IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon!

BeaIank

11 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Incoming 500k score confirmed.

Lol I wish. Wont be back with the nes til much later tonight. May be able to get one more run in and up it to like 250, but its you and michael show for sure. @PIIlurking as well. Happy with where I got never having played for score. Feel like I built enough foundation that I could potentially be up battling for it if we ever play it again

8 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Lol I wish. Wont be back with the nes til much later tonight. May be able to get one more run in and up it to like 250, but its you and michael show for sure. @PIIlurking as well. Happy with where I got never having played for score. Feel like I built enough foundation that I could potentially be up battling for it if we ever play it again

You definitely seemed to be on a good pace. I'd like to make a run at 400k some day, but there's no way I'm hitting that tonight.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Curious where @Dr. Morbisis on this one. Figured hed be putting up a monster score here. 

No time this week - gonna have to phone it in.  I'll see if I can get something above participation...

EDIT: Okay, just played one game of this (for the first time in 20 years) and here's what I came up with.  I should have more time for Wrecking Crew.

Double Dragon.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 6:50 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

20210801_152352.jpg.c5212db91e2103119a9d88b88fe8de5d.jpg

Hey man, where did you burn your lives? I burned them running out the timer in the forest in mission 3, mainly focusing on the Chins and Ropers. Most lucrative area for point pressing as well as being easy to do so. That left me with one life by the time I got to the caves, but I had a shitload of points. I started mission 4 with close to 270k so I could play it kind of safe and still get well over 300k.

Edited by mbd39

Just now, mbd39 said:

Hey man, where did you burn your lives? I burned them running out the timer in the forest in mission 3, mainly focusing on the Chins and Ropers. Most lucrative area for point pressing. That left me with one life by the time I got to the caves, but I had a shitload of points. I started mission 4 with close to 270k so I could play it kind of safe and still get well over 300k.

I used the elevator section of Mission 4. I could stand by the first door and just keep headbutting the Williams as they came out. I had tried the beginning section once like in the video, but I figured my way was safer.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I used the elevator section of Mission 4. I could stand by the first door and just keep headbutting the Williams as they came out. I had tried the beginning section once like in the video, but I figured my way was safer.

Yeah. I considered point pressing there, but those Williams get so aggressive that I decided not. I take a lot of damage from them. Maybe I should have tried.

5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

So that section is actually where I screwed up hard. I got a few of those guys with lots of headbutts, but I kept knocking them down a level and it takes forever for them to climb back up. Hadnt played that part this whole competition, so I didn't know how much time platforming portions took. You and @mbd39are gods amongst men here, but if we ever play again, ill be nipping at your heals next time! Crazy scores and efforts made the thread really fun to keep up with 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah. I considered point pressing there, but those Williams get so aggressive that I decided not. I take a lot of damage from them. Maybe I should have tried.

I made a point to stay toward the middle of the platforms after getting knocked off once yesterday. Getting to that section with all my lives pretty much guaranteed a good run.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I thought you would show up with a 400k score at the last minute just to torment me for old times sake. @NESfiend was probably secretly watching for it too.

Even though its a beat em up, its such a classic/staple in the NES library, I figured Bert would be a monster at it. Was def surprised there. More surprised @PIIdidnt do a sunday score update to kick me off the podium. He was at 222k wed or Thurs. I figured he was grinding trying to get to you and mbd territory. 

Just now, NESfiend said:

Even though its a beat em up, its such a classic/staple in the NES library, I figured Bert would be a monster at it. Was def surprised there. More surprised @PIIdidnt do a sunday score update to kick me off the podium. He was at 222k wed or Thurs. I figured he was grinding trying to get to you and mbd territory. 

Bert did well in the 2016 low score contest, but he doesn't seem to like Double Dragon games much.