IGNORED

Million Dollar Mario...1.56M...What the..?

1 hour ago, tbone3969 said:

Oh it's real.  Iconic game and only one of five in that grade known to exist.  

This is an argument that could be made for or against whether or not it's worth the money it was purchased for.

On one hand, it's one of only 5 games of this grade.
On the other hand, a grade could be considered subjective and arbitrary.

• Like 1

The first million dollar video game, a historical piece, a graded-copy masterpiece, a kinda common game but in kinda rare condition, ladies and gents....we have a current winner, Mario 64 WATA 9.8A++!

What in the heck..?

OMG, I need SpecSavers..?

What should I be thinking right now..?

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/11/22572688/super-mario-64-most-expensive-video-game-ever-heritage-auctions#comments

Relevant high-pricing Mario data, in the last 12 months:

• July 10th, 2020: copy of Super Mario Bros. sells for $114,000
  • November 23rd, 2020: copy of Super Mario Bros. 3 sells for $156,000
  • April 2nd, 2021: copy of Super Mario Bros. sells for $660,000
  • July 9th, 2021: copy of The Legend of Zelda sells for $870,000
  • July 11th, 2021: copy of Super Mario 64 sells for $1,560,000

Edited by GPX

1 minute ago, jonebone said:

I have a 90+ and was getting 75k offers unsolicited in January. I agree the price may seem crazy but I've been saying for years nostalgia drives prices. The N64 is too new argument is no longer valid. 

N64 is the perfect age group for the bitcoin generation, which is driving a lot of the surge in collectibles. I am hardly surprised it was an N64 game, though obviously the speed at which it has happened is incredible and I would not have predicted topping 1.5.

N64 library as a whole is blah, but man the top 5 games on the system can compete with any ever.

19 minutes ago, jonebone said:

I have a 90+ and was getting 75k offers unsolicited in January. I agree the price may seem crazy but I've been saying for years nostalgia drives prices. The N64 is too new argument is no longer valid. 

I don't think eleven more theoretical copies in that condition existing will impact the price that was achieved.

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

A big congratulations to you!

Do you plan on selling it, cross grading to WATA (and sending it to HA), or keeping it? 

10 hours ago, Deadeye said:

Why such a high amount?  Is there something significant about this particular sealed Super Mario 64?

It’s got the number 9.8, the letter A and 2 plus signs. That’s a winning combo!

But I see you’re asking specifically why it’s going at this much?

I dunno.

9 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

A big congratulations to you!

Do you plan on selling it, cross grading to WATA (and sending it to HA), or keeping it? 

Why would you cross it, they'd hit you with a severely large bill (1% or 2% of value?)  No reason to right now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mijael said:

I wasted time in my morning arguing at FB with a guy who thinks this was a good investment this will probably  worth 5 millions in 5 years 

I'm not saying he's right but at this point, I can't say he's wrong.