IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon!

BeaIank

Just now, NESfiend said:

Even though its a beat em up, its such a classic/staple in the NES library, I figured Bert would be a monster at it. Was def surprised there. More surprised @PIIdidnt do a sunday score update to kick me off the podium. He was at 222k wed or Thurs. I figured he was grinding trying to get to you and mbd territory. 

True. I expected the same, especially since Bert didn't even play through all of his lives. The 50k score seemed like he was just messing with us.

3 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Even though its a beat em up, its such a classic/staple in the NES library, I figured Bert would be a monster at it. Was def surprised there. More surprised @PIIdidnt do a sunday score update to kick me off the podium. He was at 222k wed or Thurs. I figured he was grinding trying to get to you and mbd territory. 

I didn't have much time over the weekend or I would have been grinding away.  I had a really great run late on Sunday that involved finishing off machine gun willy with headbutts for the first time, but I had changed my strategy somewhat for an unexpected drop in points...

Just now, PII said:

I didn't have much time over the weekend or I would have been grinding away.  I had a really great run late on Sunday that involved finishing off machine gun willy with headbutts for the first time, but I had changed my strategy somewhat for an unexpected drop in points...

I tried to headbutt Willy once and it got me shot, so I gave up on that approach and worried about just getting to Jimmy with as much energy as possible.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I tried to headbutt Willy once and it got me shot, so I gave up on that approach and worried about just getting to Jimmy with as much energy as possible.

There's a safe spot where he can't shoot you. Then you can bait him into shooting by kicking or punching and then get free headbutts on him. I didn't do it in my 345k run because it's kind of cheap. I'd have had over 350k had I done it.

N

9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

There's a safe spot where he can't shoot you. Then you can bait him into shooting by kicking or punching and then get free headbutts on him. I didn't do it in my 345k run because it's kind of cheap. I'd have had over 350k had I done it.

I actually thought about having seen you post how to cheese the final boss section on NA by finding a safe spot. Was wishing I knew how to access old threads to check it out. Thought it would be pretty lame to ask during competition. I want to beat it legit anyhow. Did a casual run after close of competition last night and made some progress on him. Pretty brutal when he kills you, it resets that whole line of enemies, so the one life I had on reserve wasnt that helpful. 

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

N

I actually thought about having seen you post how to cheese the final boss section on NA by finding a safe spot. Was wishing I knew how to access old threads to check it out. Thought it would be pretty lame to ask during competition. I want to beat it legit anyhow. Did a casual run after close of competition last night and made some progress on him. Pretty brutal when he kills you, it resets that whole line of enemies, so the one life I had on reserve wasnt that helpful. 

There are at least a couple different safe spots for the Machine Gun Willy fight.

I don't have a consistent strat for the final boss. I just use elbows and kicks, and hope for the best.

21 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I tried to do it like the video and somehow got shot. I gave up on it since I didn't want to risk an hour long attempt for a few thousand extra points.

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I tried to do it like the video and somehow got shot. I gave up on it since I didn't want to risk an hour long attempt for a few thousand extra points.

Another safe spot is at the very bottom of the platform with your foot right above the bricks.

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Lol yeah, you definitely should have beat me. Laying headbutts on machine gun willy is straight up crazy.  

Ha ha, yeah; I'll getcha next time.  It's also easy to walk him off screen to either side and get him with the elbow.  I'll have to try that with headbutts as well sometime and see if it works..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PII said:

Ha ha, yeah; I'll getcha next time.  It's also easy to walk him off screen to either side and get him with the elbow.  I'll have to try that with headbutts as well sometime and see if it works..

I guess you could headbutt him using that trick standing at the bottom of the screen. I'll have to try that.

42 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Congrats on the win, @Bearcat-Doug. Busting out of retirement in style with a monster win. Glad your back in the mix and hope it continues!

Thanks! @mbd39 really pushed me to the limit on this one. As quickly as you were improving, you probably would have been right there with a few more days to practice. 

• Like 2

• The topic was unpinned