IGNORED

What TV you gaming on?

a3quit4s

Retro, this gen, whatever. I just bought a LG CX 65 OLED yesterday (Saturday delivery!) to replace my 3-4 year old Samsung LED and I'm pretty excited to see the difference on Series X and PS5 when it gets delivered. For retro I'm on an older 55" Sony XBR LCD that I had before the Samsung. I play on Analogue consoles and everything else uses composite and up. I used to have a 27" WEGA or maybe it was a 32" but it took up alot of space and I really hated the Sony XBR OS so when I got the Samsung I moved the XBR into the retro room. Nothing gives me more nostalgia than playing the games so the medium I play them on doesn't matter to me. 

Edit: I can't remember what I did with the WEGA, maybe stuck it on the curb and someone grabbed it?

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I have a 4K gaming monitor from Acer I think. Works quite well.

I've always been a die hard CRT guy, but I've made peace with the fact that they're more trouble than they're worth.

Currently using a retro tink to hook up consoles but will be splurging on a MisterFPGA soon

4 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Couple of decade-ish old Vizios.  Waiting for the older one in the basement to die so I can buy a new…Vizio.

I have an ancient Vizio back in my laundry room that keeps on trucking.

But I seem to recall "back in the day" that Vizio were refurb/rebadged Sony, but now they definitely make their own TVs, so I'm not sure the quality of "new Vizio" necessarily matches the original TVs.

7 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I have an ancient Vizio back in my laundry room that keeps on trucking.

But I seem to recall "back in the day" that Vizio were refurb/rebadged Sony, but now they definitely make their own TVs, so I'm not sure the quality of "new Vizio" necessarily matches the original TVs.

Huh.  I did not know that.  We lost the sound on the one we had in the bedroom about 2 years ago and replaced it with a new one. I’ll get back to you in 8 years or less to update 😝

For my classic console hook-up (NES/SNES/GEN/PS/TG-16/N64/Atari, I've got a 20" Toshiba CRT that I absolutely love. Amazing color and sharpness. It has one slight flaw in it symmetry which I'm not sure can ever be resolved (it slants ever-so-slightly down toward the left side) but I'm going to be heart-broken the day it decides to fail on me.

For my more modern consoles, I just moved into a new house and upgraded my media set-up to be able to watch 4K movies. I settled on a Hisense H9G. It's a 55" 4K ULED that gives some pretty amazing picture quality when it comes to movies...but it's merely serviceable and even a little underwhelming when it comes to gaming. I mean, the games work and look just fine but the color-saturation when it's in Game Mode seems a little washed-out to me and the contrast isn't great. The only other complaint I have about it is that it doesn't handle judder/image scrolling particularly well...but neither does any modern flat screen TV. 99% of the time it isn't even noticeable...but on the occasional "sweeping movie shot", it rears its ugly head and is really distracting. Other than those nitpicks, it was an excellent buy and definitely worth it's relatively low price-point.

Edited by Webhead123

I got a Kolin. My old CRT crapped out on me at one point, it's now sitting on the balcony, where it will remain even after I move out of this apartment.

I struggled to find a replacement CRT, none of the second hand TV shops even had any, anymore. So I posted on a local FB group asking where I could get a CRT (or if anyone knew someone who could repair mine), and another expat, from Australia, said she had a CRT she had been wanting to get rid of for ages, yet couldn't be arsed to do so. She was quite curious why I wanted a CRT, so I explained it to her, haha, she was amazed.

So we arranged a date, I went over to hers and she left me have it for free, I just had to transport it. She was located about twenty minutes away from me, so I carried the damned TV back to mine, walking through downtown looking like an idiot, all the while the corners were digging in to my hands and I was struggling to find a comfortable position, giving how TVs like this aren't balanced in their weight.

Got it back, the guy that owns the flower shop next to my apartment was outside, assembling bouquets. He smugly asked, "Got a new TV?" Probably felt bad that I couldn't afford anything better, if only he knew the truth..

IMG20210611132932.jpg

Ive got CRT’s. A Daewoo and a JVC. The Daewoo has easier access for hooking up RF only consoles, the JVC is for everything else. The only thing that goes on a modern tv is the Switch. Ive tried to player older games on a flatscreen for a time when I got a Retron 5. Didnt feel right, and have no desire to do that anymore 

• Like 2

The answer for me is several.

For arcade stuff, odd's are I'm playing it on my baby PVM-8041Q test monitor. For typical evening games (PS4 with the buds) I play on some samsung 20" LCD I bought at salvo for like $10.

toob2-1.jpg.b4984500481e53ebbf94703be9c5

If I'm actually sitting down to play a console game or something, I have some better TVs in my bedroom.

toob3.jpg.3180fbb3fde00239854c73eeb700be

Also got this wega that I play games on periodically.

toob5.jpg.9425099f1e8460d0cf0c8b2ccd0c6c

(pictures lifted from tv tangental thread I made a week or two ago

On 6/10/2021 at 7:57 AM, a3quit4s said:

Retro, this gen, whatever. I just bought a LG CX 65 OLED yesterday (Saturday delivery!) to replace my 3-4 year old Samsung LED and I'm pretty excited to see the difference on Series X and PS5 when it gets delivered. For retro I'm on an older 55" Sony XBR LCD that I had before the Samsung. I play on Analogue consoles and everything else uses composite and up. I used to have a 27" WEGA or maybe it was a 32" but it took up alot of space and I really hated the Sony XBR OS so when I got the Samsung I moved the XBR into the retro room. Nothing gives me more nostalgia than playing the games so the medium I play them on doesn't matter to me. 

Edit: I can't remember what I did with the WEGA, maybe stuck it on the curb and someone grabbed it?

You are in for an absolute treat with the CX. I have a 65 inch LG E6 OLED from 2016 and the picture is still absolutely beautiful. It's the higher end model with the ultra thin glass backing and attached speaker bar. That stuff is all fancy and nice, but I actually didn't buy it for any of those upgrades. I bought it because the E6 is one of the very last consumer TVs with 3D and one of very few OLED tvs with 3D capabilities. Unfortunately, the process of adding 3D functionality to OLED TVs lowers the overall brightness which is a problem for HDR. It's a damn shame that 3D was sacrificed for brightness since the 3D effect is awesome on OLED sets and, even with the lower max nits, movies and games still get plenty bright in a dark room. 

I don't plan on getting rid of my current set any time soon, but I've been eyeing the 83 inch LG OLED C1 to upgrade to 120 Hz capabilities and replace my projector. The only thing holding me up (besides the price) is the fact that the CX and C1 have issues with near blacks when using VRR. Well, if I'm gonna pay a ton of money for a new TV, I want to use the VRR on my Series X and I don't want to have to adjust the near blacks every time I boot up a new game.

I know, major first world problems here. Anyways, I may wait for the C2 next year and hope they keep the 83 inch model. If they scrap that model or still have the near black flickering for a third year straight, I'll just buy the C1 and save a few bucks.

I play on a 27" Sansui CRT with S-Video and component. It's SD so I can't go above a PS3, but that's fine as I don't play many new consoles. I laugh about it as it really is an "end of an era" unit; I bought it, new, from a Sears in 2008. I don't know that you could get a TV at Sears at this point, much less find an open Sears store. Amazing how times change.

I also have a Sony Bravia 30" LCD which is pretty old, as it only goes up to 1080i. Got it from a donation shop. It does the job for some HD PS3 games and for switch when I hook that up.

Now I mostly play on handhelds or on my PC, for which I have an asus 1440p@144hz 27" monitor and a lenovo 1920x1200 24" display turned vertically. I mostly play 10+ year old games, so even though I have a dated graphics card, I still push triple-digit FPS on the games that I care about, so that's more than adequate for me.

I've been considering recently getting a cheap used projector to watch movies or games, but I don't know if it's really worth it. I imagine most good projectors for games are too expensive, and I'd be bothered if it didn't support anything but movies (not much of a movie watcher after all).

On 6/11/2021 at 4:59 PM, DoctorEncore said:

You are in for an absolute treat with the CX. I have a 65 inch LG E6 OLED from 2016 and the picture is still absolutely beautiful. It's the higher end model with the ultra thin glass backing and attached speaker bar. That stuff is all fancy and nice, but I actually didn't buy it for any of those upgrades. I bought it because the E6 is one of the very last consumer TVs with 3D and one of very few OLED tvs with 3D capabilities. Unfortunately, the process of adding 3D functionality to OLED TVs lowers the overall brightness which is a problem for HDR. It's a damn shame that 3D was sacrificed for brightness since the 3D effect is awesome on OLED sets and, even with the lower max nits, movies and games still get plenty bright in a dark room. 

I don't plan on getting rid of my current set any time soon, but I've been eyeing the 83 inch LG OLED C1 to upgrade to 120 Hz capabilities and replace my projector. The only thing holding me up (besides the price) is the fact that the CX and C1 have issues with near blacks when using VRR. Well, if I'm gonna pay a ton of money for a new TV, I want to use the VRR on my Series X and I don't want to have to adjust the near blacks every time I boot up a new game.

I know, major first world problems here. Anyways, I may wait for the C2 next year and hope they keep the 83 inch model. If they scrap that model or still have the near black flickering for a third year straight, I'll just buy the C1 and save a few bucks.

Which 3D TV model is that exactly? I definitely want to get a good 3D display before they all get wiped away by entropy. Been thinking of replacing my "modern" tv for a while, so if there's a good model I could find on clearance or something then that would be great.

The TV I have is the LG E6 (OLED65E6P; https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/e6-oled). It's five years old and essentially impossible to find at this point, so you'd kind of just have to stumble on it. The E6 was one of the higher end models and probably didn't sell as well as the C6 which also does 3D, so you might try looking for one of those. Unfortunately, the C6 has a curved screen, which is a big negative for me.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Social Team · Posted

So almost all consoles  go to my new office/game room TV, Samsung Q60R 55" (https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60-q60r-qled).  It's a nice budget 4K TV.  Our PS4 is downstairs on a barebones budget Samsun 65" 4K TV that I'm not happy with.  But OLED TVs were still too expensive and our old TV was just too damn dim to be used any more.  We'll replaced that main TV in a couple years.  

I'm using my grandma's barely used Samsung she had in her bedroom before she passed, it's like 3" bigger than my old vizio and has like a 2-3ms better display lag time rating too for old school gaming which is a plus.  It's not huge, low 30s in size, and that's fine I don't need a monster and it does 1080p which is perfect.

• Like 1

Loving the LG CX it's crazy that when there is black in the picture its the same color as the bezel and it makes the other colors stick out. I had to mount a new wall mount though the VESA holes on this TV were much lower than my old Samsung though. I needed a new wall mount anyways because the old one I had was really close to the wall and changing cables around was a bitch. I got one that extends out 5 or so inches and also tilts. I've only been playing pubg so that isn't really a good trst of the picture for gaming but I'm thinking of getting ratchet and clank so we will see

• Like 1

12 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Loving the LG CX it's crazy that when there is black in the picture its the same color as the bezel and it makes the other colors stick out. I had to mount a new wall mount though the VESA holes on this TV were much lower than my old Samsung though. I needed a new wall mount anyways because the old one I had was really close to the wall and changing cables around was a bitch. I got one that extends out 5 or so inches and also tilts. I've only been playing pubg so that isn't really a good trst of the picture for gaming but I'm thinking of getting ratchet and clank so we will see

Welcome to the big leagues. OLED forever!