IGNORED

So uh... when did Mole Mania like Sky rocket?

So I just checked mole mania for a Friend last night, and I was shocked. Loose over $100 and CIB & sealed 300+...

I took a year off collecting during COVID but this is rediculous lol

Sooo... Do we Blame Heritage Auctions, YouTubers now or COVID?

Screenshot_20210809-074411_eBay.jpg

Edited by OtraOtaku
  • Wow! 2

GPX isn't joking

I've been discussing this for months, more off site than on, but even now there's a couple active threads elsewhere discussing it.

Gameboy (branding 89-2000s) mostly avoided the price escalation, price fixing, mob mentality of missing out through even 2020.  If you check the sketchy but useful enough VPGC and just look at the line graph it's clear.  You'll see flatness on the whole with a very very low up tick on MOST games within inflation/reason.  THere were some true rare+popular or just rare that were and have been up (Tater, Kid Dracula, Spuds Adv, Fighting Avenger, etc.)  On the whole, most were flat, I'd even amusingly add in conversation for years GB was jerk proof, because like 90% of the library was (cart only) within the $1-30 range with a fair many in the middle/lower end of that.

2021 late Jan/Feb you can see the VGPC charts, it's like some base jumpers wet dream, a bit uptick very hard on some, ski slope on others.  The less loved stuff even doubled or a bit more, enough games hit the 2-4x as high prices.  The already rares seemed the lesser effected with slight increases or so like Kid Dracula still in the lower 300s up from maybe a high 200.  The only really 3D game the US got was Race Drivin arcade port which sadly is better than the console one (hah) and used to be impossible to sell for more than $2-5(tops) but now people will pay $10 on that...it's not liked by most.

Mole Mania while first party was never liked much, odd man out in Nintendo circles, it stayed very low, like Super Mario Land 1 and Tetris did for years around that $5 mark, even when SML hit $10-15 it still was $5.  Now look where it is.

Whether it's just fear of missing out, the mass seeing the general uptick biting, a colluded (not by intent) effort of many to see who can make the next highest sale.  Whatever it is, Gameboy is toxic as F right now, like Gamecube sadly.  A true buyer beware as it'll either keep going, or being gameboy will get a reality check and people will pay more than it's worth and have that consequence in a sooner than later readjustment.

• Like 1

It's a fun game made by Miyamoto if I remember right.  I got mine dirt cheap like 10-12 years ago, i think I saw it on a Racketboy list of good GB games back then.  Prices in general are nuts across the board.  Hello Everdrives!  Lol

Edited by LutherDestroysTheGond

Got to love toxic know it all know nothing youtubers with a base.  Their crap peddling nonsense has screwed up a fair many games prices going back to like nearly a decade now when cinemassacre got people all horny over Hagane among others where it went from a $10 game to like $400.  Personally I think it's intentional so people who have a copy/copies can make their stuff far more valuable by casual manipulation of FOMO sheep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw game play of Mole Mania on Retro Bird's channel, but it wasn't mentioned specifically, just background play while he talked about the subject of the video.

I googled it and there was a Nintendolife 'review' of the game that seems to have gotten a lot of looks. After seeing that Mole Mania was right up my alley, I picked it up on the 3DS e-shop so I could get to playing right away (while I bide my time on getting it CIB).

As an aside, I suspect that there are a fair number of people who are discovering the Game Boy library now; I am. I passed on the Game Boy in '89/'90 after trying it and finding it too difficult to view comfortably. This cut me off from hundreds of games over the course of the 90s that I'm just coming around to now (and loving). It's a pain in the wallet that complete games are as pricey as they are now, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles I suppose.  

I felt I got in late when I finished my set a couple years ago. I can't recall what I paid for Mole Mania, but about $10 sounds about right. Oddly enough, Toxic Crusader was one of the last 5-10 games I needed and paid about $100-125 for the first nice copy I saw in ages. That felt like a total rip off then, but now that seems cheap.

TL;DR: Prices really have gone wack. There is little rhyme to this reason and once a game heads north, rarely does it come back down much.

7 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

The same could be said for every year since 2009...this hobby's just fucking nuts sometimes.

So true. All that's needed is like 5 people in a row to pay a bloated price and then that bloated price is the new floor. Mole mania is the perfect example.

Literally couldn't sell for $25 for months/years. Then 5 people paid $30 and now the new good deal is $35

18 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

The same could be said for every year since 2009...this hobby's just fucking nuts sometimes.

At least it felt like a natural growth up until 2011/2012. Then everything started to change. Not sure what caused it to change but everyone says it was the famous Yahoo auction with Stadium Events. Yes...the almighty Yahoo auction that has the power to change everything. Then when investors entered the market in 2018, the market really went down the crapper.

• Like 1