IGNORED

Million Dollar Mario...1.56M...What the..?

1 hour ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Haha, I definitely will be chipping something in soon. I have so much to do, I moved last week so shit be crazy at all times and I need to sit down at some point and hammer some stuff out. 

Thanks for the update. Gives us more perspective on the situation. Still an unbelievable end price, but good luck to ya! 

On 7/25/2021 at 6:31 AM, a3quit4s said:

So HA gets the buyers premium and the 10% commission since its an online auction and has no auctioneers?

All Heritage Auctions auctions have auctioneers. When the online auction ends, it determines the starting bid for the live auction which is a live auctioneer with a hammer and you can bid on site. When that auction ends, then it's sold.

8 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

All Heritage Auctions auctions have auctioneers. When the online auction ends, it determines the starting bid for the live auction which is a live auctioneer with a hammer and you can bid on site. When that auction ends, then it's sold.

I took a shot every time you said auction. I may have alcohol poisoning now. 🪦 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

It doesn't only determine the 'starting bid', though. The high online bidder's max bid is "in play" in the live auction.

Say A and B were bidding in the online portion. A's max bid was $495. B's max bid was $1000.

When the online portion ends, it will show the current high bidder as B at $500 (assuming an increment of $5), and that's where the live portion will start. If C, at the live auction, bids $600, they are not now in the lead; since B's max bid is $1000, then B will automatically become the high bidder at $605 (or whatever the increment is). This is why, if you watch the livestream, you see a pattern where it takes a while for a live bid to come in, then an "online bid" immediately comes over the top of it.

B's bid is only 'exhausted' if someone in the live auction bids over $1000.

Edited by AdamW

10 hours ago, AdamW said:

When the online portion ends, it will show the current high bidder as B at $500 (assuming an increment of $5), and that's where the live portion will start. If C, at the live auction, bids $600, they are not now in the lead; since B's max bid is $1000, then B will automatically become the high bidder at $605 (or whatever the increment is). This is why, if you watch the livestream, you see a pattern where it takes a while for a live bid to come in, then an "online bid" immediately comes over the top of it.

Why not bundle it into one? On ebay's auction, its very simple. Unless HA strategy is to be fair to bidders?

3 hours ago, AnimalHouse said:

Why not bundle it into one? On ebay's auction, its very simple. Unless HA strategy is to be fair to bidders?

Aiui it's because they still really think of themselves as a live auction house, with the "advance bidding" as a kind of tacked-on feature. It got very weird with covid because all the "live" bids were still coming in over the internet or phone somehow, but that's just how they see things. I dunno if they have actual live auctions back yet or not...

1 hour ago, AdamW said:

Aiui it's because they still really think of themselves as a live auction house, with the "advance bidding" as a kind of tacked-on feature. It got very weird with covid because all the "live" bids were still coming in over the internet or phone somehow, but that's just how they see things. I dunno if they have actual live auctions back yet or not...

In June they auctioned the part of the Promise Collection ($22m of comics) and apparently a couple guys total showed up the live auction per a Youtube video I saw from one of the guys who traveled to see it. It was all phones and internet. Sounded like a fun place though, just rooms and rooms full of cool expensive stuff.

• 1 month later...

Womp womp womp.... Looks like Super Mario 64 ISN'T worth a million and a half dollars after all! Who could have guessed! 🤣

MY biggest question now is how much further is the price going to DROP on the next sale? 🤔

IMO Mario 64 is now on the "Atari Spiderman" trajectory, no way the next WATA 9.8 A++ breaks half a million, the floor has fallen out beneath it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Womp womp womp.... Looks like Super Mario 64 ISN'T worth a million and a half dollars after all! Who could have guessed! 🤣

MY biggest question now is how much further is the price going to DROP on the next sale? 🤔

IMO Mario 64 is now on the "Atari Spiderman" trajectory, no way the next WATA 9.8 A++ breaks half a million, the floor has fallen out beneath it.

It’s a weird thing to profess a love for video games and video game collecting and still root for the failure of a fellow collector.  Sorry you never got asked to the dance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, Ricky Winterborn said:

It’s a weird thing to profess a love for video games and video game collecting and still root for the failure of a fellow collector.  Sorry you never got asked to the dance. 

And what are you going to say when every collector finds out that they severely overspent on a Wata 9.8 A++? In the end those who have listened are going to this with @OptOut while the rest wish they had listened. 👍

Then again... The money I both saved, and the value my collectible has gained, has me feel like this. All because I chose to focus on what I am collecting, and not what kind of grade it was given at said time. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it's like a stock market at this point.  It's a normal Fibonacci Retracement, and those levels are typically: 23.6%, 38.2%, 61.8% and 78.6%, though 50% is commonly used.  There's your 50% pullback from highs.

It's not going to be Spider-man Atari though, Atari was dead as a collectible long ago and that was a manufactured hype push.  N64 growth is legit and organic, even though investors / speculators sent prices to the stratosphere.  High grade will always hold somewhere in the 6 digits at this point IMO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jonebone said:

Well it's like a stock market at this point.  It's a normal Fibonacci Retracement, and those levels are typically: 23.6%, 38.2%, 61.8% and 78.6%, though 50% is commonly used.  There's your 50% pullback from highs.

It's not going to be Spider-man Atari though, Atari was dead as a collectible long ago and that was a manufactured hype push.  N64 growth is legit and organic, even though investors / speculators sent prices to the stratosphere.  High grade will always hold somewhere in the 6 digits at this point IMO.

97FAB778-6197-4E05-AC7D-77672A574265.gif

• Haha 9

8 hours ago, Ricky Winterborn said:

We’re rooting for transparency and fairness. And who exactly is making a loss here? This is a perfect example of the market being a “market”, with price fluctuations. A good moral story, from my personal viewpoint.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, jonebone said:

On the one hand you’re basically saying there are shenanigans going on. On the other hand, you’re making a conclusion based on the same shenanigans. 

My take is that, we can conclude that the next Mario 9.8 A++ will be anywhere between 6 to 7 digits. But then it could go for 5 or 8 digits.

• Like 1