IGNORED

Music Debate #113: Nirvana

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

10 for me.  The band that got me into music and guitar.  Some of their harmony and chord progressions are REALLY interesting because they don't follow any typical functional harmony.  Although personally, I love mostly the obscure stuff from the early days.  Some favorites, instead of your boring "Lithiums", "Rape Me"s etc.

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@spacepup sighting

Haha.

I gave it a 4.  It's just not for me and never was.  I remember when they were more relevant, and it just didn't do much for me then, nor later.  Your polls specifically mention the music and not things like historical significance, so that's where my votes come from.  I would never go out of my way to listen to them.

36 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I find the biographical information about Nirvana, the formation, success, fame, suicide, future of other members, etc, way more interesting than the actual music.

Have you ever seen the home Kurt grew up in?  Or any of the places he had lived?  Its hard to fathom when you see that, and see the venues they were playing in early 1989, that they went from touring in a van around the US and Europe later than year, to then doing slightly bigger things, then being the biggest band in the world by Jan 92, is really kind of a culture shock.  Kurt was a complex person.  He wanted fame, but not THAT much.  I think he resented Smells Like Teen Spirit because of that and all the attention it brought.  Of course, one of the reasons for his suicide.

For fun, here's Kurt at a White Zombie show in 1987  

r/Nirvana - White Zombie performing in 1987, with Kurt Cobain watching in the background [x/post oldschoolcool]

• Like 4

Administrator · Posted
6 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I believe this is my second 10 among the music debates.  I have all the albums, complete singles, box set and a couple bootlegs.  All of it's great.  

Which bootlegs do you have?   My favorites are Roma, Outcesticide II and Outcesticide IV.

Used to have more but sold a bunch off for fantastic prices.

5 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Kurt was a complex person.  He wanted fame, but not THAT much.  I think he resented Smells Like Teen Spirit because of that and all the attention it brought.  Of course, one of the reasons for his suicide.

I thought I read something way back where he made them leave all the feedbacky parts on In Utero trying to get fans to stop liking them?

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Which bootlegs do you have?   My favorites are Roma, Outcesticide II and Outcesticide IV.

Goddammit!  Just went to take stock and and they're missing.  I had kept Roma and Rare Trax+.  Missing my original Teen Spirit and Lithium singles too.  Fuck!

The singles I'm not too worried about, I do have the singles box single disc bootleg.  But that Roma was quality.  

4 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I thought I read something way back where he made them leave all the feedbacky parts on In Utero trying to get fans to stop liking them?

I don't think I heard that.  I think if anything, they didn't like how polished Nevermind came out, and thought they alienated their core fanbase.  Also a lot of those songs were written in 90/91 anyway (All Apologies, Rape Me, Pennyroyal Tea, Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, Dumb).  Even Frances Farmer and tourettes were kicked around in 92.

Also not like you asked, but I actually had every unique Nirvana show at one time on CDR.  Now you can find practically anything on youtube.  One of the greatest moments of my life as a Nirvana fan (prob the greatest) is when FINALLY after 31 years to the day, the only known recording of a live version of Big Long Now surfaced on Feb 9th.  Lots of fun stuff over at livenirvana.com.

On 8/13/2021 at 4:13 PM, guitarzombie said:

He wanted fame, but not THAT much.  I think he resented Smells Like Teen Spirit because of that and all the attention it brought.  Of course, one of the reasons for his suicide.

His ambition was to be somewhere near the level of Sonic Youth or the Pixies... he was hoping the extreme fame and attention would blow over.