IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon!

BeaIank

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

ok at those scores are weak i think one of the greats cleared it under 12k or something ridiculous.

@rdrunner

Probably figured out how to scroll every enemy off the screen.  I worked hard at it, but it can be pretty maddening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

i knew it was close i was sweating it cause i was talking shit all week. 

look at those scores are weak i think one of the greats cleared it under 12k or something ridiculous.

Rdrunner got 18,800 in the 2013 tournament. I'd like to see what Bea could do with that. Under 12k has been done in Double Dragon 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Rdrunner got 18,800 in the 2013 tournament. I'd like to see what Bea could do with that. Under 12k has been done in Double Dragon 2.

Me and arnpoly got 12k in the Double Dragon 2 low score contest, but Bea got 9,800 if I remember correctly. I never did figure out how to get a score that low.

• Like 1

All this talk about low score contest is making me really grateful most/all contests last couple years have been high score.

I played NES for decades without ever paying attention to scoring before competing. Now Im an absolute glutton for watching the score go up. To a fault really. I spend all my time maximizing scores on first couple levels and never really move on to focus on progress. Stupid? Yes, but its GODDAMN FUN

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

All this talk about low score contest is making me really grateful most/all contests last couple years have been high score.

I played NES for decades without ever paying attention to scoring before competing. Now Im an absolute glutton for watching the score go up. To a fault really. I spend all my time maximizing scores on first couple levels and never really move on to focus on progress. Stupid? Yes, but its GODDAMN FUN

This is the way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

i remeber my first low score contest. it was rush n attack. it fried my brain. its a one hit death and we were playing no death. battletoads low score fried my brain too.

i get stuck trying to maximize too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

i remeber my first low score contest. it was rush n attack. it fried my brain. its a one hit death and we were playing no death. battletoads low score fried my brain too.

That Rush N Attack contest was fun. I hadn't played it before then, but I really liked it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Legendary Wings low score seems really tough. It's an easy shooter but not playing it pacifist.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I'd like to see what Bea could do with that. Under 12k has been done in Double Dragon 2.

I am not sure I have it in me to manage to get a sub 20K run in Double Dragon.
Double Dragon 2 was a fun challenge back in the day and I still managed to lower that score on the youtube video.
But Double Dragon 1 is a different beast. They had no fucking idea how to program it when they did it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

I am not sure I have it in me to manage to get a sub 20K run in Double Dragon.
Double Dragon 2 was a fun challenge back in the day and I still managed to lower that score on the youtube video.
But Double Dragon 1 is a different beast. They had no fucking idea how to program it when they did it.

But you love broken games. See most of your favorite games.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Same here. It just depends of how much time I have over the weekend to work on it.

I'm using a risky strat that takes forever (necessary for getting the highest scores). One little mistake means having to start over.

5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I'm using a risky strat that takes forever (necessary for getting the highest scores). One little mistake means having to start over.

I can clear the game in under 15 minutes playing normally, but these high score runs take about an hour. Hopefully I can give it another shot over the weekend.

On 7/29/2021 at 4:22 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

@rdrunner

Probably figured out how to scroll every enemy off the screen.  I worked hard at it, but it can be pretty maddening.

Not all of them. 🙂

If I remember, my actual score was for the low score thing was just under 20k.  I believe there was a bonus for not dying that made it look lower.

18 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I can clear the game in under 15 minutes playing normally, but these high score runs take about an hour. Hopefully I can give it another shot over the weekend.

Well I broke 300k but I'm still disappointed because I should have had over 330k but I choked. I was on the best pace of my life.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1