IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Battletoads!

BeaIank

3 hours ago, arnpoly said:

563,500 (503,500 + 60,000)

Maybe a disappointing score to some, but this was the best I could pull off.  I was able to beat every stage deathless in practice, but stringing it altogether is really tough.  I do want to do a pure deathless run someday without warps, and now at least I know I can.  I decided to do one run warpless, with regular play, just to hit the 500K mark and that's the run I kept.  (This run died in Karnath's Lair lol.) Couldn't make it past Robo-Manus in an actual run of this with warps.  But anyway I usually have a death or two in Terra Tubes, and I'm not great at The Revolution or Dark Queen yet as far as no deaths.  I did get pretty consistent no-deathing Rat Race and Clinger Winger though, that's good at least!

ZSSftpfl.jpg

It turns out that a no death run is a major undertaking. I've no deathed all of the levels individually at some point, but stringing together an entire run is a nightmare even with warps. Just too many opportunities to eff up. This contest has improved my game a lot though.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

It turns out that a no death run is a major undertaking. I've no deathed all of the levels individually at some point, but stringing together an entire run is a nightmare even with warps. Just too many opportunities to eff up. This contest has improved my game a lot though.

Yeah, this game has RNG elements in Surf City, Volkmire's Inferno and Terra Tubes. So most times, no death battletoads is literally luck based.

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

Crazy point racking. Im picturing level 2 birds getting kicked around like its an smb3 contest. Are there any other spots to that point you can rack up big?

Yeah I got quite good at it out of neccessity, but I was always strong at it from previous contests.  

im disappointed in myself.  I started late but still had a good schedule of time laid out.  But I wasted my best hours today re-learning snake pit when I didn’t need to, my original goal was get to Intruder Excluder just shy of 500K to score 605K.  Looks like its only 1 placement point difference if I would have pulled it off? I also hadn’t realized how high 500 was, so I was actually mostly practicing low score and skipping the first two levels.  In the last few hours I changed to try to farm and then get to Intruder, but it threw me off, and turbo tunnel psyched me out after being easy early on with the warps.  Sigh.  I do feel like I have a solid battle plan for level 2 now in the future because i no longer feel obligated to pick up an early sword, or one at all, from the crow.   Aaagh I’m really frazzled

6 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Current standings posted.
Next time, I will up the stage bonus to make it have more weight in the final score.
Hope you all have had fun in this week with those rules.

Lol, the scores make it look like first and second place are close and they are actually not!

I had a blast with this contest. I'm getting back into this game now.

2 minutes ago, Krunch said:

I do feel like I have a solid battle plan for level 2 now in the future because i no longer feel obligated to pick up an early sword, or one at all, from the crow.  

This is crazy. The crow racking seems so much easier with the sword. Id love to see a short bit of video if you are getting 10k on most crows. Thats nuts. 

I saw level 4 a bunch with lives already burned. Played around a little and didnt get far or score well. Have to check out some video to see what its like played well

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

This is crazy. The crow racking seems so much easier with the sword. Id love to see a short bit of video if you are getting 10k on most crows. Thats nuts. 

I saw level 4 a bunch with lives already burned. Played around a little and didnt get far or score well. Have to check out some video to see what its like played well

I'm terrible at hitting birds, always have been. I have to rely on score and 1ups strewn throughout levels for extra lives.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Current standings posted.
Next time, I will up the stage bonus to make it have more weight in the final score.
Hope you all have had fun in this week with those rules.

Amazing ruleset!  I thought it was really neat how it opened up options, not usual for these contests

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Amazing ruleset!  I thought it was really neat how it opened up options, not usual for these contests

Yeah, these rules allow you to choose your path based on your abilities. Like you can try for low score to get the big points at the end or get a higher score earlier on. My plan was to get to Rat Race or Clinger Winger and i came close.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah, these rules allow you to choose your path based on your abilities. Like you can try for low score to get the big points at the end or get a higher score earlier on. My plan was to get to Rat Race or Clinger Winger and i came close.

Indeed.  Even if I would have pulled off my optimal (1-2-3-4-6-8, 605K+), it's still under what you were able to do, as it should be, since what you did is harder.  At any rate the 1-life factor just pressed me too hard, my nerves were shot even on turbo tunnel, I never even farmed then got to Ice Cave and im not super amazing at ice cave without dying too. Just glad I was able to make breakthroughs on these goddamn birds and the first level kinda which im gonna post about in response to nesfiend here to give me the top turbo tunnel spot.

43 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Maybe it's just me but I like using feet better.  Hey I did say that in some other thread lol.   However I really like having the sword for that one bird that comes up really close under the blue electric line, but I just grab that sword from the previous bird now.  I think maybe on that last burner run or maybe my second last I didnt even get the second last but slayed the troublesome bird anyway so it's evident for me at least that im better without it.

Bird running total = 500, 1250, 2250, 4250, 9250, 16750, 26750

at 26,750 a bird thats pretty hefty and I surely am not getting all of them, though I do give em all a fair shake

I have some tips for the 1st level but it's not really farming, more like simple optimizing during the enemy battles.

im always going for 5000 finish hits, and taking time especially on the 2nd flying pig, got me between 88000 - 94000, I never got the true optimal.  Other than the first two pigs at 5000 each (and the last pig), land pigs are worth 6500 (headbutt 1000, kick while down 500, finish 5000 hit).  Yellow cranes are the same.  The 2nd flying pig is similar I would get 2000, 2000+500, then 5000 for the finish for 9500 (10,000 is probably possible by kicking him while down first time as well, but maybe not because that might trigger the finish on the "2nd round" too early.  not sure)  Boss is 14000.

and on the Third level before speedcars:

I think the first 2 rats might be weaker, but the later rats you can hit em into their gopher holes for 2000 twice, then a 5000.  You can kick em a bit for 500's but same as flying pigs im not sure cause you want a "3rd round".  9000 each off those 4.  I just realized now that you can get minor points off the space invaders, but I forgot about that and didnt do it in my run.

[Alternatively, for low score, you can take the pair of rats out for only 2000 total by letting them hit each other to 1 dmg then delivering final blow with headbutt]

I'm gonna upload a video sometime in the next bit here to show you but I am by no means optimizing that level.  And I did make true improvements on it out of sheer desepration ie my stupid plan didnt work.    It's probably possible to reach 500K before the end of Level 2, cool goal???

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Krunch said:

You’re a Battletoads master, wild card wins are always the best ones.  Well done shaking up the leaderboard, think you’ll tune in to any more games on the roster? 😉

I appreciate that brother, I'll tune in for more since you fellas are epic to talk to. 

• Like 2

Well I hate it, but I didn't get the chance to play any more than 5 minutes this past weekend.  I tend to play at night once the house has gone to bed, but I couldn't these last few nights. My health has been having issue flair ups lately.  Not a big deal, but the first thing it disrupts is my sleep.  So, I went to bed early the past few nights exhausted.  Oh well.  This was a really fun challenge, and I'll likely play Battletoads a few more times before moving on to Silk Worm.