IGNORED

The game room; a work in progress

Now get brutal

I'm almost finished with the shelving and built-in for the game room. I just need to paint a few more things, and I can start unboxing and setting up my collection again.

So.

The question is; How do I organize my shelves? I'm thinking of starting at the bottom shelf beginning with NES, for example, then progressing up to ceiling until the Switch. Or should I start with NES at the top and work down? Am I over thinking this? 

Ignore the tiered shelving at the bottom - that's for the N64 set.

IMG_20200727_183133.jpg

Edited by Now get brutal
Title update, tags added
  • Like 7
  • Wow! 1

It depends on the details, but I'm 100% for chronological order. Top-left, move your way to the bottom right.  I assume the middle shelves are for big boxes.  Those can be organized most aesthetically.

Really nice work! I can't wait to see the final product.

A rule of thumb from this Aspie: Organize it in a way that it feels both aesthetically and visually appealing to you.

I have personally found that building the ideal space is harder than filling it out. So if I had to make a suggestion, I would form sections based on 'genre' and see if that works. It might not look as uniformed, but doing something like that might help you get an idea on what you want to see. And that is the #1 goal you need to do for yourself here. 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bowser said:

Looks like you have doubles and triples of shitty N64 sports games 🙂 

According to my calculations you have exactly enough space for 300 N64 games. 10 rows, 30 games per row. Pretty sweet! 

Hahaha, you are correct about the shitty N64 sports games! I needed some cheap carts to test fit the tiered shelving during manufacturing. These were from the 99¢ bin, so I'd say they served their purpose well 😅

And, your calculations are pretty good!

Once I have the doors to the room painted and locks installed, I'll move the set over. These games are all within reach of my son and we're still working on 'no touching' 

Edited by Now get brutal
Additional response

7 hours ago, Now get brutal said:

Hahaha, you are correct about the shitty N64 sports games! I needed some cheap carts to test fit the tiered shelving during manufacturing. These were from the 99¢ bin, so I'd say they served their purpose well 😅

And, your calculations are pretty good!

Once I have the doors to the room painted and locks installed, I'll move the set over. These games are all within reach of my son and we're still working on 'no touching' 

I have a 3 year old son myself and I had no choice but to have some items within his reach. So along with working on 'no touching' I placed some Amiibo and various controllers on the shelves next to the more valuable games. That way he gets attracted to those first and doesn't feel the need to grab Bucky O'Hare 😄 

MX0LTRg.jpg

I also noticed in general if you keep these things accessible they lose interest in it quickly and are more likely to leave it alone. It's only when you restrict them it arouses their curiosity more and they're always looking for a chance to play with it. In my experience these child psychology tricks are more effective than locks. Plus it keeps my wife happy that part of the house isn't locked away all the time and restricting her ease of access to it.

For the first week or so I had to supervise him whenever he entered the room and deal with knocked over controllers and misplaced Amiibo but it was a small price to pay for the eventual peace of mind when he lost interest in the setup. Now he just comes in, plays with the Amiibo for a couple minutes and puts them back in their place and leaves.

Maybe every kid is different and I'm just lucky but it's probably worth a shot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bowser said:

I have a 3 year old son myself and I had no choice but to have some items within his reach. So along with working on 'no touching' I placed some Amiibo and various controllers on the shelves next to the more valuable games. That way he gets attracted to those first and doesn't feel the need to grab Bucky O'Hare 😄 

I also noticed in general if you keep these things accessible they lose interest in it quickly and are more likely to leave it alone. It's only when you restrict them it arouses their curiosity more and they're always looking for a chance to play with it. In my experience these child psychology tricks are more effective than locks. Plus it keeps my wife happy that part of the house isn't locked away all the time and restricting her ease of access to it.

For the first week or so I had to supervise him whenever he entered the room and deal with knocked over controllers and misplaced Amiibo but it was a small price to pay for the eventual peace of mind when he lost interest in the setup. Now he just comes in, plays with the Amiibo for a couple minutes and puts them back in their place and leaves.

That's not a bad idea actually. My son is also 3, so maybe I'll stock the bottom end of the shelving with low value titles so I'm not worried if they're tossed around. This way he can acclimate to a room full of games. Fingers crossed! 🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bowser said:

1 hour ago, Now get brutal said:

That's not a bad idea actually. My son is also 3, so maybe I'll stock the bottom end of the shelving with low value titles so I'm not worried if they're tossed around. This way he can acclimate to a room full of games. Fingers crossed! 🤞

Great strategy.

I never wanted to be the weirdo dad who has a bunch of toys that he never lets his kids touch, so I also make most of my amiibos available and just put high value items out of reach. My 4 year old is a fantastic kid, but he still gets grabby some times.

• Like 1

Update time

I started pulling games from storage - don't pay too much attention as they're currently just sorted by console. The statues are also just thrown on the shelf, as they were in the same boxes. I'll actually begin organizing once I have everything pulled out and sorted, and then can perfect the proper layout.

Last night I moved the drawers in, but they still need to be set. I have a few that need to be adjusted and leveled. I also need to do a little more paint touch up, then the N64 library can be moved in.

Progress is slow, but it's better than nothing.

Tell me what ya think!

IMG_20200818_213542.jpg

Edited by Now get brutal
Updated picture
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, drxandy said:

The shelving and drawers matching the framed matted art is so nice! Also I see that og Xbox stuff 🤓 very nice. 

Now fill those n64 shelves, it's looking like a big hotel air-conditioning unit 🥶😆

I just got the art back from the framer last week - pretty happy with how they turned out!

Nintendo Power 100 Controller: Exclusive to Nintendo Power subscribers in September of 1997, through the 100th issue of the magazine (Issue 100, September 1997). It could be purchased for $30.

Millennium 2000 Controller: Only available as a giveaway through the Nintendo Power magazine. 1,000 were given to subscribers who entered the drawing after submitting a postcard with their name, address, phone number and Nintendo Power member number. (Issue 128, January 2000)

DK64 Controller: Available to Nintendo Power subscribers in 3 issues (Issues 127 December 1999, Issue 128 January 2000 and Issue 129 Feburary 2000). By ordering the "Jungle Pack" members received the DK64 controller, a 12-month Nintendo Power subscription and the DK64 player's guide, all for $40.

I'll work on covering up that hotel air-conditioner 🤣

IMG_20200808_201853.jpg

IMG_20200808_201901.jpg

IMG_20200808_201906.jpg

Edited by Now get brutal
Added magazine information
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Little update time;

I'm still working on organizing games and moving the N64 carts into the room, but I've been side-tracked with getting all my consoles hooked up and working. I wanted some clean, mapped, cord management, but quickly released I did not have enough room. Instead I ended up with an organized rat's nest 😬

Between ordering the auto switchers, extension cords and surge protectors this project has taken about 2 weeks due to shipping. Once I run 2 more HDMI cables, I should be ready to haul the Trinitron in!

Here's to being once step closer to a finished game room! 🍻

IMG_20200915_204758.jpg

• Like 2

That looks pretty good all things considered.  The only way to truly avoid a "rats nest" of wires is to make custom length wires for everything and that isn't worth the time or the investment in my opinion.  What you have going there is the best option.  

Edit:  While I've done similar wire management in the past, I've never thought about adding pegboard to the back.  That's an interesting idea.  

Edited by TDIRunner

17 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

That looks pretty good all things considered.  The only way to truly avoid a "rats nest" of wires is to make custom length wires for everything and that isn't worth the time or the investment in my opinion.  What you have going there is the best option.  

Edit:  While I've done similar wire management in the past, I've never thought about adding pegboard to the back.  That's an interesting idea.  

I needed something to attach and fasten everything to; pegboard was my first thought. It allowed for me to use infinity zip ties and mount things in any direction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Now get brutal said:

I needed something to attach and fasten everything to; pegboard was my first thought. It allowed for me to use infinity zip ties and mount things in any direction.

I had been using zip ties the same way you were, but I was drilling holes wherever I needed them.  The pegboard is a much better idea because you don't have to drill holes, and it's easier to move stuff later if needed.  I will probably do something similar when my basement is done and I have to redo all of my console setups.  That's a great idea.