IGNORED

Dumbest Health Power-Ups?

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

Castlevania's health-restoring "wall meat" gets a lot of flack for being a silly power-up, but at least the "meat = energy" idea makes sense.

There has to be some bigger offenders out there in terms of dumb health restores - so what are they?

-CasualCart

1579545823_CastlevaniaWallMeat.jpg.47fb1822e684ebb0628a614a3b25ad28.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Haha 4

My entry is going to be for the ketchup (I believe) jelly beans in A Boy and His Blob.  At least in the original release, you couldn't actually get the blob to eat them outright.  To do so, you'd have to throw some that he would eat at him then quickly machine gun a ketchup after the fact.  As I recall, it turned him into a brick wall that did literally nothing in the course of the game.  It wasn't able to block enemies, it's not used to facilitate any sort of movement, etc., so it's literally worthless.

The whole "wall meat" thing never made sense to me beyond the literal idea of someone finding meat that had been sealed up inside of a wall for potentially decades or centuries and being happy to chow down.  In that light, sure, it's silly, but within the game itself it's absolutely great, as it's basically the only way to heal yourself outside of completing a level.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Castlevania's health-restoring "wall meat" gets a lot of flack for being a silly power-up...

Is Bayou Billy better or worse when the meat is dropped by random strangers?

Anyway, another silly one is the hidden cigarette in Golgo 13.  Instant short term life refill, unknown long term side effects.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DarkTone said:

Guess the same can be said for RPGs. You defeat a skeleton or blob monster, and they drop food, health potions, elixir, gold etc. 

Yeah, how is a friggin' Slime carrying around any gold?!?  It doesn't even have pockets!  Hell, it doesn't even have hands to put into the pockets to retrieve their gold when it comes time for them to spend it...  And what would a slime spend his gold on, anyway, for that matter???  The questions go on and on...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Estil said:

How about aftershave in Home Alone games making you invincible for a short time...even though Kevin screams in the movie from it burning his face AND that classic face is used anytime Kevin loses a life in those games!

I've gone decades looking down on this game, oblivious to the fact that it's dumber than I thought..

Probably along the lines with "wall meat" from Castlevania, what about trash chicken from Final Fight/Streets of Rage?

My health is low from being beat up by Donovan and Galsia. I'll eat this fully cooked chicken I found in the trash in a very sketchy part of the city.  Everything will be fine!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, how is a friggin' Slime carrying around any gold?!?  It doesn't even have pockets!  Hell, it doesn't even have hands to put into the pockets to retrieve their gold when it comes time for them to spend it...  And what would a slime spend his gold on, anyway, for that matter???  The questions go on and on...

Maybe since it's a slime and has control over its blobish power it dissolves living matter and keeps the rest? 

I can't think of any dumb health related power ups buy piggybacking off of what you said CasualCart, I always thought hearts being the ammo for your special weapons in Castlevania made no sense. I remember playing a Castlevania game for the first time and kept wondering why I'm collecting all these hearts but my health wasn't increasing.

• Like 1

I'm going to go with fuel tanks in games like Zaxxon and Scramble.  In these games, you have to blow up the tanks to collect the fuel.  While it makes sense that fuel would be needed to keep the ships going, destroying the tanks to collect it does not.  Not quite a heath power up, but they serve a similar function.

On 6/23/2021 at 6:03 PM, darkchylde28 said:

My entry is going to be for the ketchup (I believe) jelly beans in A Boy and His Blob.  At least in the original release, you couldn't actually get the blob to eat them outright.  To do so, you'd have to throw some that he would eat at him then quickly machine gun a ketchup after the fact.  As I recall, it turned him into a brick wall that did literally nothing in the course of the game.  It wasn't able to block enemies, it's not used to facilitate any sort of movement, etc., so it's literally worthless.

The ketchup jelly bean does have a purpose though.  It allows you to get the blob back near you if you become separated.  The blob will teleport to wherever it lands, allowing it to "catch up" with you.  I see the brick wall as more of an easter egg for people who figure out how to trick the blob into eating something he doesn't want.  

19 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Guess the same can be said for RPGs. You defeat a skeleton or blob monster, and they drop food, health potions, elixir, gold etc. 

Not a slime or skeleton, but The Bard's Tale pokes fun at this phenomenon with a confused narrator:

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 6:36 PM, Code Monkey said:

mushroom = large?

flower = fire?

leaf = raccoon?

feather = cape?

It makes no sense.

The mushroom making you grow large comes from Alice in Wonderland, which was said to be inspired by the fly agaric mushroom which has a red cap with white spots and has been heavily featured in a variety a fictional mushroom-based works, including Super Mario and the Smurf village.

A feather making you fly, most likely comes from Dumbo

Leaf = In Japanese mythology, the Tanuki used leaves to help them shapeshift

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's funny you say that, because they've retconned the red slimes into being females in the remakes of the DQ games, so now, blue slime = male, and red slime = female...

On a slightly related topic I have often wondered why there was only one smurfette.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

On a slightly related topic I have often wondered why there was only one smurfette.

perhaps smurfs are actually genderless?  or maybe it's more like what Gimil says about dwarves, where there are females but you just can't tell them apart? Smurfette was created by Gargamel to infiltrate the village, and perhaps he assigned her a stereotypical feminine appearance based on his presumptions about gender?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

How about not so much dumbest but confusing?  Castlevanias rotted wall meat is a given, but what about hearts?  They tend to in games before/after that restore health, not add one tick to a secondary item usage.

Kid Icarus used hearts as a sort of currency... very confusing.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Basically any type of health restore in any game that's meant to be realistic.  The actual people fighting in World War II didn't just pickup a first aid kit and go on fighting.  And they certainly didn't heal themselves by "taking cover."

True, but the game probably wouldn't be any fun if you got hit one time and then had to fall over, wait for assistance, probably go to some hospital or wait for first aid, and then maybe or maybe not play again.

Or a WW game where you get shot one time and then it's game over, ha.

7 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Gargamel made a female to trick the males. But being positive changed her heart and made her good, so they let her stay. 

Also, brunette = evil. Blonde = good.