IGNORED

Question for Dads and Moms about gamer rooms

Hey Playas,

I'm looking at a new home and thinking about where my game collection would go, and I had a thought. I was pondering how I'm going to look after my game collection when my son is in his teens. And maybe not really even him so much as his friends when he has them over or decides to through a party while I'm away. If the rate prices have been going continues I could easily get robbed a fortune by that time.

So obviously I want to keep things securely away, but I enjoy having a room full of game and all the hardware to play them, with a few items displayed, much like many game rooms.

What do the collectors here with older children do to keep there collections safe during this period in life?

• Sad 1

My game room is in the finished basement and there is only one entrance and exit so if I really felt the need I could add a deadbolt or a better lock to the door. I do also have a locking display case that my Zelda collection is in but I could move the actual expensive stuff there. I dunno though, having Samson on the shelf with all the other regular games is kind of hiding it in plain sight. You'd need a good amount of time to really think and investigate what to steal. 

Edited by a3quit4s

My kids are only 4 and 7.  Both of them are into video games, but they pretty much only play their Switch or a handful of games on my Super NT (Turtles in Time usually).  My entire game collection is in the basement on shelves right next to where they keep their toys.  The funny ting is that they are still too young to fully appreciate what they have available to them.  I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,600 games and I don't think they even realize it.  

At this age it simply isn't a concern.  The only thing I'm careful about is my collection of portable systems which are on display on a bookshelf.  Those tend to catch the eyes of kids and they want to pick them up.  I allow them, but only when I'm around.  Even at 4 and 7, they understand not to touch them if I'm upstairs.  It helps that they each have their own Switch that they can call their own.

But I guess the OP is more concerned about teenage years.  Unfortunately, I can't really help there.  I have no plans to make any changes to my setup in the basement.  My wife and I are not the type to go places without our kids.  I will be surprised if my kids go their entire high school career with a single weekend at home to themselves.  Both of my kids are still showing signs that they will be pretty much just like I was as a kid, which means they are not likely to be throwing parties and damaging/stealing property.  Yeah, I was pretty boring as a kid (and as an adult).

If you can't trust your kids, who can you trust? If your kids are throwing parties and you're getting robbed, then...

It's unimaginable to me. I invited some folks from my church over this Sunday, I know some of them definitely less than you know your kids...but I still trust them. 

If you can't trust your kids and their friends, there's big problems imo.

Editorials Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

If you can't trust your kids, who can you trust? If your kids are throwing parties and you're getting robbed, then...

It's unimaginable to me. I invited some folks from my church over this Sunday, I know some of them definitely less than you know your kids...but I still trust them. 

Good kids make dumb choices.  It all part of being a teenager.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juvenile_court

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Church? When I was in high school I was at a party and couldn't get in through the front door because there were a few hundred people already inside. Someone standing next to me smashed out the back window of the car, hundreds of people ran in every different direction and when we got far enough away, some guy opened his coat and pulled out a picture he stole from the wall and asked if I wanted to buy it. He couldn't sell it so he just threw it in the trash.

Your kid's friends or your kid's friends' friends don't care about your stuff and if you don't lock it up, you will probably lose it. I wouldn't keep a game collection if I had a teenager.

• Haha 1

Right now my son is four, and I'm not worried about trust. I'm thinking ahead, because the next home I purchase I plan to live in for a very long time. I realize a lock is the most obvious solution,  but depending on the layout of the home it may cut off access to other parts of the home, which could be important if in a basement. Unless I build an additional wall. 

The other thang is that I know in high school so , "friends" who would have no problem stealing from other "friends ". Even kicking in doors to steal plants. 

So it's not a concern for me now, just wondering what others in the position I'm talking about have done. But maybe the majority of us aren't there yet and we'll have all sold out by then outta fear of punk kids pilfering our shit.

For both game rooms, I've conditioned my kids to respect those spaces: being careful with the games, putting things away when not in use (like controllers, etc.), dusting and things like this. It's now to the point where the kids remind their friends to respect the spaces and things in them when they come over, and everything is always good (watching a new generation being introduced to arcade machines is great!).

Trust and honest, open conversation. Trust that your kids will make mistakes, but also that they will invariably do the right thing, choose to surround themselves with good people, and that you raised them to be good people.

In my eyes, the potential loss of a few games is not worth showing a lack of trust in my kids and putting up artificial barriers for them that would put that lack of trust in their judgement (including who they choose to surround themselves with) on display.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Renmauzo said:

Trust and honest, open conversation. Trust that your kids will make mistakes, but also that they will invariably do the right thing, choose to surround themselves with good people, and that you raised them to be good people.

In my eyes, the potential loss of a few games is not worth showing a lack of trust in my kids and putting up artificial barriers for them that would put that lack of trust in their judgement (including who they choose to surround themselves with) on display.

Agree 100% on this.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Renmauzo said:

For both game rooms, I've conditioned my kids to respect those spaces: being careful with the games, putting things away when not in use (like controllers, etc.), dusting and things like this. It's now to the point where the kids remind their friends to respect the spaces and things in them when they come over, and everything is always good (watching a new generation being introduced to arcade machines is great!).

It's not black and white.  There is a grey area.

I have three boys who will one day be 16, 16, 18.  If we leave them alone for the weekend I probably wouldn't choose to lay $50,000 worth of cash or jewelry out in the family room either.

At the very least I'd probably say that if they have people over I don't want anybody in the smaller media room, and being very firm about it.  Even then you're leaving yourself open.   And it has nothing to do with trust.  It has nothing to do with surrounding yourself with good people.  It's just risk management.  I mean, did you guys never have a party at your house and some friends of friends end up coming over?

Teenagers make poor choices.  You forgive them, and help them learn from it.  

• Like 2