IGNORED

Movie Debate #81: The Empire Strikes Back

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

Not a popular opinion I know, but personally it's the weakest of the original 3 for me, not by much, but taking Hoth out of the picture, it's kind of flat.  Stars huge, just big time epic for what it was, then...it's there, as a bridge between the other two.

• Like 2

It was a tough, internal debate because giving any Star Wars film a 10 just feels over reaching, but it is by far my favorite Star Wars film. It always has been, and that was well before I knew it was suppose to be the right pick.

Since I have enjoyed Star Wars for my whole life and it's one of the most rewatch able films in the saga, I had to give it a 10. Not my favorite film, but probably in my top 5 and certainly in my top 10.

Edited by RH

I gave it a '10' because I ended up reading every professional and fan review that came out in 1980. The bickering one fan made, the panning a few professional reviewers made, and how everything got better when Return of the Jedi debuted is why it takes the first two slots (1st: final cut, 2nd: original cut) on my list. 🤓

I know I am going to get a TON of flak for this opinion, and even I myself am a little disappointed that it bothers me so much, but I gotta give this one a 9 instead of a ten.

This USED to be my favourite Star Wars movie, and I still believe it IS technically the best in the series. However, I just am SO distracted and put off by how fucking creepy and rapey Han Solo is in this movie, with Leia. Like he FULLY physically sexual assaults her in at least one scene, and it is just so repulsive to me.

So yeah, I knocked of a point for that.

This was the Star Wars I owned on VHS as a kid (It was recorded off the free week of Cinemax that our cable company gave once a year and glitched out during the scene where Yoda salvages the X-wing from the swamp) but I have watched this probably 10x more than any other Star Wars and I still love it.

PS. Why do they call it Star Wars and not Stars War? There's one war, fought among multiple stars.

think winter olympics team usa GIF