforms.

In terms of technicality, both were on par with each other. However, if we look at the number of excellent franchises, the variety and the level of innovation, I think Konami gives a little more out. 

For example, 3 Konami titles on the SNES that instantly pops to mind:

- Parodius

- Pop’n Twinbee

- Mystical Ninja

So much Japanese oddball humour and uniqueness by Konami back then! The only thing that Capcom wins hands-down is in the 2D-fighter genre. Overall Konami slightly edges out Capcom is my opinion (back in the 90s).

Edited by GPX
  • Like 1